Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: USPSA, sixgun style

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I wish I thought that was cheap.

I got a couple cases of perfecta recently. I think after shipping it was .18cpr
    I legitimately don't trust euro manufactured ammo in my wheelguns. Part of that is irregular primer hardness, and part of that is I've seen too much goofy quality control from Euro wheelgun ammo.

I actually had a discussion the other day about this. At this point, the only ammo you'll ever see me put through my .38 and .357 wheelguns either says Federal or Hornady on the box. Part of that is because my time, all of my time, has a dollar sign associated with it, and I don't want to lose time having to clean soft lead from weird ammo out of my gun, or deal with dead primers, etc. In fact, I could probably narrow my life down to three different loads: American Eagle 130gr FMJ, Federal Gold Medal Match 148gr wadcutter, and Hornady Critical Duty 135gr FTX.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I legitimately don't trust euro manufactured ammo in my wheelguns. Part of that is irregular primer hardness, and part of that is I've seen too much goofy quality control from Euro wheelgun ammo.

I actually had a discussion the other day about this. At this point, the only ammo you'll ever see me put through my .38 and .357 wheelguns either says Federal or Hornady on the box. Part of that is because my time, all of my time, has a dollar sign associated with it, and I don't want to lose time having to clean soft lead from weird ammo out of my gun, or deal with dead primers, etc. In fact, I could probably narrow my life down to three different loads: American Eagle 130gr FMJ, Federal Gold Medal Match 148gr wadcutter, and Hornady Critical Duty 135gr FTX.
    I was very impressed with perfecta/fiocchi .38/.357.

The 2 cases of perfecta.38 was some of the cleanest, most consistent ammo I've shot.

I shoot primarily my own reloads so it's a moot point.

I reckon given the current economy and the value of a buck, $0.33 a round is a pretty good price for 158gr LRN.
    It's funny how expensive $0.33/round .38spl sounds when you load your own 9mm for $0.10/round. Admittedly not apples to apples since 9mm brass is effectively free as long as you're willing to pick it up, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    It's funny how expensive $0.33/round .38spl sounds when you load your own 9mm for $0.10/round. Admittedly not apples to apples since 9mm brass is effectively free as long as you're willing to pick it up, but still...
    I load .38s with 7 cent bullets. 3 cents for primers and 5.2gr unique.

Even my .357 loads are cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I load .38s with 7 cent bullets. 3 cents for primers and 5.2gr unique.

Even my .357 loads are cheaper.
    I envy people whose time/value equation allows them to reload.

Yeah, I hear that. Even with double time loading is more cost effective for me. Even on a single stage.

Site Supporter
    Paid by the hour. But I'm also not required to sit at a reloading bench for 13 hours a day if I decided to start loading. Different story if I pick up a shift.

Otherwise, I get a few boxes of ammo out of an hour and it's off to the range, or the gym or make myself some food and kill a four pack of Breckenridge Nitro Vanilla Porter and listen to a podcast.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I'm always confused by the argument that because at work you make $X/hour where X is greater than the hourly rate at which you'd save money by reloading, reloading is not worthwhile. In my mind at least, that can only hold true if you're getting paid your hourly rate for every hour you're awake. If you're at work 16 hours/day and you sleep the other 8, fine, you don't have time to reload, but you also don't have time to shoot, so it doubly doesn't matter.

It's called "automation". It's called "man cave" so I can go out there, watch predator, listen to Motely Crue and kill a 6er of Natty while I wait for 1000 rounds to be done...

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I'm always confused by the argument that because at work you make $X/hour where X is greater than the hourly rate at which you'd save money by reloading, reloading is not worthwhile. In my mind at least, that can only hold true if you're getting paid your hourly rate for every hour you're awake. If you're at work 16 hours/day and you sleep the other 8, fine, you don't have time to reload, but you also don't have time to shoot, so it doubly doesn't matter.
    I could have responded to any one of these, but yours will do just as well. Here's how it works for me - I work part time for Uncle Sam, and sometimes he sends me on cool field trips, like the one I'm on now.

When I'm not working for Uncle Sugar, I'm self employed. The nature of my self-employment is such that I can generate money regardless of where I am on the planet, so long as I have a reliable wifi connection. The industry in which I'm employed is the firearms industry, which means that reloading is a work task, regardless of when it occurs. Reloading generates no actual revenue, it just makes one of my expenditure columns slightly smaller. So let's say that I can reload .38 for 10 cents a round, vs paying 33 cents a round. My time expenditure to get a case of 1,000 rounds of .38 that I buy is ~5 minutes, counting the time it takes to walk down to the concierge and pick it up.

Now let's say that counting set up and clean up, including lead decon since I have a small child, it takes me 2 hours to load 1,000 rounds of .38. But I've saved 23 cents a round, which means my net savings for that 1,000 rounds is $230 vs paying for it. That sounds pretty great, right? It is...until you factor in that during those same two hours I could also write, proof, and submit a web article for RECOIL that makes me $250, and that's my lowest paying client.

User Tag List