Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Went to the USP 45 for CCW carry (after seriously considering the 1911). Anyone else?

In case anyone is looking for USPc, in .45acp, there is one for sale on this board, in the for sale section/firearms..just sayin
    Last edited by ralph; 08-24-2019 at 04:46 PM.

I've often wondered if there is some advantage to a .45 Auto or .40 S&W over a similar 9mm pistol as the extra recoil the rounds provide, while making them slightly more difficult to shoot, make the slide function and ejection more reliable in non-optimum conditions.

My USP 40 Full Size has been my EDC for some time now in a couple of Horseshoe leather holsters (22H & 62L models). I like it a lot as a do anything sort of tool, as I really don't know what I might expect to encounter depending on where I am. It is really not as bad to carry as many would make it out to be, though it is sizable enough that you know it when you are carrying it.

Regarding the slab sides vs P30 swells, I very much agree with the arguments for the slab side personally. I find that it allows me to have a better natural point of aim in terms of getting a rough alignment of the pistol before using the sights to verify alignment. With the P30L, I find I have a much harder time pointing intuitively and have to use the sights more to refine the alignment whereas the USP just ends up almost dead on for me.

It is somewhat like grabbing a pipe or a baseball bat vs grabbing a 2x4 or 4x4, the hard corners give you immediate tactile feedback as to how the item is oriented in you hand. The P30 grip feels incredible in your hand because there are no hard corners anywhere to cause hot-spots, but this very same positive leaves you with the negative of not having a strong sense for intuitive pointing or alignment on your target.

I also find I much prefer the slide contour of the USP compared to the P2000/P30 in that while it is blocky, it also has the diagonal cuts at the top which align with the angle of the sights to really draw your attention to the front sight. This is very similar to the sights on the Steyr pistols with the triangle front. I am a fan of those sights also for similar reasons, I think a trinangle also makes more sense than a dot to my eyes (Trijicon likes them too apparently).

My USP is the V1 DA/SA, which I also appreciate for using the pistol as a roving pistol that is not on my body but within reach say on a desk or counter next to me depending on what I'm doing. I carry DA, with the safety in the off position and while I generally don't like carrying with a safety I feel that the USP design has a stiff enough detent as to not be overly concerned with activation and it makes a very loud click if it does go on by accident.

I think it would be easy to say that USP is outclassed or outdated by newer H&K or XXX brand hotness, but I don't necessarily agree. This would be like saying the same of Glock, which in my opinion it would apply more to. The USP is still commanding $800+ at retail because it is simply one of the most tested and proven pistol designs to date, NOT simply because of the video gamer/collector types buying them to fondle or hang on the wall next to posters.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    In case anyone is looking for USPc, in .45acp, there is one for sale on this board, in the for sale section/firearms..just sayin
    It’s the whole reason I mentioned it. If I weren’t saving for a great deal on a 1911, I’d do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rich

Director of R&D and product acquisitions at Empire Outfitters

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    It’s the whole reason I mentioned it. If I weren’t saving for a great deal on a 1911, I’d do it.
    All of you shut up. I've got dibs on it.

That was a good buy, now someone needs to sell me a USP 45 full size

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post

I think it would be easy to say that USP is outclassed or outdated by newer H&K or XXX brand hotness, but I don't necessarily agree. This would be like saying the same of Glock, which in my opinion it would apply more to. The USP is still commanding $800+ at retail because it is simply one of the most tested and proven pistol designs to date, NOT simply because of the video gamer/collector types buying them to fondle or hang on the wall next to posters.
    Interesting how many experienced HK shooters end up going to, or going back to, the USP after trying other/newer things for a while. I can feel that pull myself.

HK got a lot of things right with the USP design, especially for those of us who value reliability. And... they just shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    That was a good buy, now someone needs to sell me a USP 45 full size
    1 owner USP 45ACP V1. Link sent via PM.

Please buy it before I find my CC...
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 08-24-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    Interesting how many experienced HK shooters end up going to, or going back to, the USP after trying other/newer things for a while. I can feel that pull myself.

HK got a lot of things right with the USP design, especially for those of us who value reliability. And... they just shoot well.
    That's pretty much it, the USP has been around for quite awhile, accuracy, and reliabilty are pretty much unquestioned at this point, Looking the USP up on wikipedia, it's been used by 26 different countries, and often with several different agencies,military units within the same country. I've tried a few different HK pistols, I have a HK45ct, and a P-30, and yet I still prefer a USP's grip, as boxy as it is. I've been experimenting with using a Talon grip on my USPc 45..I 've been using the sandpaper grip, and I have one of the rubber textured ones as well if I want to switch, I will say that the rough grip really locks your hand on to the pistol, I like it..

With the .45 Expert, can you install any regular USP45 sights? I know it comes with adjustable sights, but I want to say at some point someone told me it's a different dovetail or something from the standard USP models.

User Tag List