Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Range rules: shooting vs. brass collecting

Range rules: shooting vs. brass collecting

Folks, I need some help. My home range (Tri County Gun Club) doesn't have an explicit policy regarding who has priority on our action range: shooters or brass collectors.

Today my buddy and I wanted to use a bay, but a guy was collecting brass. He had not been shooting--just wanted the range brass. We asked him to leave so we could shoot, but he refused. I phoned the RO, but things didn't go as I expected. The executive RO showed up and ruled that the brass collector could stay in the bay since he was there first.

Do you have any documented policy from ranges with action-shooting type bays? I'm trying to convince our Board that we need a policy that gives shooters priority over brass collectors.

--Thanks--
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

No documentation, but isn't the place a "shooting range"? Brass rats should simply make a deal and say, "I'll take off for X minutes if you let me come back and grab some of your brass too." Why is it so difficult for people to just be humans these days?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BaiHu; 04-14-2017 at 10:47 PM.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Unless it was his brass from the shooting he just got done with he can GTFO. No one sits around waiting for some guy to clean up all the .22 on a rifle range, no reason they need to wait for some idiot to pick all the scrap up out of a bay.

ETA: It's really sad that the board needs to be convinced of this.
    Last edited by Peally; 04-14-2017 at 10:54 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Shooting and shooters take precedence, unless there is a report of one or more .38 Super Comp cases being missing, at which point we call a general cease fire on all bays, and form up side by side until we find them all.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Back when I used to shoot 1911s I gave an old man a 5 gallon bucket full of once fired, large primer, 45 brass in exchange for him promising to quit pecking around while we were there shooting. It was mostly annoying but also painful to see the old fart trying to do all that bending over and standing up.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Shooting and shooters take precedence, unless there is a report of one or more .38 Super Comp cases being missing, at which point we call a general cease fire on all bays, and form up side by side until we find them all.
    Ok now that's funny!

Cluster, I don't have anything policy-wise to help as the small range I help run has never had that be a problem but if it were the brass whore would be told to stand down. NFW does a guy just randomly gathering up brass (not his) get preference over the folks who want to shoot. If he just wants to vacuum up brass he can do it at 0700.

Site Supporter
    At least one of my local ranges has a policy stating you can pick up your own brass but if you start picking up other peoples' brass you will be fined $25. The policy is posted on their website. Not sure if/how they enforce it.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    At my range, brass is collected and sold as scrap. The only person who is allowed to collect their brass is the actual shooter, otherwise the brass it the property of the range - thus anyone out collecting brass is violating a range rule.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    At my range, brass is collected and sold as scrap. The only person who is allowed to collect their brass is the actual shooter, otherwise the brass it the property of the range - thus anyone out collecting brass is violating a range rule.
    Same here. Picking up brass other than your own in my "home" range will get you asked to leave and never allowed back.

I wish I could be of help, but I don't have any info to offer beyond quoting the same type of rules that others have mentioned, relative to my own home ranges.

Really, I'm only posting to say: "your brass rat guy is a douche."

Not very helpful, I know, but them's the facts.

User Tag List