Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFI - I have fallen and I cant get up gadgets

Would something like an Apple watch work? "Hey Siri, Call mmc45414..."

I think the newer ones can even work without the phone being in range. On cellular so poor broadband may not impact it.

Or, as much as I hate it, this might be a good candidate for some Amazon Echo dots around the house. "Alexa, call 911". That might only be viable for the one with good internet.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

For my 96 yo Motherinlaw we got the ADT equivalent of life alert (I think this is Mobilehelp equipment) since she never leaves home without one of us. It has worked fine for 3 years, we test monthly, we had one real usage when she took a fall during the day while we were at work and they did their job well. It is just a pendant and a wrist band however, not the fall detection type units.

I am starting to explore devices for my recently widowed Mother, who is quite active and away from home a lot in addition to being alone at home, so I am interested to see what others have found for that scenario.

Found an interesting article

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post

I think the newer ones can even work without the phone being in range. On cellular so poor broadband may not impact it.

Or, as much as I hate it, this might be a good candidate for some Amazon Echo dots around the house. "Alexa, call 911". That might only be viable for the one with good internet.
    It would work if the person is lucid, and the watch is on. An issue is a fall during the night when the watch is being charged.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    The Apple Watch Series 4 has fall detection built into it. Haven't read anything about it other than that it exists, however.

From Apple documentation:

If Apple Watch Series 4 detects a hard fall while you're wearing your watch, it taps you on the wrist, sounds an alarm, and displays an alert. You can choose to contact emergency services or dismiss the alert by pressing the Digital Crown, tapping Close in the upper-left corner, or tapping "I'm OK."

If your Apple Watch detects that you're moving, it waits for you to respond to the alert and won't automatically call emergency services. If your watch detects that you have been immobile for about a minute, it will make the call automatically. After the call ends, your watch sends a message to your emergency contacts with your location letting them know that your watch detected a hard fall and dialed emergency services. Your watch gets your emergency contacts from your Medical ID.
    Last edited by Chance; 08-19-2019 at 07:38 AM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post

IMO, and based on my own usage of such devices, none of these type tech gadgets are ready for primetime, particularly with the older set. Fall detection or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    The Apple Watch Series 4 has fall detection built into it. Haven't read anything about it other than that it exists, however.

From Apple documentation:
    Interesting... I wonder though how it would handle something like the seizures my wife used to have pre-surgery. And I wonder if she would have cleared the notification while in that weird post-ictal state where she seemed responsive but wasn't really all there.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    1) There is a difference between "Assisted Living" and "Nursing Homes" - difference around Atlanta is $6000+ per month vs $12000 per month
    2) I do not think MEDICARE pays for either long term - only short term
    3) MEDICAID may pay once your funds are down to nothing
    4) The VA offers Aid and Assistance (about $18k per year?) but there is now a means test - if you are a wartime vet you may be eligible for Aid and Assistance
    I used the term Medicare when I should have said Medicaid. When families take appropriate steps, the person in question becomes a Medicaid recipient and from that point on Medicaid pays the bill. That was my mother's case and also the cases of many elderly friends and relatives. A vast amount of Social Security money pays the expenses. State governments pay a significant amount. I lost respect for the nursing home industry when my mother became a patient. Later I performed security for a giant facility, and after that I inspected them. Fraud abounds.

To clarify, let me add this. Those not seeking attorney assistance to meet relevant guidelines must pay down to nothing. In my family's instance, the Willie estate was surrendered. Same thing as paying down to nothing.
    Last edited by willie; 08-19-2019 at 09:13 PM.

User Tag List