Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Thought Experiment: ~$60k "performance" Small-ish SUVs

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    This. I looked at many of these options and ended up with a 4Runner TRD Pro.

One option I haven't seen mentioned is the Alfa Romeo Stelvio. I think it is one of the best looking in the class. Handling is supposed to be fantastic. 0-60 is 5.4 seconds in the standard model or 3.3 if you want to go over budget for the Quadrifoglio.

I'm not a huge fan of the partial self driving features. Once all cars are driving themselves I might consider it, but until then I don't really want anything taking the control away from me.

Also, none of them seemed reliable enough for me to spend my money on them, and I would have to imagine the Alfa Romeo would come in pretty close to the bottom of the pack in that regard.
    Hahahaha.

I had a bunch of Alpha rentals when I lived in the UK in the 90s. I was even going to order a 164 as my company car, if I’d stayed beyond 5 years. Engine and gearbox were like dating a supermodel. But actually using an Alpha as a car - with trivial things like Windows you’d expect to stay up, or windscreen wipers that usually worked? Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    It's underwhelming in a 3000 pound GTI. 0-60 in 6.0 seconds? Rob_S wants to buy an SUV that's that fast.
    That 2018 Macan is 4,100-4,200 lbs, iirc, Rob. It was a slug.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I dunno dude, I'm at a point where I can buy pretty much whatever I like within reason, and got a crew cab Silverado (which was on the far right ass end of reason). Course that was also the only vehicle I wanted.

In regards to your point B: my parents bought a Lexus car, and paid less than what several people we know spent on loaded Big 3 SUV's. And they still got the "someone's making money" comments. Not that my parents give a shit, nor should you. But if that effects your social life, might be something to consider. 70k Tahoe doesn't raise an eyebrow, but a 50-60k Euro SUV has you rolling in dough.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    ...One option I haven't seen mentioned is the Alfa Romeo Stelvio. I think it is one of the best looking in the class. Handling is supposed to be fantastic. 0-60 is 5.4 seconds in the standard model or 3.3 if you want to go over budget for the Quadrifoglio...
    I have an Alfa Giulia. One of the best cars I have owned. Highly recommended. Drives like a sports car.

Far different than Alfas of old.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    That 2018 Macan is 4,100-4,200 lbs, iirc, Rob. It was a slug.
    Well I am wrong; the "new Macan" base model has a 2.0T apparently, still. So, no V-6 unless you spring for the S.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/macan/macan-models/

0-60 in 6.3s, per Porsche, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    I have an Alfa Giulia. One of the best cars I have owned. Highly recommended. Drives like a sports car.

Far different than Alfas of old.
    Good to hear. I still lust after an Italian car. Wierd, but true. Glad to know they are making them better these days. Car is a looker, for sure.

Having driven the Q5, Macan, and Macan S - I unequivocally say Macan S hands down. I don't have as much wheel time behind a standard Macan, but as reported earlier I also found the base four-cylinder engine anemic (this engine is shared by the Q5 and base Macan). The Macan S is much more spirited. What separates the Macan from the Q5 is the steering and suspension; the Porsche DNA is evident when you steer a Macan - it feels precise and planted - whereas the Q5 displays more body roll.

There is also the SQ5 to consider; despite being an Audi fan, I doubt it will favorably compare to the Porsche.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    My first thought about a performance SUV would be to not buy an Uber expensive new SUV. If I wanted a new off road SUV ? I would start and stop with a Toyota 4Runner. If I wanted something fast for the street? I would look for a used Chevy Tahoe. I just googled them found a 2011 Tahoe special service with 59k mikes for 15G. A plain white police Tahoe. Bigger brakes and a super charger- I would be laughing from gas station to gas station. Comfortable, fast, stealthy. What’s not to like?
    Last edited by Poconnor; 08-19-2019 at 08:09 PM.

@rob_s,

Given you've thought about the impact in your social circles of showing up in European luxury car, I would strongly recommend you test drive the Explorer with the 3.0L engine. Contrary to the emotions evoked in some circles by European luxury brands, a nicely appointed Ford says, "Successful hard working American". For $60k, you should be able to get a fully maxed variant which is actually appointed quite nicely.

The Explorer is awesome. I had one for 2 years, but with the smaller engine. The handling is superb for an SUV, and the ride quality on the highway was simply great. The power of their higher end turbocharged 3.0L is fucking great, I've never felt an SUV move like that. IIRC it's about 400hp.

While the Tahoe is a good SUV in its own respect, the stability is nothing like the Explorer. You might think that handling qualities are only important for people actually doing track days, but I'd say the opposite. Handling is super important even for the standard American driver, where you WILL, at some point in your life, perform a swerve-to-avoid at high speeds.

There's very few cars that I felt handle as well at 100mph as the newer generations of the Ford Explorer. Remember, it's still the only pursuit rated SUV in production.

Can't hurt to test drive it.
    Last edited by TGS; 08-19-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

My wife had had the GLC300, which is the base for the AMG, for a couple years. We have been super happy with it. I have some concern for long term cost but for now we are as happy as we can be.
    Last edited by Bratch; 08-19-2019 at 08:10 PM.

User Tag List