Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's the video games

Site Supporter

It's the video games

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...deo-game-chart

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...e-guns/596296/

Two stories about video games and crime/rampages, etc.

The evidence that video games are causal in crime/rampages is very weak as pointed out. The literature reviews are pretty clear about that. One problem is that the gun rights world tried to blame the games to shift emphasis from the guns themselves. That doesn't work but the NRA tried it. Folks also tried general mental illness and autism. That didn't work and had the risk of using many disorders to take out many, many gun owners with a link being demonstrated.

I think it's the hip-hop music.

I noticed on the Vox chart that they only have "violent gun deaths", not all violent deaths.
    Last edited by Guerrero; 08-19-2019 at 02:14 PM.

I don't blame video games for mass shooters, but I think there are some kids who shouldn't play violent video games, and that they could be one of many things that might lead some kids to be violent, but without parents being willing to monitor and restrict what their kids are exposed to based on maturity level and other factors, there's not much to be done about it. Getting Uncle Sugar involved ain't the answer either.

I don't believe that all mass shooters are mentally ill either. I think it's entirely possible that some people are just evil and know the consequences of their actions will be very painful for people.

I think violent video games are actually a good and healthy outlet to vent your anger if thats the way you choose to do it. nothing feels quire so good as just going postal in a GTA game. same goes for music, loud fast or just violent music is an amazing way to filter or deal with your "not so nice" emotions and thoughts. keeping that shit inside is no good for anybody man.

If video games make us violent then South Korea will be a super power once drone tech is fully weaponized

Last edited by Artemas2; 08-19-2019 at 03:56 PM. Reason: better example

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    If video games make us violent then South Korea will be a super power once drone tech is fully weaponized

I remember seeing something similar a while ago and two colleagues were freaking out about one dudes APM...

It's basically speed-tracking the observe-orient and action phase in a way...

So cool

It's the video games

Yup. It’s the video games. At any point me and every friend I grew up with who played Contra and Doom are bound to slaughter every one around us.

The spoon has made me a fat ass.

My cellphone has made me ignorant to the world.

My truck has made me lazy.

The liquor made me a mean bastard.

Boxing has made me violent.

WE ARE WHO WE ARE. What we do with and how certain things affect us are directly related to how our brain is wired. Nothing makes us do anything. We have these tendencies inside us. Some help them come to the surface but they did not manufacture thoughts in our heads. I am sick and tired of blaming inanimate objects for a HUMAN problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Trukinjp13; 08-19-2019 at 05:34 PM.

There were no video games when I was a kid, so we mowed down imaginary Japs, Krauts, and Indians.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    There were no video games when I was a kid, so we mowed down imaginary Japs, Krauts, and Indians.
    Sometimes grandpa got in the act and got the drop on me...

Name:  FullSizeRender (4).jpg
Views: 222
Size:  26.6 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    same goes for music, loud fast or just violent music is an amazing way to filter or deal with your "not so nice" emotions and thoughts. keeping that shit inside is no good for anybody man.
    I actually kinda wonder about this. The popular music that's in distribution for kids and teenagers has consisted of zero percent testosterone for at least the last 15 years. When I was in my angsty early teen years, there was GNR, Metallica, the Crue, AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc. They seriously helped. Still do.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List