Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NPE J-Frame Size Revolvers - Let's Talk Quality Options

Hammertime
    So, for the 340PD folks here: Fiber optic or painted front sight?

For me the Fiber seems an anachronism on a small revolver, but I generally like them on other guns. The painted front sight seems to go with a revolver's durability.

Lots of good stuff here guys, we had the chance yesterday to drop by the LGS to handle some J-Frames. Surprisingly, my friend was not gravitating at all in the J-frames but was most comfortable with Glock 42/43 and other similar sized pistols, did not get a chance to handle Beretta APX Carry or SIG P365 sadly.

This is not a true NPE in the strict sense, where you're immediately terminated though company policy does forbid it I do not sense this outcome necessarily given certain specifics of the situation. That being said, there are fears over if that was to happen how would that affect getting a future job with that history.

That being said, it is a very touchy feely environment where there is lots of contact that could be a problem (at least having the discomfort of dealing with somebody bumping into hard metal where it's not expected. I thought of some potential explanations but none seemed particularly well received

That being the case, Glock 42 or similar seems to my thinking anyways to be a good compromise between firepower/shootability and deep concealment in something along the lines of Thunderwear or a belly band carried at around 12:00. Honestly, I think anything 9mm or .38 would be a far better choice but something is better than nothing.
    Last edited by Thy.Will.Be.Done; 08-19-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Site Supporter
    When I carry in a work NPE environment, I use an LCP Custom or Kahr CM9 in an Aholster front pocket holster. For most clients, I can wear cargo pants with deeper pockets so chose the CM9 as I prefer to have a 9mm over a .380 ACP. For one client, I have to wear a specific color/model of slacks and the CM9 doesn't fit, but the LCP works.

For real NPE, I recommend the Ruger LCP or similar micro 380. It's not a "gun fighting" pistol, but should be sufficient to handle immediate close range threats and allow the user to break contact to get to safety. Round guns in the pocket are cool, but they're bulky, and noticeable when seated. An LCP is small, flat and light, really disappears in the pocket, and can be passed off as a wallet or thick cell phone with little effort.

Red ramp front sight 340PD

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    So, for the 340PD folks here: Fiber optic or painted front sight?

For me the Fiber seems an anachronism on a small revolver, but I generally like them on other guns. The painted front sight seems to go with a revolver's durability.
    My S&W 340PD came with the factory installed red ramp front sight. The red plastic part is dovetailed into the sight ramp.

Site Supporter
    It there is even a question about the possibility of getting caught and/or consequences thereof, then smaller and more concealable is better. Nothing wrong with choosing a Glock 42.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    ...That being said, it is a very touchy feely environment where there is lots of contact that could be a problem (at least having the discomfort of dealing with somebody bumping into hard metal where it's not expected...
    That's another plus for a snubbie in a belly band, IME; only the grip itself rides above the belt line and you almost have to work at it to get a j-frame to print. In years past, I ran a G26 and then a G43 in a belly band with a trigger guard holster riveted in it and there's a whole lot more of the semiauto above the belt.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I had an LCP Custom. I eventually realized that the infections I got by the nail bed of my trigger finger (bad ones) were a result of tissue damage done by range sessions with the LCP of less than 50 rounds. I'd typically do 18-30 rounds, maybe less, before a longer session with a full-size 9mm. I'm pretty sure the most I ever shot in one session with the LCP was 36 rounds. I have big hands and, while I could clamp it tight enough to hit with it, I couldn't clamp it tight enough to keep it from flipping and hammering the side of my trigger finger hard enough to do more damage than I realized at the time.

I'm stepping into J frames cautiously and making sure the grips are big enough.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

For “hard” NPE that’s the one where being made costs you a lot:

Scandium J-Frame with TI cylinder > Scandium J-frame w/steel cylinder > Airweight J with TI cylinder > Airweight J steel cylinder > Steel j.

I myself have never used anything heavier than a 642.

It may or may not be obvious, but non-rubber boot grips rule the roost, for reducing printing. The CTC LG-105 isn’t sticky enough to hold onto clothing and is very small. It’s my go to.

A J-frame loaded with .38 Wadcutters will do. If you are still gunshy after shooting it, consider loading .38 S&W LRNs. From a 2” gun it’ll be moving just a hair over 600 fps for a 145-grain pill. If that is too much recoil - then trade it for a 43C.

I would go a 43C or a pair of them. At 11oz, you can carry two of them potentially. With the low weight, it should be easy to stash them away in different spots

If you do a pair:
    1. you get 16 shots at approx 22oz of carry weight
    2. you have a gun/back-up gun NY reload. If one runs dry or has a catastrophic failure, you are still ok.
    3. you get ultra low recoil for the weight, allowing for solid follow-up accuracy.

There are 22LR ammo options that get 15 inches of penetration.

Really, to me that seems like a solid option. Get some wolff springs, polish it up and you can get a decent trigger and still have reliable ignition.

Extra bonus, you can practice the hell out of it cheaply and without pain.
    Last edited by Speederlander; 08-20-2019 at 12:33 AM.

User Tag List