Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Car gun

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    I doubt a thief will open one like in this video, but a screwdriver or a pair of dykes is probably faster. Very thin steel and the least expensive lock they can buy is not a recipe for security. I understand the attraction that they are easy to attach to a seat frame and slide under the seat.

https://www.handgunsaferesearch.com/snapsafe-lock-boxes
    Hornady should be doing better than that. As should Ruger.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    A friend who once lived in a bad part of a city and drove an old car simply left his doors unlocked, figuring that replacing the music cassette tapes therein would be far cheaper than broken windows. Thieves still broke his windows to steal the tapes. Adding to the stupidity, auto glass is particularly difficult to break, making this far more difficult and noisy than simply tugging on the door handle. Those stealing from cars are not at the high end of the intelligence bell curve.
    I watch the Tweakers walk up and down the street here every night and try the doors on every car on the street

Attachment 41556 (and these are the ones that have been reported)
    Last edited by SD; 08-22-2019 at 07:21 AM.

I had one of those nano, cable-lock safes for a while. I moved it to my wife's vehicle on her request. It is usually empty, but it gives her the option. I am considering one of these for the center console of my Tundra:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...MPXDR0ZD&psc=1

Name:  41E2UrVMzqL.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  22.0 KB

The lid closes over it, so it is hidden, and the whole thing bolts to the truck through the inside of the console.

I don't plan to leave a gun in it full time, but it would be nice to have a more secure way to leave my pistol in the vehicle when I am going somewhere that I really can't carry. My work takes me into courthouses with magnetometers pretty regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by MattF. View Post
    I had one of those nano, cable-lock safes for a while. I moved it to my wife's vehicle on her request. It is usually empty, but it gives her the option. I am considering one of these for the center console of my Tundra:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...MPXDR0ZD&psc=1

Name:  41E2UrVMzqL.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  22.0 KB

The lid closes over it, so it is hidden, and the whole thing bolts to the truck through the inside of the console.

I don't plan to leave a gun in it full time, but it would be nice to have a more secure way to leave my pistol in the vehicle when I am going somewhere that I really can't carry. My work takes me into courthouses with magnetometers pretty regularly.
    Large consoles are relatively easy to find a better way like the one you posted. Not sure about the lock they use. This is also in a Tundra. It's 7GA steel (3/16")

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Hornady should be doing better than that. As should Ruger.
    The gun safe/lock box market is full of "illusions of security". They want to make a profit and the consumer wants to secure their $500 gun with a $30 box when they need to leave it in their vehicle. On one hand, they are just giving the consumer what they want and are willing to pay for.

I actually made a better version a couple years ago, but took it off the market because not enough people would spend the money on it. It was made of 11GA steel with a mounting bracket or 5/16" diameter cable. The lock was a Camlock T8 high security lock. You can google the lock's specs to see it's not what you normally find on a gun lock box.

Name:  ffa6f428cf3b23dda3c5da7d2d1d5b92.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  48.1 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
    The gun safe/lock box market is full of "illusions of security". They want to make a profit and the consumer wants to secure their $500 gun with a $30 box when they need to leave it in their vehicle. On one hand, they are just giving the consumer what they want and are willing to pay for.

I actually made a better version a couple years ago, but took it off the market because not enough people would spend the money on it. It was made of 11GA steel with a mounting bracket or 5/16" diameter cable. The lock was a Camlock T8 high security lock. You can google the lock's specs to see it's not what you normally find on a gun lock box.

Name:  ffa6f428cf3b23dda3c5da7d2d1d5b92.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  48.1 KB
    How much did you charge for such a thing? Specifically the thin one with the G26 in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    How much did you charge for such a thing? Specifically the thin one with the G26 in it?
    That's the one I'm talking about. The other one is still made. It was $159. Here's just a few key features. It could also be keyed the same as our other safes.

*11GA
    *T8 Lock
    * Two stainless steel locking pins
    * 3/8" solid welded in hinge pin
    * Formed (curved lip) recessed door w/door jambs (anti-pry)

Site Supporter
    I have been wanting a lock box for my F250. I would prefer something hidden but I haven’t seen anything I like. I have the front bench seat so I’m thinking I should find a large metal lock box with a simple clock and bolt it to the floor right in up front. Then cover it to make it look like a console. Anybody done anything similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I have been wanting a lock box for my F250. I would prefer something hidden but I haven’t seen anything I like. I have the front bench seat so I’m thinking I should find a large metal lock box with a simple clock and bolt it to the floor right in up front. Then cover it to make it look like a console. Anybody done anything similar?
    Check Tuffy products they offer multiple under seat options.

User Tag List