Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Went to the USP 45 for CCW carry (after seriously considering the 1911). Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    That's cool, I didn't realize the expert came with all that extra stuff. Currently on Budsgunshop is an expert 45 for only $851 vs $830 for a standard on Grabagun. Seems like a damn nice piece for $21 extra
    Yep, you get a LOT in the Expert for not much additional cost. I'm actually thinking of picking up a second Expert 45 just because they are so cheap right now.

I am curious to see how the reliability of the Expert comes out as it wears in. The barrel is definitely fitted a LOT tighter than a standard USP. When I first got it and was clearing the gun to ensure it was empty, I rode the slide forward somewhat and it hung up, not going fully into battery. It's worked fine while shooting when chambering a round using the slide stop, which is how I do it. If I was someone who used the slingshot method, I would be hesitant for fear of riding the slide slightly and causing a misfeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Any thoughts on if the USP any more durable than the P30 or HK45? I would think it is about the same.

I have both the P30L and HK45 and prefer them to the USP40 that I have in terms of grip and shooting. I did send them to Gray Guns and then Lazy Wolf guns to have the groove in the inside bottom of the trigger guard removed. I found that during recoil it sometimes stung my trigger finger. I also had the Lazy Wolf reduced reset package done on them.

My USP-40 is mentioned in this thread on the 40 S&W :https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post920267.
    I don't have personal experience with the P30 or HK45... they're both off roster in California, and I'm not willing to pay the 50% premium they bring on the used market here just for the fancy grip. However I've yet to break an HK, including a USP, USPc, several P2000s in 9mm, 357 Sig, and 40; and a P2000sk, plus limited experience with the older P9s. I'm sure it's possible, but any of them are robust.

It's worth noting that I carry in some fairly challenging conditions including days at a time in the backcountry. My HKs have remained reliable through blowing sand in coastal dunes, salt spray, rain... including one too-long day on a mountain ridgetop when it was literally raining sideways in high winds... occasional snow at higher elevations, and of course mud all rainy season long. I've worn them while using a chainsaw on trees fallen across the road, and under waders in major rivers. Never a problem.

While other HKs have more ergonomic grips, I find that I shoot the slab-sided USP more accurately. Of all my current HKs (five or six, I think) the two most accurate for basic target shooting are my USP 45 Elite and my USPc 45, in that order. The former is the factory stock match trigger, the latter has a couple of match parts added. The USPc was set up LEM for a long time and the reset is shorter than other HK LEMs, although I've converted it back to V1 DA/SA for now. The USP grip texture cuts both ways, I find the aggressive texture to be an advantage in warm seasons with wet or muddy hands or when shooting quickly, below about 40 degrees it can get a bit abrasive although that's a minor annoyance and doesn't affect shooting.

Unrelated: While browsing online a few weeks ago I stumbled on a marked down Simply Rugged holster for the USP, one that had been made and then never accepted by the person who had placed the original order. At that bargain price I took a chance on it and am happy. Looks like it was built for a USP 45 FS, and I have a lead on one of those and should have it in a few weeks; the Elite fits with an inch of barrel and slide sticking out the bottom, which is acceptable for the range use I limit that pistol too; and even though the USPc has a different trigger guard shape, it fits reasonably well. So a three-for-one although I'll still want to get some kydex for the USP FS.

One consideration: While it's possible to conceal a USP FS at least for many people, it's a whole lot easier to conceal a P2000. My rotation going forward will continue to be the P2000 in town (or a J-frame in NPE settings), and once the new USP FS is in hand either it or the USPc will likely have the woods gun role.
    Last edited by Salamander; 08-25-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    One consideration: While it's possible to conceal a USP FS at least for many people, it's a whole lot easier to conceal a P2000. My rotation going forward will continue to be the P2000 in town (or a J-frame in NPE settings), and once the new USP FS is in hand either it or the USPc will likely have the woods gun role.
    Smaller guns are definitely easier to conceal. With my renewed interest in the USP 45, I just picked up a USP 45 Compact and am looking for a USP Compact 9mm.

The idea would be to use the USP 45 for most carry, but also have a compact available when a little more concealment is needed. I've owned all these pistols before, and the USP 9mm Compact hides extremely well. Reflecting on how I carry, these sized guns would work 99% of the time. Maybe add a J-frame again or keep my P30SKS for when a USP Compact is too big.

I need to sell some stuff to fund building my retirement home, so seriously thinking of getting the above and then selling all my other pistols, to include my 1911s. I've been wanting to step off the pistol hamster wheel for awhile now.
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 08-25-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    I'd think the USP 45 would be slightly more durable than the HK45 due to the recoil reduction system on it.
    How is the USP45's recoil reduction system different or better than from that of the HK45?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    How is the USP45's recoil reduction system different or better than from that of the HK45?
    HK45's is a more standard recoil system with a delrin buffer (same as the USP 45 Compacts, just upscaled). The USP 45's recoil reduction system is a dual spring setup specifically designed to reduce recoil forces imparted on the pistol and increase longevity. The Mark 23 with this system was tested with 30K +P rounds plus 6K higher pressure proof rounds. Nothing broke. You've also got the Federal Cartridge USP 45 used for testing that went 297K+ rounds. Also, an LEO on HK-Pro had a duty gun with more than 100K rds documented on it. Additionally, HK rates the USP 45 for 45 Super in stock form, not so for the HK45.

The durability difference is really just academic when Todd's HK45 went 50K rds without issue, and there may not be a difference at all. However, the USP 45's system works, and if you tested 10 examples of each to destruction, I'd put my money on the USP 45 being the last pistol standing.
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 08-25-2019 at 11:02 PM.

HK45's is a more standard recoil system with a delrin buffer (same as the USP 45 Compacts, just upscaled). The USP 45's recoil reduction system is a dual spring setup specifically designed to reduce recoil forces imparted on the pistol and increase longevity. The Mark 23 with this system was tested with 30K +P rounds plus 6K higher pressure proof rounds. Nothing broke. You've also got the Federal Cartridge USP 45 used for testing that went 297K+ rounds. Also, an LEO on HK-Pro had a duty gun with more than 100K rds documented on it. Additionally, HK rates the USP 45 for 45 Super in stock form, not so for the HK45.

The durability difference is really just academic when Todd's HK45 went 50K rds without issue, and there may not be a difference at all. However, the USP 45's system works, and if you tested 10 examples of each to destruction, I'd put my money on the USP 45 being the last pistol standing.
    That's impressive and all, but how does it translate to the "feel" of both when shooting?

Having had both, I find the USP to be a bit softer shooting than the HK45. Neither is particularly hard recoiling.

2002 AMERICAN HANDGUNNER TACTICAL ANNUAL
    In the MK23 / USP article, mention is made of 6,000 rounds of .45 Super fired through a stock HK USP 45 with no damage.

I have USP45s , HK45s and much prefer the USP45. Overbuilt, slabside grip etc... I have big bony hands.
    GJM got it right in his posts.
    Last edited by 1slow; 08-26-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Most of the regulars here already know this, but thought I'd mention it in case there are lurkers out there who have never had hands-on with the USP series. The USP full size is large enough that it may not be ideal for folks with smaller hands, at least that's what I've been told by a few who have handled mine. While my hands aren't unusually large, perhaps a bit bigger than average palms but normal-length fingers, I tend to prefer larger grips and shoot better with them. For example, I do well with the factory target stocks on a classic S&W revolver, and I do well with the USP.

Out of curiosity I just grabbed one of those flexible tape measures from IKEA and put it around a few grips. My P2000 with the medium backstrap is the smallest in this less than precise series of measurements, at about 5-7/16 inches. The USP compact 45 is an even 5-1/2. A Glock 19 Gen 2 is 5-5/8. A USP 45 full size is 5-3/4 circumference, so largest of the set. It doesn't look like that much more side by side, but I can feel the difference.

The USP series was designed a little before the days of configurable grips, and the way I'd sum it up is that if one of them happens to fit your hands, it probably fits really well. The difference in grip size between compact and full size versions increases the odds that one of them works. I don't have 9 or 40 versions here to compare, and can't remember if those grips differ in size.
    Last edited by Salamander; 08-26-2019 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Most of the regulars here already know this, but thought I'd mention it in case there are lurkers out there who have never had hands-on with the USP series. The USP full size is large enough that it may not be ideal for folks with smaller hands, at least that's what I've been told by a few who have handled mine.
    Exactly right. I have a USP40 before the USP45 came out. When I tried the USP45 it was way too big for my hands since it has a bigger grip. The HK45 fits my hands well and feels more comfortable than the USP40.

HK45's is a more standard recoil system with a delrin buffer (same as the USP 45 Compacts, just upscaled). The USP 45's recoil reduction system is a dual spring setup specifically designed to reduce recoil forces imparted on the pistol and increase longevity.
    Thanks. That is interesting. I did not know this detail.
    Last edited by Ed L; 08-26-2019 at 12:51 AM.

User Tag List