Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Went to the USP 45 for CCW carry (after seriously considering the 1911). Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Interesting how many experienced HK shooters end up going to, or going back to, the USP after trying other/newer things for a while. I can feel that pull myself.

HK got a lot of things right with the USP design, especially for those of us who value reliability. And... they just shoot well.
    Any thoughts on if the USP any more durable than the P30 or HK45? I would think it is about the same.

I have both the P30L and HK45 and prefer them to the USP40 that I have in terms of grip and shooting. I did send them to Gray Guns and then Lazy Wolf guns to have the groove in the inside bottom of the trigger guard removed. I found that during recoil it sometimes stung my trigger finger. I also had the Lazy Wolf reduced reset package done on them.

My USP-40 is mentioned in this thread on the 40 S&W :https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post920267.
    Last edited by Ed L; 08-24-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am working on Tony at JM supporting the USP FS 45 again — sounds promising. Those interested ought to ping him.
    Ok guys, we are getting on this! Will hopefully have molds within the next 60 days or so. USP 9 Fullsize should be here quicker than that!
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    Ok guys, we are getting on this! Will hopefully have molds within the next 60 days or so. USP 9 Fullsize should be here quicker than that!
    Great news!

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    With the .45 Expert, can you install any regular USP45 sights? I know it comes with adjustable sights, but I want to say at some point someone told me it's a different dovetail or something from the standard USP models.
    Technically you can, but because of the recessed dovetails on the Expert, you would leave the hole to the FPBS exposed. Potentially, debris could get in there and mess with the FPBS function.

The best option for the Expert is the Meprolight adjustable tritium sights. They are designed for the Expert dovetail. Also very rugged. These are what I plan to install, and then just put some locktite in the in the adjustment screws when zeroed.

The adjustable Mepo's are standard tritium with white outlines front and back, so if you don't like that sight picture you are better off with a regular USP or Tactical, those both have the regular cut dovetails.
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 08-25-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    Excellent to hear you will be supporting the USP 45 again!

I was going to order from a different holster maker, but I'll wait, since your holsters are my preferred ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Any thoughts on if the USP any more durable than the P30 or HK45? I would think it is about the same.
    I'd think the USP 45 would be slightly more durable than the HK45 due to the recoil reduction system on it. However, with Todd's HK45 that went 50K rds with essentially zero issues, it's not like any increased durability in the USP 45 really matters. But yeah, there's the USP 45 that Federal used for testing ammo that had over 297K+ rounds documented on it, returned to HK for a look, and essentially just needed some new springs, so there is that.

The USP is much more overbuilt for the 9mm or .40 S&W rounds than the P30 is. Again, Todd's P30 went 90K+rounds before it was toast, but I don't think a USP 9 would be destroyed at 90K rounds.
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 08-25-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I received the same reply from Tony today. I thanked him for his responsiveness. I cant imagine set up is cheap.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    Technically you can, but because of the recessed dovetails on the Expert, you would leave the hole to the FPBS exposed. Potentially, debris could get in there and mess with the FPBS function.

The best option for the Expert is the Meprolight adjustable tritium sights. They are designed for the Expert dovetail. Also very rugged. These are what I plan to install, and then just put some locktite in the in the adjustment screws when zeroed.

The adjustable Mepo's are standard tritium with white outlines front and back, so if you don't like that sight picture you are better off with a regular USP or Tactical, those both have the regular cut dovetails.
    Gotcha, thank you sir. Guess I'll go with the standard then. I was thinking I'd like the expert as a home defense pistol. It'd be nice with that extra sight radius, but only if I could get the HD style night sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Gotcha, thank you sir. Guess I'll go with the standard then. I was thinking I'd like the expert as a home defense pistol. It'd be nice with that extra sight radius, but only if I could get the HD style night sights.
    If you're only getting one USP 45, that's probably the smart choice. If you're planning on getting two USP 45s, I'd recommend doing what I'm doing, getting a USP 45 Expert and also a USP 45 Tactical or regular Fullsize. The 45 Expert's are only about $100 more than the base Fullsize models, and the Expert give's you amb-safeties, the true Match trigger with all Match parts, a Variant 9 detent plate (if you want to try cocked and locked), and a second bobbed hammer.

My plan is to mount the Tactical slide on the Expert frame for carry. This gives me ambi-safeties, Match trigger, increased reliability and easier carrying of the Tactical's shorter slide, and I can use my preferred Trijicon HD sights. Best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    If you're only getting one USP 45, that's probably the smart choice. If you're planning on getting two USP 45s, I'd recommend doing what I'm doing, getting a USP 45 Expert and also a USP 45 Tactical or regular Fullsize. The 45 Expert's are only about $100 more than the base Fullsize models, and the Expert give's you amb-safeties, the true Match trigger with all Match parts, a Variant 9 detent plate (if you want to try cocked and locked), and a second bobbed hammer.

My plan is to mount the Tactical slide on the Expert frame for carry. This gives me ambi-safeties, Match trigger, increased reliability and easier carrying of the Tactical's shorter slide, and I can use my preferred Trijicon HD sights. Best of both worlds.
    That's cool, I didn't realize the expert came with all that extra stuff. Currently on Budsgunshop is an expert 45 for only $851 vs $830 for a standard on Grabagun. Seems like a damn nice piece for $21 extra

User Tag List