Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car gun

Car gun

Well, the Raptor got a dedicated car system. I bought a safe that actually fits and then grabbed this for a song at my favorite shop. Old Model 12-3. Someone Cerakoted it silver. The big thing was to steal the grips off it for my pristine square butt Model 12 that needed factory PC Model 12 Magnas. The modified grips that were on my pristine on went on this and a silver Tyler T grip that I think is actually for a Colt D frame. The thin frame of the Model 12 is tough to fit things to. A little nail polish on the front sight and Sharpie on the rear and a load of Federal Match wadcutters and it’s perfect for its role.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Well, the Raptor got a dedicated car system. I bought a safe that actually fits and then grabbed this for a song at my favorite shop. Old Model 12-3. Someone Cerakoted it silver. The big thing was to steal the grips off it for my pristine square butt Model 12 that needed factory PC Model 12 Magnas. The modified grips that were on my pristine on went on this and a silver Tyler T grip that I think is actually for a Colt D frame. The thin frame of the Model 12 is tough to fit things to. A little nail polish on the front sight and Sharpie on the rear and a load of Federal Match wadcutters and it’s perfect for its role.
    Do you keep it in the car?

That is sweet, but I thought you wanted more blast than a .38 provides in your car guns.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Yeah, I'm thinking more like a Gen 3 G22 LE trade in with a couple of extra mags would be a better car gun. I use one with a KKM 9mm conversion barrel in a Hornady Triple-lock safe cabled to the driver's side seat and tucked in through the back seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Do you keep it in the car?
    The idea is I can. It is a small box and secured to the vehicle. It would be both tough to locate and to get out in a typical smash and grab.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    That is sweet, but I thought you wanted more blast than a .38 provides in your car guns.
    My normal driving around with a gun under my leg gun is a 686 plus PC snub. This set up gives me the option of having something for that role if I am not specifically brining one for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking more like a Gen 3 G22 LE trade in with a couple of extra mags would be a better car gun. I use one with a KKM 9mm conversion barrel in a Hornady Triple-lock safe cabled to the driver's side seat and tucked in through the back seat.
    I often have one under my leg.....and I simply won’t use anything but a revolver for that.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Banned
    . The idea is I can. It is a small box and secured to the vehicle. It would be both tough to locate and to get out in a typical smash and grab.
    The reason I asked is I have a lockbox similar to that my car and I'm considering putting my Ruger LC9 in it.

I was at work last night and I was thinking to myself what would happen if I got in a rush one night and ran out of the house without my gun?

And I'm thinking since I can't remember that I asked the last time I actually carried that LC9 it wouldn't be a horrible idea because it would be locked in the lock box to leave it in my car in case that ever happens.

My concern is that a bunch of people that know more about this and I do take a very dim view of leaving a gun in your car for any length of time. And as long as I've been carrying the gun it's only ever happened once that I left the house and realized I didn't have it with me. So I'm questioning if the risk is worth the reward
    Last edited by Cypher; 08-19-2019 at 10:03 PM.

That is always my worry. Every so often I ll leave in a hurry and forget a real gun (I usually have a snub in my pocket.). Even if I decide to take the 12 out, I think the safe is good.

FWIW, I found J-frame Tylers to work well on the thinner model 12s. Cool gat.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    E Tu Brute ?

Neat gun but I come down on the Chuck Haggard side of the car gun thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    FWIW, I found J-frame Tylers to work well on the thinner model 12s. Cool gat.
    Good to know. I heard this and was looking for a j frame one to try.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    E Tu Brute ?

Neat gun but I come down on the Chuck Haggard side of the car gun thing.
    Normally, I am actually more against this than Chuck. I recently got the safe specifically for a means to leave the third gun when away from the truck. There is a big difference between using the car as a holster with unsecured firearms in unsecured vehicles and a safe inside a locked and secured vehicle. I am still on the fence about leaving it all the time, but I am happy with the safe being in it.

User Tag List