Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Thought Experiment: ~$60k "performance" Small-ish SUVs

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

While the Tahoe is a good SUV in its own respect, the stability is nothing like the Explorer. You might think that handling qualities are only important for people actually doing track days, but I'd say the opposite. Handling is super important even for the standard American driver, where you WILL, at some point in your life, perform a swerve-to-avoid at high speeds.

There's very few cars that I felt handle as well at 100mph as the newer generations of the Ford Explorer. Remember, it's still the only pursuit rated SUV in production.

Can't hurt to test drive it.
    Have you driven the newest generation?

I haven't had a chance yet, hence my asking. The now "previous" generation is, in my opinion an exceptionally good vehicle. People dog it a bit, because it's now a 8-9 year old platform, but they have been handling high miles and drive great in AWD form.

As a "field work vehicle" for doing herpetological collections, which is code for - driving down relatively dark roads at night, spotlighting, and pulling over to catch snakes and frogs - I actually have been looking hard at a LE Surplus Police Interceptor. The power of 3.5 Ecoboost gives me plenty of oomph, built in spotlights, a vinyl covered interior, and crash rated for a rear end collision to 70-mph all appeal.

Think about it like I'd be conducting traffic stops to catch herps not perps. - I feel like there is a good pun in here I haven't chiseled out yet. @blues - help on this one?
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 08-19-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Go with the X3 M40. It drives extremely well. Great handling, great power. Wonderful interior. I prefer the 3.0 turbo 6 for both performance and mechanical reliability.

I like the Toyota 4Runner as well, but as a true 4-wheel drive off road vehicle. Performance-wise, it is a slug compared to the SAVs on your list.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

We currently have a 2018 GLC. Do not recommend, unless you want to buy mine. Such a deal I can make you...

I don’t trust Volvo farther than I can spit, except for the 90 which is still built in Sweden. I’ve had four of them. All done with that now.

I haven’t owned an Audi but I’ve rented several, the most recent an A5 in Venice. I was underwhelmed by all of them.

I have owned an X5, 528, and Z4. I have loved all my BMWs. If I was going to get a small SUV again (I currently drive an outback because I was trying to be humble), the X3 would be it in a landslide. I couldn’t talk my wife into one last time which is why we have the GLC.

Of course, if I bought an X3, I would spend the rest of its life wishing it was an M3. So good luck with that.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    We currently have a 2018 GLC. Do not recommend, unless you want to buy mine. Such a deal I can make you...
    What problems have you had with your GLC? Ours is a 16 and has been great other than the garbage Pirelli run flats and an intake hose that was replaced under warranty.

We're in downsize everything mode ourselves. We have a medium size house on acreage 14 miles out of town, and it's a pretty damn small town. So we'll be moving in a year or two. Just started watching the real estate market this spring and thinking we need to rid ourselves of lots of stuff. We're selling the RV (travel trailer) and my land yacht 3/4 ton pickup. That thing is damn near impossible to park in a normal parking space. I've had people leave me nasty notes on my windshield telling me what a jerk I am for taking up so much space. Oh well. Hard to tow 7000 lbs up a 6% grade with a Subaru.

So what do I replace a full size diesel pickup with? That's a tough one. SUV or midsize pickup like a Tacoma? I've had 5 or 6 Toyotas (Tacoma and 4Runner) so I looked at those. Nothing appealed to me. Tacoma is just plain outdated. Cramped cab, no power seats and the engines are almost a generation behind everybody now. Where's the turbo? Why are they all crew cabs with TRD packages. Everyone must be going off road when they take their kids to soccer practice.

Stopped by and looked at a Honda Ridgeline. Not really a pickup but Car & Driver liked them enough to rate them #1 midsize pickup the last two years. I drove one and was impressed. Might just buy one when I get some of this RV stuff out of my driveway.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-19-2019 at 10:38 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    In regards to your point B: my parents bought a Lexus car, and paid less than what several people we know spent on loaded Big 3 SUV's. And they still got the "someone's making money" comments. Not that my parents give a shit, nor should you. But if that effects your social life, might be something to consider. 70k Tahoe doesn't raise an eyebrow, but a 50-60k Euro SUV has you rolling in dough.
    It’s pretty amazing. Like you mention, Tahoes and Expeditions get right nutty right quick in terms of price, but rock up in a BMW 1-Series and suddenly you’re being flashy. I’m less concerned about my personal social circles and more so want to stay relatively low key in my work circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    My first thought about a performance SUV would be to not buy an Uber expensive new SUV. If I wanted a new off road SUV ? I would start and stop with a Toyota 4Runner. If I wanted something fast for the street? I would look for a used Chevy Tahoe. I just googled them found a 2011 Tahoe special service with 59k mikes for 15G. A plain white police Tahoe. Bigger brakes and a super charger- I would be laughing from gas station to gas station. Comfortable, fast, stealthy. What’s not to like?
    Mostly that it’s used, and that adding the blower, while an entertaining concept, would require some amount of fiddle-fuck (even if paying someone else to install) and undoubtedly would lead to reliability problems.

Cant say I don’t like the idea of a police model Tahoe doing 0-60 in 5 seconds. I’m just not willing to go through the hoops to get there. My life these days needs to be mostly plug-n-play. I’ve learned that you always pay, either in time or money, and these days I can’t spare the former.

I have owned an X5, 528, and Z4. I have loved all my BMWs. If I was going to get a small SUV again (I currently drive an outback because I was trying to be humble), the X3 would be it in a landslide. I couldn’t talk my wife into one last time which is why we have the GLC.

Of course, if I bought an X3, I would spend the rest of its life wishing it was an M3. So good luck with that.
    That’s a distinct possibility, but in my case I doubt it’d really be an issue. I’ve only owned one car since moving to S Florida (the rest have all been trucks or SUVs) and I’m not a fan of the low seat height nor the low ground clearance on our roads. I had a coworker once get water in the intake of his 3-series (not an M3, but still) and ruin the engine in a flooded parking lot that I just drove right through in the Tacoma I owned at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    What problems have you had with your GLC? Ours is a 16 and has been great other than the garbage Pirelli run flats and an intake hose that was replaced under warranty.
    Tires are ass, and I am furious that I have to blow $$$ on tires on a new car to find out if the handling in the rain will no longer be life threatening. Sunroof selector button cracked randomly. Key detection often does not work and if you try to get service to address it they just replace the battery. “It ain’t the battery,” I said. “I just replaced it a month ago. By the way, why did the battery only last 9 months?” “Oh, they’re supposed to be changed every three months. And you’re supposed to wear gloves when you change it.” Yes, service tech, do tell me about these batteries you speak of.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Tires are ass, and I am furious that I have to blow $$$ on tires on a new car to find out if the handling in the rain will no longer be life threatening. Sunroof selector button cracked randomly. Key detection often does not work and if you try to get service to address it they just replace the battery. “It ain’t the battery,” I said. “I just replaced it a month ago. By the way, why did the battery only last 9 months?” “Oh, they’re supposed to be changed every three months. And you’re supposed to wear gloves when you change it.” Yes, service tech, do tell me about these batteries you speak of.
    Tires on new cars seem more and more to be like factory sights on a Glock.

Do you have the AMG or the 300? It appears that the AMG tires are “225/45R20 front and 285/40R20 rear, all-season Extended Mobility” while the 300 are “235/60R18 front and rear, all-season Extended Mobility”.

I hadn’t notice until now that the front/rear were different sizes on the AMG. That seems annoying from a tire rotation standpoint.

I’d suspect that your other issues would carry over to the AMG, however.

User Tag List