Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Thought Experiment: ~$60k "performance" Small-ish SUVs

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    Rob, did you pull the trigger on one of your options? You could also be the first guy on your block to get the new Defender 110.
    As the title implies, it's mostly a thought experiment or excuse to talk cars.

However, I like the look of the Defenders but the costerformance ratio for my "urban" needs probably isn't there.

If i were buying, I still don't know what I'd actually get:
    Maccan is what I emotionally want but not sure about the size, $erformance, and potential insurance costs. Oddly also the second slowest of this list, 0-60.
    XC60 T8 gets me in the HOV lane (I think) which could be huge, but doesn't really have any emotional attachment potential.
    X3 M40i, good performance, I like BMWs, but still unsure. Appears to be quickest 0-60 of the four.
    Explorer ST has good size, but slowest of the 4 theoretically, and $60k for an Explorer?

If I went with the Maccan or the X3 I'd likely lease though. Scratch that "midlife crisis" itch, pay the price and move on. Would almost certainly buy in the case of the Explorer. Jury is still out on the XC60.

Site Supporter
    After my only foray into turbo charged bmw performance sedans I'd go with the Porsche. My bmw was beautiful, fast, and horribly unreliable. I dont hear the same about the Porsches but don't have personal experience in that brand at this time.

I'd drive another turbo BMW but I won't buy one.

I don’t know that I’d ever buy an Alfa, but the Stelvio thing is kind of interesting. Closest competiror that I can see is the x2m m35 but that’s. It even really accurate.

front Rear cargo
    Make Model Trim MSRP OAL OAW OAH Wheelbase Turn Leg Head Hip Leg Head Hip seat up seat down engine HP 0-60
    BMW X2 M35i $46,450 172.2 71.8 60.1 105.1 37.2 40.3 39.8 36.7 37.1 21.6 2.0L TT 302 4.9
    Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport AWD $47,545 184.6 66 111 36.6 40.2 35.9 38.9 18.5 56.5 2.0L i4 turbo 280 5.4
    Last edited by rob_s; 11-03-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Before buying remember that Alfa Romeo's corporate parent is FCA, and there are parts from FIAT vehicles in the Alfa Romeo vehicles.

Not all 0-60 numbers are equal. I think you're getting too fixated on them, especially since you've already discarded "track performance" numbers over what's relevant as a daily driver. A car with a slightly slower 0-60 number can still be more fun to drive than a car with a faster 0-60 number depending on the torque curve, gear ratios, ect.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Not all 0-60 numbers are equal. I think you're getting too fixated on them, especially since you've already discarded "track performance" numbers over what's relevant as a daily driver. A car with a slightly slower 0-60 number can still be more fun to drive than a car with a faster 0-60 number depending on the torque curve, gear ratios, ect.
    It's a thought experiment. It's just a number. I think you're too fixated on what I'm fixated on.

that said, this is SE Florida, where there really isn't much opportunity for "fun" driving beyond getting on the on-ramp and hammering the gas, or stomping on the gas to pass that slow-ass carpetbagger in the left lane doing 55.

If I was looking for a "fun" car I'd just buy a used Miata for 1/6 the price and be done.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I don’t know that I’d ever buy an Alfa, but the Stelvio thing is kind of interesting. Closest competiror that I can see is the x2m m35 but that’s. It even really accurate.

frontRearcargo
    MakeModelTrimMSRPOALOAWOAHWheelbaseTurnLegHeadHipL egHeadHipseat upseat downengineHP0-60
    BMWX2M35i$46,450172.271.860.1105.137.240.339.836.7 37.121.62.0L TT3024.9
    Alfa RomeoStelvio Ti Sport AWD$47,545184.66611136.640.235.938.918.556.52.0L i4 turbo2805.4
    While it is a bit larger than you probably want, I would still look at the new Explorer. My car was in for a warranty issue (paint on the hood bubbling up) and the dealership gave me a 4cyl model for a loaner for the last week. The 4cyl is actually much more livable than the previous base 6. I would look at an ST with a couple options if I were in the market. It doesn’t drive as big as it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    While it is a bit larger than you probably want, I would still look at the new Explorer. My car was in for a warranty issue (paint on the hood bubbling up) and the dealership gave me a 4cyl model for a loaner for the last week. The 4cyl is actually much more livable than the previous base 6. I would look at an ST with a couple options if I were in the market. It doesn’t drive as big as it looks.
    Particularly because if I do end up buying a small-ish suv it’ll be a couple of years from now and I’d be able to find one used, the Explorer is probably the one I’d want. The Volvo, just to get the T8 and get into the HOV lane legally, might be the one I’d actually buy. Don’t think I’d buy a hybrid used though. in fact, not sure I’d buy, and not lease, a hybrid at all.

However (and the Explorer isn’t the only vehicle guilty of this, the SRT versions of the Cherokee and Durango are even more guilty, albeit with even more performance) it’s hard to get over a $36k vehicle with $24k with of bolt- and glue-ons to make it a $60k vehicle. Yes, I realize it’s not quite as simple as that, but conceptually it still sticks in my head.

pretty interesting to see what they can force out of the Explorer ST

Let’s do the same experiment but on a large sized SUV (Navigator XL, Yukon XL Denali, Suburban, Expedition), and cap the price tag at say $100k?
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List