Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA, sixgun style

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I was trying to be optimistic

Looking at my scores I'm pretty embarrassed. It's just about my worst scores.
    Optimism is always a good idea, there is a huge benefit to positive self talk. It’s tough to balance that with realistic self assessment for me, so I’ve always erred on the side of realism. The best thing you can do is look at your mistakes, analyze why you made them, and work on ways to correct them.

Man that ain't bad with a 2.5" gun. Not bad at all, especially shooting major in it.

Watch reaching over the barrel to eject, you'll get a DQ at a major and some locals in my area.

If you stick with it, you'll find that dumping a round or two on the way to the next array isn't a totally bad thing. Stage planning doesn't always require that you shoot it dry.

I look at matches as just a game that I can get trigger time which is always good. Damn good job tho!

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Optimism is always a good idea, there is a huge benefit to positive self talk. It’s tough to balance that with realistic self assessment for me, so I’ve always erred on the side of realism. The best thing you can do is look at your mistakes, analyze why you made them, and work on ways to correct them.
    Add in that I think I was looking at someone else's score I legit thought I did better than I did

In terms of optimism. In my line of work it makes a huge difference. There's times at work I feel the need to project optimism to tired, ragged staff, and teetering patients.

Lethal weapon 4 has Rigs talking about "willing" things to go his way. I say it all the time. If we've got a violent group of patients I "will" them to have a good day.

Everytime I've seen a revolver shooter in USPSA it looks like they are wearing funky body armor made from speedloaders.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Everytime I've seen a revolver shooter in USPSA it looks like they are wearing funky body armor made from speedloaders.
    Five or six on the belt and a couple in a pocket. Plus the one that I use to charge the gun at the "make ready" command.

The match I shot with @03RN was the second USPSA match I'd ever shot. Which made me probably the newest USPSA shooter in the squad.

I'm learning things. Last time, it was that HKS speedloaders suck for competition. I switched to Safariland Comp IIs, only to find myself trying to turn the knob a couple of times. I'll have to practice reloading (I have dummy rounds for that). The field holster that I have isn't good for USPSA, as when I hold the retention strap clear with my offhand, I have to be careful that I don't muzzle my finger, which could be a DQ.

I keep telling myself to slow down. Careful aiming is better than going fast and whacking a no-shoot. One stage had a six-plate rack. I took that one rather slowly as I know from a couple of man against woman rimfire shoots that missing a plate screws with my head.

(Also, my knees suck. So I'm not sprinting from one firing point to another.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Five or six on the belt and a couple in a pocket. Plus the one that I use to charge the gun at the "make ready" command.

The match I shot with @03RN was the second USPSA match I'd ever shot. Which made me probably the newest USPSA shooter in the squad.

I'm learning things. Last time, it was that HKS speedloaders suck for competition. I switched to Safariland Comp IIs, only to find myself trying to turn the knob a couple of times. I'll have to practice reloading (I have dummy rounds for that). The field holster that I have isn't good for USPSA, as when I hold the retention strap clear with my offhand, I have to be careful that I don't muzzle my finger, which could be a DQ.

I keep telling myself to slow down. Careful aiming is better than going fast and whacking a no-shoot. One stage had a six-plate rack. I took that one rather slowly as I know from a couple of man against woman rimfire shoots that missing a plate screws with my head.

The fact that you got out there and competed and learned is HUGE. Keep it up. O3RN looked pretty good from the videos understanding he is shooting MAGNUM rounds and its a short barreled K Frame. Most revo shooters I have seen shoot 625's or 4" barreled K / L Frame.... If you had fun, learned something new / figured out a better way to "skin that smokewagon" then I say Bully for you.
    Johnny Walker

I would definitely recommend switching to Comp-IIIs over the 2s

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Walker View Post
    The fact that you got out there and competed and learned is HUGE. Keep it up. O3RN looked pretty good from the videos understanding he is shooting MAGNUM rounds and its a short barreled K Frame. Most revo shooters I have seen shoot 625's or 4" barreled K / L Frame.... If you had fun, learned something new / figured out a better way to "skin that smokewagon" then I say Bully for you.
    I'm shooting a 4" 686. Once I get better with it, I may go to a 3" K.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I would definitely recommend switching to Comp-IIIs over the 2s
    I'm trying to stick with things that I might use for carrying. (I have a couple Comp IIs for my M65 and a Comp I for my M60.)

I'm shooting a 4" 686. Once I get better with it, I may go to a 3" K.
    That sounds like a good game plan! Do you see many of the S&W 929's used locally in matches???
    Johnny Walker

User Tag List