Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: USPSA, sixgun style

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    It is...until you factor in that during those same two hours I could also write, proof, and submit a web article for RECOIL that makes me $250, and that's my lowest paying client.
    That math is fine as far as it goes, though I'd actually suggest that it's pretty optimistic to say you could go from start to finish on 1000 rounds in 2 hours. The question I'm asking, though, is *would* you have spent that two hours writing, proofing, and submitting an article, or would it have been time spent sitting on the couch reading P-F on your phone or doing some other thing that doesn't actually generate income? Unless you'd actually be taking time away from income-generating activities to do the reloading, then reloading wouldn't be stopping you from earning money.

If you'd rather pay $0.33/round so that you have that two hours to spend doing something something fun with your family, that's a 100% valid choice, but it doesn't mean that reloading wouldn't save you money - it means that you personally value your free time more than the money you'd save.

Site Supporter
    Gonna apologize for this massive thread drift and maybe I should just start a new topic, but Jetfire, do you have any specific decontamination procedures after a range day?
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 10-03-2019 at 08:24 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Thread drift is life....
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Gonna apologize for this massive thread drift and maybe I should just start a new topic, but Jetfire, do you have any specific decontamination procedures after a range day?
    Upon return from an outdoor range:
    1. TAKE SHOES OFF FOR FUCK'S SAKE
    2. Change out of range clothes, which go in the regular hamper
    3. take a lukewarm shower

Return from an indoor range:
    1. SHOES, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD
    2. change out of range clothes, which go in a seperate "lead contaminated hamper"
    3. take as cold a shower as I can stand

The biggest lead contaminator in your range attire is your shoes. I recommend having a separate pair of shoes that only gets worn on the range, and that never comes further into your house than the doorway. Also, I don't understand wearing shoes around the house in general, because shoes touch all the gross things.

Also, I don't understand wearing shoes around the house in general, because shoes touch all the gross things.
    Have five rescue dogs; you get sick of stepping in surprise dog shit real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Have five rescue dogs; you get sick of stepping in surprise dog shit real quick.
    I have white tile floors in my house. Hard pass

Site Supporter

2. change out of range clothes, which go in a seperate "lead contaminated hamper"

The biggest lead contaminator in your range attire is your shoes. I recommend having a separate pair of shoes that only gets worn on the range, and that never comes further into your house than the doorway. Also, I don't understand wearing shoes around the house in general, because shoes touch all the gross things.
    Good call. I tend to follow a similar no shoes policy after work because hospitals are fucking gross. And I definitely contemplate burning my scrubs at least monthly, but a separate hamper is something I didn't consider.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Also, I don't understand wearing shoes around the house in general, because shoes touch all the gross things.
    I wear boots and jeans untill I get ready for bed. IDK why. Good for the immune system I guess

I typically wipe my boots down with the leadaway wipes at the indoor range.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Thread drift is life....
    Aye...

I've come to appreciate thread drift for the most part. I learn a lot of new things, and find myself thinking about things is different ways because of it.

I simplify both of your lists into the same procedure for both outdoor and indoor ranges:

1. Take off shoes, leaving them in their designated spot just outside the door from the house to the garage
    2. Range clothes go directly into the washer
    3. I go directly into the shower, unless my wife was at the range with me, in which case she gets to shower first while I wait

User Tag List