Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Thought Experiment: ~$60k "performance" Small-ish SUVs

Quote Originally Posted by Tod-13 View Post
    I know the question is totally different from the OP's, but how is the interior space? We went with a JLU (four door) Jeep Wrangler, since it gave us enough room for our Newfoundland Dog and his water rescue training equipment. (Think 140 lb giant dog and a two foot by three foot by three foot bag of gear and his folded up crate -- Jeep is big enough to unfold the crate and put him in it if desired.)
    The Jeep is going to win in space because it is like a big, tall square.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I guess I could update this thread: in April we traded our base ‘19 Cayenne for a ‘20 Lexus RX 350 for a number of what I’ll categorize as daily usability issues. It’s a great handling car, fun to drive, and one of Porsche’s best sellers, but the 9Y0 did not work out for us.
    As someone who would be daily driving the thing and wouldn’t ever really get to take advantage of any handling characteristics, that’s my concern.

Straight-line acceleration on on-ramps and passing at highway speeds as well as traction in the rain are my primary wants/needs.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    it's something to consider for sure. There's a variety of reasons I prefer the Durango, and if I get one I'd love to get the updated "tech" and I think as I enter old age I'd rather have a fancy head unit than a faster car.
    FWIW, the sound system in the SRT is the best stock system I've ever had (not an incredibly high bar, granted, but still). It's whatever the JL Audio 12 speaker, subwoofer, whatever else option was. I don't know what the equivalent is in the Durango. I wouldn't have paid $80k for the vehicle new, but in the used market, it was a relative bargain. I suspect if you did go with a Durango SRT, you'd be pleased.

Here you go Rob. $65k. Even says free shipping. Lol!

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Street...ee-p/m1123.htm

Straight-line acceleration on on-ramps and passing at highway speeds as well as traction in the rain are my primary wants/needs.
    I can give you a laundry list comparison of the Lexus vs. the Cayenne, as an owner, explaining why we traded, but if those are the primary concerns, I’d get a Porsche, but put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (if they came in Cayenne size, ours were 275/45R20 305/40R20). The handling is not unlike a large heavy 4 door AWD 911.

As someone who would be daily driving the thing and wouldn’t ever really get to take advantage of any handling characteristics, that’s my concern.

I don't remember whether you mentioned it at any point within the thread, but when it comes to the concerns/wants/needs you put forward, my Audi Q5 2.0T does all those very well, and it's quite nimble too.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

As we shop for a new SUV currently the #1 must have is enough dog comfort travel space, not sure the Sequoia falls into the "performance or even small-ish category", but it seems to keep rising to the top of our list as we shop and test drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tod-13 View Post
    I know the question is totally different from the OP's, but how is the interior space? We went with a JLU (four door) Jeep Wrangler, since it gave us enough room for our Newfoundland Dog and his water rescue training equipment. (Think 140 lb giant dog and a two foot by three foot by three foot bag of gear and his folded up crate -- Jeep is big enough to unfold the crate and put him in it if desired.)

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I don't remember whether you mentioned it at any point within the thread, but when it comes to the concerns/wants/needs you put forward, my Audi Q5 2.0T does all those very well, and it's quite nimble too.
    I have the Q3 on my chart but not the Q5. The original concept was more compact, sporty, AWD for s Florida wet roads, and hybrid to (legally) get into the HOV lane as a side bonus. Basically a s Florida dad commuter while living on the zero lot line HOA world.

Now that we are staying in our sub-rural environment, most of that remains but with the added requirement to tow a trailer as well as a bit more cargo room for Home Depot trips.

I suppose that could make the Q5 a contender. Main complaint there is that they seems be doing what a lot of other makers are doing with their touchscreens and making them look like an afterthought. Looks like someone stuck a ac vent clip in the dash of their ‘97 Buick and mounted a Garmin...
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I have the Q3 on my chart but not the Q5. The original concept was more compact, sporty, AWD for s Florida wet roads, and hybrid to (legally) get into the HOV lane as a side bonus. Basically a s Florida dad commuter while living on the zero lot line HOA world.

Now that we are staying in our sub-rural environment, most of that remains but with the added requirement to tow a trailer as well as a bit more cargo room for Home Depot trips.

I suppose that could make the Q5 a contender. Main complaint there is that they seems be doing what a lot of other makers are doing with their touchscreens and making them look like an afterthought. Looks like someone stuck a ac vent clip in the dash of their ‘97 Buick and mounted a Garmin...
    Yeah, it's not pretty (though you can get most of that same info put on your dash, if you prefer that. I don't) and frankly, being a boomer, most of that electronic stuff confuses me anyway.

The cargo room is good enough, I imagine, for those Home Depot trips but I don't know what your Home Depot trip looks like so ymmv. I've never tried to tow a trailer, so I have no idea here.

What I can tell you is that, even at the "comfort" setting for driving (the 'dynamic' setting is pretty sporty), maneuverability is very nice. Its nimble, accelerates well, turns well, brakes well. I feel like I'm in a souped up compact sedan yet, it's quiet and very comfortable, and being higher, you can see a lot more and is easier for tall guys to get in and out.

Now, I'm no car geek and I don't have much experience with other cars to make good comparisons. I'm just a suburban guy who occasionally makes long trips, but deals with lots of highways just to get around (Northern Virginia is like that) and, for me, the Q5 works perfectly.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

It looks like the Q7 and Q3 have fixed the dash issues, and the Q7 appears to have a tow package available. Maybe the Q5 is due for a modern dash as well. The SQ5 with a refresh might be interesting...

User Tag List