Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Thought Experiment: ~$60k "performance" Small-ish SUVs

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I’ll admit buying Michelin’s is almost reflexive after so many years and so many miles over a whole buncha cars. Not a track guy for sure, so overall it’s like hitting the Easy Button for me.
    I understand. I do pretty much the same thing.

I went and looked at this year's Top 10 of One Lap of America and noticed that the 8 of the top 10 finishers overall were running Michelin Pilot 4S - the other two were running BFGoodrich Continental ExtremeSport Contacts.

I just wish Michelin would make a summer tire for 15 and 16" diameter wheels.

For performance work it's all Yokohamas around my house, since I sold my last car with 18" wheels 5+ years ago. For all seasons though, the Michelin Defender reigns supreme.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 08-20-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Hammertime
    I can’t begin to describe how transformative the 4S tires I put on the Z3 were. I have never been so impressed with a tire.

Now I worry about breaking something in the suspension...they grip so hard. And are so comfortable too. Just tried them in wet and they were really unbelievable.

The Car & Driver that just hit my mailbox has a Explorer ST road test

I read enough to have the opinion they like it but did the normal nit picking. 0-60 in 5.2. The one they tested was all pimped out and over $60k, but the base is probably a solid value (without stuff like bigger brakes and summer tires that were expensive options) at $55k.

I am not quite done reading the article but my summary would be they would think it was phenomenal, if it wasn't an SUV that is badged ST.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I read enough to have the opinion they like it but did the normal nit picking. 0-60 in 5.2. The one they tested was all pimped out and over $60k, but the base is probably a solid value (without stuff like bigger brakes and summer tires that were expensive options) at $55k.

I am not quite done reading the article but my summary would be they would think it was phenomenal, if it wasn't an SUV that is badged ST.
    I assume this is in reference to the Explorer ST? maybe you meant to include a link?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I assume this is in reference to the Explorer ST? maybe you meant to include a link?
    Yeah, if you are looking at Taptalk you do not see the message header:

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Yeah, if you are looking at Taptalk you do not see the message header:
    oh, wow, nope can't stand tapatalk, I just never read the headers when they change like that!

Sounds like Audi is about to drop a number of RS models, including for the Q3.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Sounds like Audi is about to drop a number of RS models, including for the Q3.
    yeah I just saw a press release or two on the RS6 Avant, but that'll probably top out over $100k. Using fake math, if we look at this progression of pricing:

2019 A3 Sedan
    Starting at $33,300

2019 S3 Sedan
    Starting at $44,500

2019 RS 3
    Starting at $56,200

and then this starting point

2019 Q3
    Starting at $34,700

then it's even possible than an RS Q3 might land in the stated price range. Presumably an RS Q5, however, would not.

I drove a RS 5 sport back last month, and it was an amazing performer. I assume that performance would carry over to the RS SUV models.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Audis are fun to drive until they start to fall apart. I’ll never own another VW product. I have so many examples from mine, and friends’ vehicles. I agree with @JAD, BMW is the way to go. Or get a Tesla Model X.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List