Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Went to the USP 45 for CCW carry (after seriously considering the 1911). Anyone else?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    For durability, you simply cannot beat them.

The draw to me on the USP .45 was the fact I had over a decade behind the USPc. It was a natural addition.
    Last edited by entropy; 09-05-2019 at 09:58 PM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Just for fun, so it doesn't get lost in the infinite past of the memes thread...

Name:  USP crime rate.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  65.5 KB
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post

It just seems as I shoot them more think about them more, the USP series seems to get unfairly maligned as defensive pistol for things that only really matter for competition (or for only the top level shooters that the majority of folks are not). I guess really I'm just annoyed at myself for letting perceived negatives that really have no bearing on me push me away from the USP to newer "better" designs that for me really weren't.
    I'm not really concerned with what mass-market opinion says. My needs/desires aren't typical anyway.

Analyze some of the perceived negatives, and here's what I come up with:
    - proprietary rail? I don't use a light, especially on a field pistol.
    - too large? Works fine for me anytime in the backcountry or most places in cool season. And the robust design contributes to reliability. It was designed as a service pistol, not a pocket gun.
    - blocky grip? Fits my fairly average hand just fine and I've come to prefer it. A valid concern for some individuals with smaller hands, which is why there are so many other choices out there.
    - splits? I'm not currently shooting competition, and the USP 45 FS recoils so softly for a 45 that it's fine for most uses.
    - capacity? I only get 10 here in California, and that's four more than in my backcountry revolvers.
    - atypical mag release? I happen to like it better, and can drop a mag without shifting my grip at all.
    - trigger? The standard DA/SA is better than some reviews indicate. The match trigger is outstanding. LEM, with a little practice, is excellent in the carry role it was designed for.
    - expensive? Whatever. Quality has a cost. Many of the less expensive alternatives need so many mods to run that it's a wash in the end.

The positives are important ones: Reliable. Accurate. Ready to go out of the box, with any minor mods being preference rather than need.

I have another one on the way, a USP 45 FS to go with my USP 45c and USP 45 Elite. Maybe a couple weeks out because of a busy work schedule. The plan is, after conversion to LEM and standard reliability vetting (it's a HK, so that's likely just a formality) to add it to the rotation in the outdoor role. The P2000 9mm keeps the in town role.

Newer isn't always better. The manufacturers need to keep putting out new products to drive growth, but a lot of it is marketing spin. If something already works well.....
    Last edited by Salamander; 09-06-2019 at 12:25 AM.

^^^^^This^^^^^

Just to add...

When was the last time the USP series was involved in a “voluntary recall” or “upgrade”?
    Bueller?...Bueller...?

I have a USP 40 that was my only gun for a minute...I was PCSed out in Texas for the Army (for 6 months) and had no guns...at the end of my orders, I took a detour out to El Paso to visit family before heading back to AL. I bought a used USP 40 so I would have a gat.....it's been on Armslist as I narrow down my "accumulation", but I'm wondering if that's a mistake.....

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If I could only have one, the top several choices for which one would be USP. Just have to pick a caliber and size.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    ^^^^^This^^^^^

Just to add...

When was the last time the USP series was involved in a “voluntary recall” or “upgrade”?
    Bueller?...Bueller...?
    The firing pin on my USP 45c broke after a few years. Customer service repaired it with a re-engineered part at no charge other than the cost of shipping it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Unisaw View Post
    The firing pin on my USP 45c broke after a few years. Customer service repaired it with a re-engineered part at no charge other than the cost of shipping it in.
    And the USP firing pin issue was fixed, what, two decades ago now?

That and the false reset issue are the only two I can think of.
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 09-06-2019 at 07:20 PM.

It’s mechanical, and nothing is perfect. Although I think it’s pretty dang close in the case of the USP series. Yep, my firing pin fractured too. IIRC, it occurred at about the 30K point, with who knows how many dry fire repetitions. I guess my point is that it was nothing systemic in it’s general design like we’ve seen recently with others. From my experience with 3 USPc’s, they are by far ( in my opinion) the most reliable pistols I have ever owned.

Early USP vs Modern USP

The question of old vs modern USP came up on this forum. Here is a link to it. For info only.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...odern-usp.html

User Tag List