Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Thought Experiment: ~$60k "performance" Small-ish SUVs

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Posting from my work, so I don't have time to research my own question: was the Durango updated for 2021 like the Jeep Grand Cherokee (same vehicle under the skin)?
    Don't do that.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    man I'm liking this thing more and more...

The Cement color is attractive. You'll see lots of that in 2022. Dodge has done the engineering to be competitive. I wish I could say the same about Toyota.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    So, I guess it depends on what you want it to drive like - a car, a performance sedan, or a truck?

The Macan/Q5 are effectively the same vehicle. And they share the same underlying chassis as the Audi A-series sedans. They drive far more like front-wheel drive sedans with some power going to the back wheels, than a RWD car.

The BMW is based on the shared platform for their sedans and roadsters, but is built from the ground up to be RWD. Adding X-Drive, makes it drive more like an all-time 4WD Jeep than an AWD car, which I actually find better, it really digs in and transfers the power around as necessary. I want to think the BMW has a higher towing capacity than the Porsche/Audi, but I could be wrong.

I can't comment on the Volvo's drivetrain. I haven't driven a new Volvo in 20 years. I don't think I could be convinced to buy one, lots of electrical problems with them right now.

The Explorer - well the new 2020 is a RWD chassis that is getting rave reviews right now. I haven't had a chance to drive one, but I'm definitely interested in the ST model myself. The previous gen was definitely more car than truck like, but the 3.5 AWD ecoboost Police Interceptor package is a fun vehicle to drive. Much faster than an old Crown Vic and extremely stable at speed.
    That should give the soccer moms a thrill but it lacks the Land Rover pedigree. It's still a Ford.
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-15-2021 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Passed on driving a Taycan b/c I need a small SUV so waiting on the '23 Macan to drop + it gives more time for the ETX infrastructure to develop.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/2022-po...230799?mod=mhp

2022 Porsche Taycan: A Tesla Rival That’s Eye-Catching—but Pricey
    The all-electric Porsche Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo costs more and has a shorter range than Tesla. But with relatively few in production, this gorgeously styled roadster has the power to make people look twice.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

The all-electric Porsche Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo costs more and has a shorter range than Tesla. But with relatively few in production, this gorgeously styled roadster has the power to make people look twice.
    Alright ya got me stopping by Park Place next month but having just lateraled from a Ridgeline & CGTS to an XC60 I'll only be wasting my SA's time until the grid builds out more in 2-3 yrs.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

The Taycan is by far my favorite E vehicle right now. And it’s built by a real car company.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Don't do that.
    I didn’t, you quoted a near year old post. I went F150.
    #RESIST

I considered many of the vehicles in the OP, but I live further from town. Mpg and reliability are key factors for me. I ended up going with a Rav4 Prime. Currently I'm averaging about 2.5 tanks (11 gal from light on, to full) per month (about 2500mi driving). While one typically does not consider a rav4 a performance vehicle, it does do okay, as my videos below will show. The handling isnt on the level of the AMG and M cars, but 65mpg buys a lot of tolerance, and the super low CG at least keeps it pretty flat.

Name:  received_630765478304131.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  61.7 KB
    Name:  received_228637269256412.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  42.6 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20211024-010918_Gallery.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  49.4 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I like it in concept, but it's a 6-second vehicle at best until you get to the SRT which puts it above my imaginary $60k "limit".

The good news, however, is that it's closer in OAL (at 189") to the XC60/Macan/SQ5/X3 (~185") than it is to the Explorer (199"). In a 20ft garage every little bit helps.

I can't believe this current design has been around since 2011!
    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ee-2021-spied/
    Stop looking at 0-60. Look at 5-60. Most magazines brakeboost the shit out of automatics to get the very best times. Your real world 0-60 in YOUR hands can be 1+ second worse, unless you plan to brakeboost, as well. 5-60 will tive a kuch more accurate sense of an SUV/CUVs real world performance as far as you're concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Stop looking at 0-60. Look at 5-60. Most magazines brakeboost the shit out of automatics to get the very best times. Your real world 0-60 in YOUR hands can be 1+ second worse, unless you plan to brakeboost, as well. 5-60 will tive a kuch more accurate sense of an SUV/CUVs real world performance as far as you're concerned.
    It’s just a number and a relatively consistent way to compare across models. I’m not really concerned with how it relates to “real world” just how they relate to each other.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List