Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA, sixgun style

Those poppers were at 38 paces and Steph took the least amount of shots in our squad. She did great all around as well.

Iirc I've only shot an auto 2-3 times in the last year. Felt weird. Bumbled the grip safety once and just so happened to have it recorded

Can You Count?

Poppers at 35-40 yards are a challenge, well done with the round gun Stephanie!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Those poppers were at 38 paces and Steph took the least amount of shots in our squad. She did great all around as well.
    Thanks, but looking at my scores, I suck. Among other things, I need to stop focusing after each stage on retrieving my speedloaders and instead, follow the RO as he scores the targets. On the last stage, I got flustered and kept losing my internal round counter.

When there are three targets and four rounds, I double-tap the first two and then reload. That's a mistake of technique permitted by shooting at cardboard targets. What I should do is follow boardinghouse rules- everyone gets firsts before anyone gets seconds.

You, on the other hand, did well. You placed pretty high for someone who hadn't shot that gun for a long time.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 09-23-2019 at 07:34 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    What I should do is follow boardinghouse rules- everyone gets firsts before anyone gets seconds.
    Having shot a lot of USPSA with a six round gun, I'd actually recommend a different strategy to deal with three targets and four in the gun.

Let's assume we have one 4 target array followed by a 3 target array, that's a total of 14 rounds. I'll engage the first three targets in array 1 with two shots each, and perform a static reload and then engage the last target with two rounds. Now I've got four in the gun. I'm going to dump those four on the deck and reload to a full gun on my way to that three target array, and engage it with six rounds right there.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Having shot a lot of USPSA with a six round gun, I'd actually recommend a different strategy to deal with three targets and four in the gun.

Let's assume we have one 4 target array followed by a 3 target array, that's a total of 14 rounds. I'll engage the first three targets in array 1 with two shots each, and perform a static reload and then engage the last target with two rounds. Now I've got four in the gun. I'm going to dump those four on the deck and reload to a full gun on my way to that three target array, and engage it with six rounds right there.
    As far as I know from shooting a lot of Production and watching a decent number of people shoot Revolver, jetfire's strategy is 100% correct. Basically, if you're moving between arrays and your gun isn't full, making it full while you're moving is usually a very good idea.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post

I'd have to ask to shoot every stage last. I already slow things up by taking longer than every other shooter; I'd be delaying things more by picking up the unfired rounds.

Maybe it's wrong to worry about that?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

And all this time, I thought that my eight-round revolvers were for carrying at places like Wal-Mart. (S&W 327 Snub-Gun, Ruger Super GP100.)

Actually, I have been avoiding Wal-Marts for some time, but there are Wal-Marts next to a couple of places I do go.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-24-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I'd have to ask to shoot every stage last. I already slow things up by taking longer than every other shooter; I'd be delaying things more by picking up the unfired rounds.

It happens less than you'd think. If you take a typical 32 round stage, it usually ends up with 4 arrays of 8 shots. Since the gun holds six I'm going to be doing static loads all over the place, right? If I can break the stage down to 4 sets of 8 shots, my shots reload cadence looks like this:

array 1: shoot 4, reload shoot 2, don't reload on the move
    array 2: shoot 4, reload shoot 4, don't reload on the move
    array 3: shoot 2, reload shoot 6, reload on the move
    array 4: shoot 6, reload shoot 2, unload and show clear.

Again, that's IF and only if your stage breakdown looks like 4 arrays of 8 shots. Any time there's an 8 shot array I know I'm going to have to do a static reload, so I build that into my stage plan like above. If there's a six shot array, regardless of how many shots I've fired on the previous array, I'm going to dump what's in my gun and arrive in that array with all six so I can eliminate a static reload.

There's a video on pg 1 of me dumping 2 rounds to reload for 3 targets.

The only problem I have with doing it is sometimes I very nearly run out of ammo.

I'd be delaying things more by picking up the unfired rounds.

Get your competition revolver cut for moon clips and it'll be no different than Production and Single Stack shooters picking up mags after a run.

User Tag List