Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Thought Experiment: ~$60k "performance" Small-ish SUVs

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    It’s just a number and a relatively consistent way to compare across models. I’m not really concerned with how it relates to “real world” just how they relate to each other.
    Not really. Take the Stelvio vs the CX5 turbo. Stelvio will do 0-60 in 5.4 if you brake boost it. Cx5 turbo isnt set up for that and does 6.1. However, floor both cars off idle, and you end up with a hair under 7 seconds 0-60 out of them both. So you might be thinking you're getting a significantly faster car with the Stelvio, and then get next to a CX5, and if you don't launch it, it may eat your lunch, and at least will keep up with you. Had you compared 5-60's, youd get the fact that the vehicles accelerate remarkably similarly in nonabusive, typical use. Also compare 30-50 and 50-70 times. All that 0-60 tells you is a very narrow set of circumstances, and a faster 0-60 car may actually be slower in every other way (extreme example is the Evo 8) vs another.

*also imagine how annoyed I was that my cx5 did 0-60 in 7 seconds instead of 6 when I drove it...my rav4 prime does an honest 5.7 for me, though. Hugely faster in the real world, and it feels it, too!
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 10-24-2021 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Not really. Take the Stelvio vs the CX5 turbo. Stelvio will do 0-60 in 5.4 if you brake boost it. Cx5 turbo isnt set up for that and does 6.1. However, floor both cars off idle, and you end up with a hair under 7 seconds 0-60 out of them both. So you might be thinking you're getting a significantly faster car with the Stelvio, and then get next to a CX5, and if you don't launch it, it may eat your lunch, and at least will keep up with you. Had you compared 5-60's, youd get the fact that the vehicles accelerate remarkably similarly in nonabusive, typical use. Also compare 30-50 and 50-70 times. All that 0-60 tells you is a very narrow set of circumstances, and a faster 0-60 car may actually be slower in every other way (extreme example is the Evo 8) vs another.

*also imagine how annoyed I was that my cx5 did 0-60 in 7 seconds instead of 6 when I drove it...my rav4 prime does an honest 5.7 for me, though. Hugely faster in the real world, and it feels it, too!
    Oh for fucks sake.

You win. You are more internet car knowledgeable than me.

Congratulations.

Can we get off this one stupid bit of minutiae now?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Oh for fucks sake.

You win. You are more internet car knowledgeable than me.

Congratulations.

Can we get off this one stupid bit of minutiae now?
    Sure. I was under the impression that a 1 second disparity in 0-60 was of import. I simply mistook your OP.

Sure. I was under the impression that a 1 second disparity in 0-60 was of import. I simply mistook your OP.
    Welcome to the vagaries of Rob S's "thought experiment" threads, where he asks one thing and means what he says, but doesn't...nor actually want a complete answer to his question.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Welcome to the vagaries of Rob S's "thought experiment" threads, where he asks one thing and means what he says, but doesn't...nor actually want a complete answer to his question.
    Im just saying I grew up streetracing, btdt both on the 1320 and streets, and buddy...lol! DCT 5.5 to 60 and Non DCT 5.5 to 60 are literally a different power class, but what do I know, and when Rob isnt even buying a new vehicle, what does it really matter?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    The OP is over 2 years old at this point. This is just mental masturbation about diving into minutiae then bitching about minutiae, which is the arc of "thought experiment" threads.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The OP is over 2 years old at this point. This is just mental masturbation about diving into minutiae then bitching about minutiae, which is the arc of "thought experiment" threads.
    C'mon, man, give them a break. P-F is where people talk about the best tactical pants through three presidencies. Don't let the fact that Rob needed a shitter in the vehicle more than he needed more horsepower stop the fun.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Did OP even buy a vehicle? If so, I couldn't find the post, but may have skimmed over it. The whole thing was mental masturbation all along.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Did OP even buy a vehicle? If so, I couldn't find the post, but may have skimmed over it. The whole thing was mental masturbation all along.
    No, but the thread title pretty much indicated that. I'm just reminding folks what this thread actually is. There's nothing wrong with it, just treat it like a game of "would you rather" instead of a genuine RFI and enjoy it for what it is.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Mostly as a thought experiment (more so than a "tell me how to spend my money" or "tell me what to do") but I thought it'd be interesting to have a discussion surrounding this segment as I know there's a fair number of car guys here.
    No, but the thread title pretty much indicated that. I'm just reminding folks what this thread actually is. There's nothing wrong with it, just treat it like a game of "would you rather" instead of a genuine RFI and enjoy it for what it is.
    No vitriol directed at you with the below BBI, just quoting to reinforce the point.

It’s not like I said right off the top that this wasn’t about telling me what to buy or what to do.

Some peoples children are just so excited to give advice I guess….

WTF happened to the ability to just have a goddamn discussion?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List