Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Went to the USP 45 for CCW carry (after seriously considering the 1911). Anyone else?

Probably my longest time with one carry piece, with no changes and no rotation was with a USP Compact in .40. Reasons I migrated away seem quite silly to me today.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Probably my longest time with one carry piece, with no changes and no rotation was with a USP Compact in .40. Reasons I migrated away seem quite silly to me today.
    Well, it would'nt be hard to get another...40 cal USP, USPc police trade in's are around, and from what I've seen in about the $400ish range..just saying..

If you want a real eye-opener, lay that USP 45 FS next to a G17. The difference is tiny. The USP feels like a horse pistol, but it isn't.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Well, it would'nt be hard to get another...40 cal USP, USPc police trade in's are around, and from what I've seen in about the $400ish range..just saying..
    I still have mine. And the holsters And the magazines.

The internet tells me I should use 9mm and .40 be bad.

Hunter rose- Initially in your other thread, part of leading to your consideration of going back to 1911s was the fact that you took one to the range after not shooting for quite some period of time, and having a much easier/faster time getting up to speed on it vs the P30. If you mentioned this already I missed it, but how does your shooting with the USP45 on a timer and drills compare to the 1911 and P30? Also, what holster are you carrying the USP45 in?

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    If you want a real eye-opener, lay that USP 45 FS next to a G17. The difference is tiny. The USP feels like a horse pistol, but it isn't.

Okie John
    Yep.

This is yet another case where the internet reputation of a pistol does not match reality. The USPS 45 is not a small pistol, but there’s no appreciable size/concealment difference between it and a Glock 17 or even an HK P30L. No one on here would bat an eye if you said you wanted to carry a Glock 17 or P30L, but if you suggest carrying a USP 45 the perception immediately shifts to “That’s impossible, the USP 45 is too big and chunky to carry.”

Like many things firearms related, I find the reality very different than the internet label.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Hunter rose- Initially in your other thread, part of leading to your consideration of going back to 1911s was the fact that you took one to the range after not shooting for quite some period of time, and having a much easier/faster time getting up to speed on it vs the P30. If you mentioned this already I missed it, but how does your shooting with the USP45 on a timer and drills compare to the 1911 and P30? Also, what holster are you carrying the USP45 in?
    The USP 45 Expert is like a laser beam. It’s the most inherently accurate pistol I’ve ever shot due to a combo of weight, sight radius, and excellent SA Match trigger. The insane accuracy and ease of hitting targets out to 25 is the only reason I’m trying to make it work as a CCW. I also ordered a USP 45 Tactical, and honestly that will likely be the one that gets carried.

For the performance comparison, I had a USP 9mm Full-size for years, likely had north of 15,000 rds through it and took it through multiple classes, so I’m familiar and comfortable with the USP. The USP 45 shoots the same, just with more recoil than the 9.

As the USP relates to the 1911, P30LS, and HK 45, like everything in life THE USP 45 a compromise (HK pun intended!). The 1911 is the same in accuracy, splits faster (but has much, much slower reloads, which was a big negative for me in a low capacity gun. My brain also won’t accept the 1911 is as reliable as the USP. Not that I’ve had issues with my 1911, but it’s in the back of my brain and I always seem to be watching it, waiting for it to malfunction. Just a mental hangup on my part, but it’s there. The 1911 has more perceived recoil to me.

I shoot the USP 45 better than the HK45 due to grip. The HK45 squirms for me, breaks my grip and I have to really concentrate on it. The USP’s blocky grip just stays locked in. I think the blocky grip also dissipates recoil better and that, compiled with the USP recoil reduction system makes it feel like the softness shooting 45 I have ever used. The USP’s sights track slower as the front sight does not lift straight up and down. I’ve never been a guy shooting .18 splits so this really doesn’t affect me much.

For the P30LS, it’s recoils more since it’s a 45, but that’s offset for me with the USP Match trigger which is tons nicer. I shoot the USP faster at distance due for the trigger, P30 faster up close due to recoil and sight tracking differences.

Holsters I’m still working because few folks still support the USP. I found a guy who makes one similar to the JMCK ones. I’ll be using either that or trying out a Dale Fricke one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    I shoot the USP 45 better than the HK45 due to grip. The HK45 squirms for me, breaks my grip and I have to really concentrate on it. The USP’s blocky grip just stays locked in.
    Regarding grip, could you run a measuring tape from the backstrap, around the tigger and back to the backstrap, showing the complete circumference of that measurement for both the USP45 and HK45?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    Yep.

This is yet another case where the internet reputation of a pistol does not match reality. The USPS 45 is not a small pistol, but there’s no appreciable size/concealment difference between it and a Glock 17 or even an HK P30L. No one on here would bat an eye if you said you wanted to carry a Glock 17 or P30L, but if you suggest carrying a USP 45 the perception immediately shifts to “That’s impossible, the USP 45 is too big and chunky to carry.”

Like many things firearms related, I find the reality very different than the internet label.
    I did the same thing before I got rid of my last G19, (a gen 5) I laid the 19, on top of my USPc, in 45, just to see what the difference was, and honestly it was minor, The USPc's grip was a little bit longer, and sure the USP is chunkier, but that was about it, putting the same g19 on top of my 9mm USPc, and there was almost no difference.. but what do I know, the internet says you can't carry these..

Thanks for the interesting info Hunter Rose. I'm pleased that JMCK is doing holsters for the USP9/40 again, but since he's not doing it for the 45 I'm very interested in what you end up with. Please keep us updated!

User Tag List