Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Went to the USP 45 for CCW carry (after seriously considering the 1911). Anyone else?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Has anybody running V1 installed Match trigger components (hammer, nickel flat spring, Match/Compact hammer spring) with a heavy TRS to get the total weight back up but with the smoother, lighter, crisper break of the Match hammer? Seems like an obvious rebalancing of the V1 configuration, but my Google-fu hasn't found any discussion of it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Talk me out of a .45 Expert

I've gone over to USP's for all my semi-auto .45 shooting (with the exception of some 1911's kept for sentimental reasons). I've got a .45 Elite and a .45 full-size, both with LEM match hybrid triggers, and am seriously considering adding a .45 Expert to the bunch seeing as how they're currently available and not much more costly than a standard full size. Any reason not to pick up an Expert?
    Last edited by oregon45; 09-22-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Any reason not to pick up an Expert?
    Only real negative is the very limited sight options. Due to the recess cut in the rear of the slide, you're really stuck with either the factory adjustable rear or the MeproLight Adjustable 3-Dot Tritium sights.

Quoting myself from the "field pistol" thread to consolidate content in this one hereafter:
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I got the part [bobbed Expert/Match hammer] from HKParts.net today. ... it came in a bag marked "217981," same as yours. ...I also noticed the spring pin that the hammer strut acts against was severely scraped when it was installed, leading to striations across the direction the strut rubs. Can't be good for the DA action. Will be thinking about what to do about that.
    I punched the spring pin out of the standard hammer that came with the gun and measured it. Decided what standard specification I believe it conforms to and bought a bag of 100 such pins for $12 shipped. Will skip the kitchen table armoring lesson and just say I'm satisfied with the result.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Has anybody running V1 installed Match trigger components (hammer, nickel flat spring, Match/Compact hammer spring) with a heavy TRS to get the total weight back up but with the smoother, lighter, crisper break of the Match hammer? Seems like an obvious rebalancing of the V1 configuration, but my Google-fu hasn't found any discussion of it.
    Did this configuration, with a 3+4 plate. Did a bunch of dry fire last night. The DA pull smoothed out some in the first 50 or so presses, as expected. I haven't measured, but subjectively, it still requires more effort than my classic Sigs with all standard springs. It still has that lumpy stick/slip feel that is characteristic of USPs when going slower. The SA release is nice and light, though still with a bit of creep. I wouldn't call it crisp, but it's OK for a USP and will be fine at speed.

I can do 50 presses or more rapidly on my GP100 or a classic Sig with all standard factory springs with no issue. My trigger finger was fatiguing well before that on the USP DA, even with this setup. I actually went back to the LEM Light TRS. The DA pull was lightened just a hair further. I did some more dry practice. My finger definitely was ready for a break.

Interestingly, the tendonitis in my elbow that is normally aggravated by dry firing has been reduced today versus what it's been lately. Would be both weird and awesome if the geometry of Uld Slabsided Pistola happens to be a tendonitis solution for me.

I may pick up a V3 Compact control lever (the Compact lever sticks out about 0.10-in. less from the frame) and dehorn the lower rear corner of it to protect my thumb knuckle's high grip.

I now have a Compact 9mm with LEM Match hybrid setup and a FS .45 with the setup described here. WWB for the 9mm, because if it will run those crummy cases (the M11-A1 wouldn't), it will run darn near anything. S&B for the .45 because of the reputation for hard primers to prove out the light spring. Will be putting in rounds and deciding how to move forward.
    Not another dime.

I had a usp 45 when I was about 23, I sold it like an idiot. I've been wanting to get another one for years and this thread has given me a reason to do that. I'm gonna pick one up soon. I see T5 custom kydex has an aiwb holster for it and that's what I'll probably end up with since tier 1 concealed doesnt offer support for the usp 45.

Quote Originally Posted by awdxtc View Post
    I had a usp 45 when I was about 23, I sold it like an idiot. I've been wanting to get another one for years and this thread has given me a reason to do that. I'm gonna pick one up soon. I see T5 custom kydex has an aiwb holster for it and that's what I'll probably end up with since tier 1 concealed doesnt offer support for the usp 45.
    Just a heads up in case you're not aware: JMCK is once again offering holsters for the USP line....

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    JMCK is once again offering holsters for the USP line....
    Still does not appear as a orderable option as of today...is this one of those "gotta call" things?

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Still does not appear as a orderable option as of today...is this one of those "gotta call" things?
    Per the info in this thread:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ITION-Holsters

You put in the comments it's for the USP. I would contact Tony for more specifics as that info is from a while ago. At that time he had the machinery on order for the USP, I don't know for sure if he has it up and running just yet.

I love my USP45's. Alot of people bitch about the size. Every single person who I have let shoot mine, walks away i pressed. I bought a USP45 V1 version. I liked it so much that I picked up a USP45 Tactical LE version. I am going to look for a USP45 Expert and a USP9.

Tried out the P30 15-rd mags I bought on Black Friday in the 9 Compact with X-Grip adaptor. Holy cow, it's really good. I also realized that the Compact grip (no mag inserted) is nearly the same as a Beretta 92 full size. Almost a perfect overlap in side profile, with not more than probably a couple mm difference anywhere, including length. X-Grip P30 mags to basic Beretta mags is pretty close, as well. Certainly explains my prior observation that a USP Compact feels right whereas a Beretta compact feels weird and wrong in my hands. Range time to follow...
    Not another dime.

User Tag List