Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Went to the USP 45 for CCW carry (after seriously considering the 1911). Anyone else?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    I have P30s, HK45s, USP45, USP9. Large bony hands.

When I grip USP with forearm in line with pistol, my finger joints bend exactly where the front grip frame corners are. This is very hand size and shape specific.

This locks the USP in better for me than P30 or HK45. It takes a lot more force to move the boxy USP grip in my hand than more rounded P30, HK45 grips.

I may be in the minority.
    GJM discusses in the Field Pistol thread how the Spiderman grips tend to squirm a bit more and are more difficult to control under recoil than Ol' Slabsides (in context of launching .45 Super, of course).
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    No miscommunication good sir! I understand JMCK isn't offering holsters for the USP45, but you might not be aware he has resumed offering them for the USP9/40 as discussed here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ITION-Holsters

But I'm very interested in what you end up with for the USP45!
    Well hell, that's awesome about JMCK supporting the USP 9 again. Guess I'll need to pick up a USP 9 now for use as a sub-caliber trainer like GJM does.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    No miscommunication good sir! I understand JMCK isn't offering holsters for the USP45, but you might not be aware he has resumed offering them for the USP9/40 as discussed here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ITION-Holsters

But I'm very interested in what you end up with for the USP45!
    I am working on Tony at JM supporting the USP FS 45 again — sounds promising. Those interested ought to ping him.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The below question and my response got asked on a different forum, so I thought I'd post it here as to why I think the USP 45 offers advantages in .45 Auto but I prefer other pistols to the USP in 9mm. Figured I'd post it here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post

Why do some prefer the USP in .45 instead of 9mm?
    All this is just my opinion, but it's my thought process that led me to getting the USP 45 spun up as my carry gun.

Personally, I just like .45 Auto and think it's very good for a defensive pistol round. All that increased bullet technology that has brought 9mm to where it is today has also improved .45 Auto in my opinion. Darryl Bolke's observations on Pistol-Forum of .45 Auto 230 gr +P HST's real world performance lend to its effectiveness.

As for the USP Fullsize, it makes more sense to me in .45 Auto and while I've become a fan lately of it in .45, all of my enthusiasm doesn't really translate to the USP in 9mm.

For the USP 45, it does stuff for me that other pistols don't:

- Capacity: It gives me 12+1 capacity in .45; to me that is a sweet spot where I don't feel like I'm really giving up a whole lot capacity wise to a 15+1 9mm. That decision matrix changed when I was looking at an 8+1 1911 or a 10+1 HK45. Having 3 less rds than a 9mm was not a big deal to me, but having 5 or 7 less rds in the gun makes a 9mm more attractive

- Recoil: the recoil reduction system & blocky grip works for me; I feel the USP has the least felt recoil of all the 45 pistols I've tried, that ease of shooting a .45 offsets that the sights do not track straight up and down. I can live with the different sight tracking characteristics, because my grip never breaks and I have to concentrate less on grip/recoil control.

- Accuracy: it's stupid accurate; even more so in single action with the Match tigger. My USPs are all Variant 9, so the safety does not de-cock and I carry it cocked and locked like a 1911 and all shots are SA

So ultimately, my feelings are the USP 45 gives me 1911 accuracy and trigger sweetness, high capacity with HK reliability/durability, in a package that is not really noticeably larger than a Glock 17 or HK P30LS (as that size relates to carry/concealability).

However, in the USP 9 the calculus changes a bit for me. Because the 9mm recoils a lot less than 45, the recoil reduction system and blocky grip don't really give me any benefit over the P30LS. Because of less recoil, the P30LS doesn't squirm in my hand like the HK45 does. Since grip/recoil control is not an issue, I prefer the P30LS straight up and down sight tracking over the USP 9. I do like the trigger better in the USP though.

The USP 9 is also not very size efficient for a 9mm. Due to the thick polymer mags, it only offers 15 rds. I've always thought an easy improvement for the USP would have been for HK to develop a steel mag for it. With the reduced thickness, I think they'd have an 18 rd mag with HK mag awesomeness that does not extend below the USP grip. That would be a compelling package for me.

Ultimately, I think the USP 45 offers some things that no other .45 out there does, where I feel there are plenty of 9mms that offer advantages over the USP 9.
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 08-24-2019 at 12:17 PM.

How do you feel about the USP45 Compact?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am working on Tony at JM supporting the USP FS 45 again — sounds promising. Those interested ought to ping him.
    Just pinged him and got a response immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    How do you feel about the USP45 Compact?
    Funny you should ask because I just started looking for a USP 45 Compact to test out. I owned one years ago, but again it was before I got serious about shooting so I didn't really know anything about grip or recoil management. I like the USP 45 Compact better than he HK45 Compact because of the grip. The smooth sided P2000-esque grip on the HK45 Compact was slippery as hell to me, and I much prefer the USP Compact's grip. Other than grip, they are essentially the same pistol.

If you absolutely want only .45 Auto it makes sense for a carry gun, I think it makes sense. I plan to set it mine up with the 4.5" extended threaded barrel. With the flat mag floor plates it gives you a very concealable .45 with the same 8+1 capacity as the much taller 1911 Government model, but with standard HK accuracy/reliability/durability.

However, I doubt I'll end up carrying it. The size vs capacity issue makes other guns more attractive to me. I'd likely choose the P30 or the USP 9 compact over the 45, since for roughly the same size or smaller, you're looking at 15+1 or 13+1 capacity over 8+1 capacity. Again, that +5 or +7 rds in the same sized gun starts getting very compelling to me.

Putting the Elephant foot HK45 mag in the compact makes it longer in the grip (and therefore harder to conceal) than a USP 45, so to me I don't really see a place for it.
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 08-24-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Just pinged him and got a response immediately.
    What did he say? Is the USP 45 Fullsize in the plans again for JMCK?

He said thanks for letting him know, he will lmk when there’s an update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rich

Director of R&D and product acquisitions at Empire Outfitters

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    Funny you should ask because I just started looking for a USP 45 Compact to test out. I owned one years ago, but again it was before I got serious about shooting so I didn't really know anything about grip or recoil management. I like the USP 45 Compact better than he HK45 Compact because of the grip. The smooth sided P2000-esque grip on the HK45 Compact was slippery as hell to me, and I much prefer the USP Compact's grip. Other than grip, they are essentially the same pistol.

If you absolutely want only .45 Auto it makes sense for a carry gun, I think it makes sense. I plan to set it mine up with the 4.5" extended threaded barrel. With the flat mag floor plates it gives you a very concealable .45 with the same 8+1 capacity as the much taller 1911 Government model, but with standard HK accuracy/reliability/durability.

However, I doubt I'll end up carrying it. The size vs capacity issue makes other guns more attractive to me. I'd likely choose the P30 or the USP 9 compact over the 45, since for roughly the same size or smaller, you're looking at 15+1 or 13+1 capacity over 8+1 capacity. Again, that +5 or +7 rds in the same sized gun starts getting very compelling to me.

Putting the Elephant foot HK45 mag in the compact makes it longer in the grip (and therefore harder to conceal) than a USP 45, so to me I don't really see a place for it.
    Usp45 compact is attractive to me.

I agree the hk45c is a slippery gun.

User Tag List