Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NPE J-Frame Size Revolvers - Let's Talk Quality Options

NPE J-Frame Size Revolvers - Let's Talk Quality Options

I have a friend who is looking at these for a possible EDC in a non-permissive environment (work). I have little knowledge of revolvers as I've pretty much turned a blind eye and a nose up towards revolvers and fell into the 'revolvers are obsolete' category until Dagga Boy's podcast.

That being said, I've been doing some reading on the forum to try and gain some intel on these type weapons. Looking currently between Smith & Wesson 642 PRO (No-Lock) and Ruger LCR in .357 or .38 Special +P. Am I overlooking any other solid options that will be reliable, durable and shootable?

Given the popularity that older Pre-Lock Smith & Wesson revolvers have gained lately at resale venues, is this a product of mainly just the fact that people want the Pre-Lock design or is there some perceived quality issues that is driving the market based on current production issues with Smith & Wesson?

For true "get-fired-if-made NPE," as small and light as possible in a belly band or smart or something is the order of the day. Looking at an S&W 340; PD no-lock would be best. JMO. The LCR advantage lies in the sights and cushy grip--which may not be an asset, unless your friend is a bigger dude. JMO, OMMV, etc.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Pretty sure I've posted this before: Revolver noob last year, got sucked into the J-frame/LCR threads. Felt/held/shot a could J frames (steel, scandium, etc.). Was unimpressed with overall quality (remember, I don't know what I don't know), vis: "Feel" as in grinding or scratchiness as the trigger was pressed, overall fit and finish of multiple samples I held in the shop. But hoo boy did they look good.

On the advice of others much smarter than me, I actually looked at an LCR. After pondering the looks, I was thinking of my mother's favorite ugly baby joke (*), and I decided what the hell, I'll one in .357, cause, you know, recoil and all. Wow. Press was easy, and smooth, not light obviously (11 lbs?) and the wadcutters went where I aimed. Carried it for a while in various environments in a Desantis Nemesis.

Fast forward to this year, I put the .357 away, and bought a LCR model 5401 in .38 (same Wadcutters). Also a Novak Tritium Big Dot sight. And an Aholster kydex holster. The whole package is 17.1 oz, loaded, saving me just over 4 oz from the .357 model.

The .38 seems to shoot well enough with Federal Gold Medal Match Wadcutters.

Attachment 41412

Rich

* "That baby is so ugly, the doctor slapped the mother!". (My mom (RIP) was an ob-gyn nurse for many years.)
    Last edited by RJ; 08-17-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    For true "get-fired-if-made NPE," as small and light as possible in a belly band or smart or something is the order of the day. Looking at an S&W 340; PD no-lock would be best. JMO. The LCR advantage lies in the sights and cushy grip--which may not be an asset, unless your friend is a bigger dude. JMO, OMMV, etc.
    Agreed. The 340 PD is the best concealment as the ultimate priority/always have a gun on you no matter what option I’ve tried. It’s okay to shoot with 38 wadcutters, and putting a box of regular 38 special ammo in a range visit is doable. Much more than that though and I’d want a different gun to train with.

M&P 340 is a great option too. I like the sights better, but in the pocket of dress slacks or gym shorts, the weight savings of the PD is actually noticeable to me. Personally, I’d recommend paying the premium for the 340 for the sights over the 642.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    On the advice of others much smarter than me, I actually looked at an LCR...)

Rich, talk to me about how that big-ass dot fits within the rear notch, if you would. I am down to deciding between an XS and that Novak. The XS site states that they couldn't make their "big dot" work with the LCR rear, so they only offer the "standard" dot (.140). What's the picture like with that Novak? It clearly works for you, and even better, shoots to POA (early LCRs were just terrible in that regard... I would have had one years ago if the first ones weren't something like 8" off at 7).

Thanks for the input; that's the last piece of my personal LCR puzzle before the thing goes to work for me.

PS:

Lady gets on this downtown bus, holding an incredibly ugly baby. Driver says "damn, that is one ugly baby!"

Lady sits down at the back of the bus, visibly upset and angry.

"you OK, miss?" asks the guy on the seat next to her

"That bus driver just said something so insulting and inappropriate; I'm so angry!"

"Lady, that is no way for a public servant to act, you need to tell him how you feel, and to knock it off..."

"You know what, you are right--I think I'm going back up there and I'll give him a talking to!"

"There you go, that's the spirit. Here, let me hold your monkey for you..."
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 08-17-2019 at 01:38 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Rich, talk to me about how that big-ass dot fits within the rear notch, if you would. I am down to deciding between an XS and that Novak. The XS site states that they couldn't make their "big dot" work with the LCR rear, so they only offer the "standard" dot (.140). What's the picture like with that Novak? It clearly works for you, and even better, shoots to POA (early LCRs were just terrible in that regard... I would have had one years ago if the first ones weren't something like 8" off at 7).

Thanks for the input; that's the last piece of my personal LCR puzzle before the thing goes to work for me.

PS:

Lady gets on this downtown bus, holding an incredibly ugly baby. Driver says "damn, that is one ugly baby!"

Lady sits down at the back of the bus, visibly upset and angry.

"you OK, miss?" asks the guy on the seat next to her

"That bus driver just said something so insulting and inappropriate; I'm so angry!"

"Lady, that is no way for a public servant to act, you need to tell him how you feel, and to knock it off..."

"You know what, you are right--I think I'm going back up there and I'll give him a talking to!"

"There you go, that's the spirit. Here, let me hold your monkey for you..."
    Whelp kinda hard to say. I think the name ‘Mega Dot’ seems a misnomer. It appears to fit in the rear sight ok to me?

Aside from being White, and not orange, the Novak front sight is not a million miles away from the sight picture of my Glock 19.5 with the AmeriGlo pro glo 0.185”.

Does that help? I can take more pics but I suck at close up with a dang iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RJ; 08-17-2019 at 01:54 PM. Reason: KNt tiep

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Does that help? I can take more pics but I suck at close up with a dang iPhone.

That *totally* helps. No need for more pics; those Q&D shots tell 100% of the story. Clearly, the Novak works just fine, and there’s no arguing with the POI with those Federal match 148s.

Sold, thanks a ton for the effort and speedy reply.

Well shoot I was curious.

Novak Mega Dot (https://www.novaksights.com/Detail.a...00769&CAT=9511 ) on left, AmeriGlo Pro Glo 0.185” front (https://ameriglo.com/collections/glo...tritium-fronts) on a Glock 19.5 on the right.

These sights seem to be a ok match for my preferred ‘put dot on top of target and press the trigger’ sight picture.
    Last edited by RJ; 08-17-2019 at 02:10 PM.

@Thy.Will.Be.Done I would shy away from the 642. The finish will not hold up. I shredded through mine in about 3 weeks. I would stick to the 442 if I were to do it all over again to which I wouldn't. I would opt for the M&P 340 or the 340 PD as suggested by others. If your friend must go the least expensive route. CDNN Sports has the 442 PC tuned for $399. (See here https://www.cdnnsports.com/smith-wes...l#.XVhc9S2ZP-Y). If you can find a place to do the transfer for $25 he's into it pretty cheap. The trigger job is pretty damn good and is the only reason the 642 hasn't been sold yet. The route I went this time around is the M&P 340's with an APEX kit. They are great guns so long as you don't get one with a bent extractor rod from the factory, don't get me started on QC right now or CS. Though I've had good experience in the past recently I dealt with several people who loathe their jobs at S&W and possibly just life in general.

Here is what I was talking about in regards to finish. 340 holds up well as I run with it, do yard work and am outside in hot and humid Carolina weather. 642 not so much.

Attachment 41416
    Attachment 41415

Site Supporter
    While I cannot comment specifically on the choice between S&W and Ruger for this specific application, I will completely agree with others who pointed out that small and light are of primary importance. Keep in mind that the same people will be seen every day, 50+ hours per week. If anything is off, it will be noticed, particularly by the women in the office.

Selection of pants will be a big help. Relaxed fit and/or pleated go a long way towards good concealment.

Have a plan for securing the gun if the job requires going anyplace where the gun is not permitted, and to be able to quickly and easily transfer the gun between the secure location and however it is being carried.

The pocket holster selection goes a long way towards good concealment, and I will add an endorsement of the Aholster, with the caveat that the hook near the rear sight should be rounded, and some Moleskin wrapped around this hook, to protect the pocket.

Also consider whether a revolver is the optimal choice. Some will claim that the shape of a revolver creates less of a gun-like bulge in a pocket than a semiauto, and in some cases this may be correct, but I have not personally experienced it. Consider whether a semiauto such as a Sig P365, Glock 43, S&W Shield, Ruger LCP, or Kel-Tec P3AT might be a good choice.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 08-17-2019 at 03:24 PM.

User Tag List