Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NRA Shows Off Colt Clapp 9mm Commander

I actually like the small safety, it's my favorite safety for 1911 pistols. I don't understand anyone having a problem with it. It doesn't beat me up, it stays engaged even in my leather holster. I have a 45 Wiley Clapp Commander and it's a great pistol. Last year I bought a DW Valkyrie Commander in 9 mm, it's fine to, trying to get used to the extended safety on it, it's slimmer than others I've tried but the jury is still out on it.
    Last edited by Pistol Pete 10; 08-18-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    Get rid of that silly tiny safety and do an actual useable safety and they would be on to something.
    Easy to swap out if desired assuming one knows how to fit a thumb safety. I sure as heck wouldn't avoid a Wiley Clapp model just because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Easy to swap out if desired assuming one knows how to fit a thumb safety. I sure as heck wouldn't avoid a Wiley Clapp model just because of that.
    Sure, but it is silly that this gun doesn't come with a larger safety as standard. It just makes me shake my head that Colt always "almost" gets it right. It's not like there's some mystery on what folks want in a standard 1911 nowadays, e.g. dovetail sights, beavertail, extended safety, front strap treatment like checkering.

Some folks like the small safety, but let's be honest that they're the minority.

Somebody at Colt should have sat Wiley down and said "Hey, we really like this package but we're gonna overrule you and put a useable extended safety on this gun because that is what 99.9% of our customers want."
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 08-18-2019 at 10:55 PM.

Site Supporter
    "it allows me to suck, but at a much higher level."

that's a goal we can all strive for

It’s not tough to get a thumb safety replaced on a 1911, but the tiny safety on the Clapp is a curious thing. I have a bullseye Kart conversion of an ACE that stylistically seems to date from the 60s-70s. I actually find it only very slightly less ergonomic than, for example, the larger-but-not-extended thumb safety of the original Demta Elite.

I’d still prefer a lever with a modern shape. I’ve got a narrow Ed Brown, but I haven’t gotten it installed yet because I go back and forth with myself if it would cost me style points.

I’d sure swap it out on a serious gun, though. I wonder what you have to do to convince Colt to make guns with the the more classic vertical, close-set serrations?
    Last edited by Bergeron; 08-19-2019 at 12:34 AM.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I wonder what you have to do to convince Colt to make guns with the the more classic vertical, close-set serrations?
    The guns in the traditional product line still have those serrations as does the Special Combat Government. The traditional serrations look nice on those guns, but the wider serrations Colt uses on most of their pistols now is probably more in keeping with current design trends in the industry.

Yes, you’re right, I should have written make *more* guns with vertical slide serrations.

I really don’t want to be too nit-picky, because Colts have a reputation for quality small parts, 9mm Commanders in both steel and aluminum variants are desirable defensive pistols, and Pete Single is a fantastic choice in checkering. These guns do have a lot going for them, but sometimes I wonder if Colt really understands what differentiates them from the rest of the 1911 market.

If I want a Colt, I’m looking for style, history, and class. Consider the various WWI and WWII repos. The Clapp Commander is very pretty, but would be even prettier if those angled slide serrations lined up with the grips, and even a step better if they were vertical. The pricing on older guns seems to bear that out.

I’ve been into Delta Elites, and still have one. I don’t get why there have been the changes in the slide roll marks or the serrations.

Anyway, I don’t want to make too much of a fuss, and the Clapp guns are neat. I keep wondering about a Lightweight Commander in 9mm, and it’s cool when people have positive experiences with theirs.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Yes, you’re right, I should have written make *more* guns with vertical slide serrations.

I really don’t want to be too nit-picky, because Colts have a reputation for quality small parts, 9mm Commanders in both steel and aluminum variants are desirable defensive pistols, and Pete Single is a fantastic choice in checkering. These guns do have a lot going for them, but sometimes I wonder if Colt really understands what differentiates them from the rest of the 1911 market.

If I want a Colt, I’m looking for style, history, and class. Consider the various WWI and WWII repos. The Clapp Commander is very pretty, but would be even prettier if those angled slide serrations lined up with the grips, and even a step better if they were vertical. The pricing on older guns seems to bear that out.

I’ve been into Delta Elites, and still have one. I don’t get why there have been the changes in the slide roll marks or the serrations.

Anyway, I don’t want to make too much of a fuss, and the Clapp guns are neat. I keep wondering about a Lightweight Commander in 9mm, and it’s cool when people have positive experiences with theirs.
    I also prefer the vertical serrations but the angle ones are derived from the Gold Cup - a certain generation of buyers think them superior.

Pete single checkering is great but as have to disagree on Colt small parts, at least in the modern era. A broken slide stop pin in my CW Govt and five months to get it fixed says otherwise.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I also prefer the vertical serrations but the angle ones are derived from the Gold Cup - a certain generation of buyers think them superior.

Pete single checkering is great but as have to disagree on Colt small parts, at least in the modern era. A broken slide stop pin in my CW Govt and five months to get it fixed says otherwise.
    Most of Colt's parts are of high quality, and they use less cast/MIM parts than some other manufacturers. But if you want a Colt with all forged and tool steel parts you have to step up to a Custom Shop gun. Score one for Dan Wesson in that regard.

A big problem is Colt's customer service dept. moves with glacial speed. Not the way to run a company.

I'm still happy with my Colt products, but I seem to be lucky. I've sent exactly one pistol back to Colt, and it was back when Brent T. was still running the Custom Shop and he moved it along for me.

User Tag List