Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Car gun

I have that exact same lock box and like it a lot. I’ve never kept a gun in it long term yet. I’m still iffy on the idea. I noticed in your photo that you brought both loops though the slot on the side and into the box instead of passing the large loop through the small loop and only having the large loop in the box. Is that because you’re worried about someone being able to pry the metal cylinder off the cable if it’s exposed, because it shortens the amount of cable coming out of the box, or something else?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Banned
    My lock box stays in my car and we keep I think $100 in emergency cash in it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I have that exact same lock box and like it a lot. I’ve never kept a gun in it long term yet. I’m still iffy on the idea. I noticed in your photo that you brought both loops though the slot on the side and into the box instead of passing the large loop through the small loop and only having the large loop in the box. Is that because you’re worried about someone being able to pry the metal cylinder off the cable if it’s exposed, because it shortens the amount of cable coming out of the box, or something else?
    Keeps it really short to keep it from being moved far from the anchor spot.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Normally, I am actually more against this than Chuck. I recently got the safe specifically for a means to leave the third gun when away from the truck. There is a big difference between using the car as a holster with unsecured firearms in unsecured vehicles and a safe inside a locked and secured vehicle. I am still on the fence about leaving it all the time, but I am happy with the safe being in it.
    I've got a similar lock box in my truck and I use it for temp storage when I'm going into a place where I absolutely can't take a gun.

The majority of thefts from cars here are from unlocked cars. It's easier, faster, and has less risk of detection.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I also have one of those lock boxes in my truck. I keep it behind the rear seat above the jack. I currently have a Glock 43 in it and am able to fit my Wilson ULCC if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I work on a military installation that allows CHL holders to have a pistol in their vehicle. Can't have it on you, can't take it out on base, can't etc, etc, etc.
    So, I keep either a Kahr CM9 or an LCR in a similar box in my truck. That way, if I leave base and stop at the grocery store I can drop it in my pocket and at least have something with me.

Site Supporter
    I use the same setup when I can't carry somewhere, but I don't keep a gun in all the time.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Does anyone have a link or information on this particular lock box? I currently have a crappy box that my agency issues that I occasionally use. Last week on TDY I dropped it while closed and locked on a carpeted floor, and it popped open. It was only holding a spare mag & cuffs, so no big deal, but I don't think I'll trust it to secure a pistol anymore. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    The idea is I can. It is a small box and secured to the vehicle. It would be both tough to locate and to get out in a typical smash and grab.

My normal driving around with a gun under my leg gun is a 686 plus PC snub. This set up gives me the option of having something for that role if I am not specifically brining one for that purpose.

I often have one under my leg.....and I simply won’t use anything but a revolver for that.
    If you're driving around with a gun under your thigh, you're in the wrong neighborhood. BTDT, many, many moons ago, when my wife was in college doing her clinical rotation at an SF City Health Center in the Fillmore District, I used to drop her off and pick her up with my G19 under my thigh. Wouldn't do it now, now that I know better, but at that time, the Fillmore gangsters had threatened me, to the point that one took a 69 PC conviction for his threats to kill me if he ever saw me on the streets. Ahh, to be 23 and bulletproof once again! Now, I smile and wave, count the days till retirement and don't drive in shitty neighborhoods, if I can avoid it.

Come to think about it, my Department issued a bolted in safe to every officer who wanted it and I've taken the Hornady safe out of my truck. I use it, mainly, for ditching the pistola if I'm going to a ballgame, etc. where I can't carry. I only put the G22 in if I think I'll need an extra gun, traveling, etc. I have a G43 that I always carry when I'm not carrying a gun. G19 when I think I might need a gun.

Damn, it, now you've made me re-think why I have the lock box. I might throw my MR-88 in there with a couple of speedloaders.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My understanding is that these boxes usually come with really cheap locks. Possibly even zinc-bodied. But they can be easily replaced with quality ones.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List