Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NPE J-Frame Size Revolvers - Let's Talk Quality Options

OK, after pondering over the posters question and realizing that I too went through this a month or so back, the below pic is what I came up with and have been carrying it EVERDAY off duty ever since. I pondered over spending almost 900 bucks on a J frame revolver that only saves me 3 ounces compared to the 442/642 guns that I already have. I am a jogger and wanted something that was as light as possible and fit in my extremely small fanny pack for this application and after some long long nights of thinking if it was worth it, I caved and bought a 340PD. I have had it a month and have shot only 45 rounds out of it so far in 1 range session. I am VERY pleased with my decision now that I have it and am happy that it fits my application for everything I wanted it for. I carry appendix off duty and in the fanny pack when I run so this J frame fits for me (holster in pic is a pocket holster). I also have added the black triangle midnight creeper as a "get off me tool" to round out the equipment I carry and believe me it is the lightest you will find period unless you just carries nothing. I know that this gun will work when and IF I ever need it!.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Eagle1*; 08-18-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Ditto on 340PD

I have a 340PD as well. I like the fact that it saves 2-3 ounces.....which is a personal decision to weigh the cost/benefit of such a purchase. I shoot Winchester Ranger 38 special +P 130 grain JHP. Just for fun I tried an old box of Winchester Silvertip 145 grain 357 magnum. The recoil was brutal. I then shot Speer Gold Dot 135 grain 357 magnum. It still kicked, but I would describe that round as a medium load as far as recoil goes.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    With phones becoming larger I find it odd that pockets are getting smaller.
    True, but, holsters for these big phones are now “a thing,” so, when our guns bulge against cover garments, unless there is a clearly gun-ish-looking shape, it is likely to be assumed that a belt-level bulge is caused by a large mobile phone/gadget holster. (A G42 auto might look more phone-ish, than a J-snub, and is a significant reason I have worked a G42 into my summer ensemble.) Of course, the problem with this, in an NPE, is that one might, then, need to sort-out how to deflect questions about one’s mobile gadget.

Edited to add: To keep this post J-relevant, a G42 is a nice “tactical reload” when carrying a J-snub.
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-18-2019 at 01:43 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Since stepping out of policing, I have been in an NPE environment everyday at work. For me (YMMV), pocket carry works best. Problem with untucked shirts, the foundation of my wardrobe, you're made when someone asks you to reach something in a high shelf.

If pocket carry is your solution, then lightweight is goal. Otherwise you're constantly adjusting your pants, which tends to make coworkers thing you are a bit odd. The other factor to consider is why carry in an NPE environment. For me, it is a get off me gun. I'm not arresting, controlling, or treating. I just want my adversary off/away from me. I use singular, because in past confrontations everyone got the message after the first recipient.

My favorite revolver, the M&P 340 is better AIWB. It is light, but not lightest possible. I do carry it pocket, but usually as back-up to a 92. Also, I do not carry a reload. For me, strong side pocket carry require reloads in a speed strip behind pocket holster. This creates unnecessary outward lumping (like having pleats, but without the pleats). I also used small pistols from Beretta, Browning, and Seecamp in .22, .25, .32, and .380. For me, revolvers have better shoot-ability.

With my use case in mind, I have good success with the S&W 43C. Eight rounds of .22 in a light, compact form factor, for those get off of me moments.

I actually carry a 640 or a 640 pro in my pocket holster. The weight doesn't bother me and when I practice shooting it makes it much more comfortable to shoot. I started doing this back when the S&W 640 was released in the early 1990s. My other front side pocket has my wallet, keys, a pen, etc. so the weight is balanced out.

As I said, the only time it is an issue is if you are in a NPE like a workplace where the same people see you every day. In that case I carry the smaller and flatter Kahr PM-9. I think I bought my first PM-9 in the early 2000s and it has served me well.

I carry a 43c stoked with Stingers. I rotate the ammo regularly and stay proficient with the gun. It's lighter than most of the .38/.357 options and has a big dot for those who are challenged by the typical J frame sights. My views of this gun have changed significantly since I got it.

Here's my initial thoughts:

https://wheeler686.blogspot.com/2017/01/s-43c.html

...and my thoughts and experiences two years later:

https://wheeler686.blogspot.com/2019...ars-later.html
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I finally shopped the local Duluth store yesterday when I happened to be in that part of town. Found the Firehose Flex pants have very deep pockets - I get why @Dagga Boy wears them every day for his snubbie ensemble. Haven't had time yet, but will definitely be messing with pocket carry and these pants. The 340 will be far below the openings. Additionally, a lot of the front pocket is behind the cargo pocket, so there's a built-in anti-printing function. Even the non-cargo pants have deeper than typical front pockets, and may work in a "Dockers" type environment.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Not exactly revolver related, but in regards to an npe: I’m no fashion expert, but anybody these days who buys and wears pleated pants will raise an eyebrow unless they haven’t updated their wardrobe since the early nineties and wore them previously.

I’ll go unarmed before I put on pants with pleats, but that’s just me.
    Traditional suit makers still offer pleated options. Hickey Freeman's "A fit" comes with pleated trousers.

I didn't see what the dress code or amount/type of activity for the individual in question was. When I worked IT I used a Smart Carry. It's a design with a lot of limits, but it does conceal very well and if anyone does notice a bulge they aren't terribly likely to bring it up. Like everything else, body shape, clothing, and activities may change the answer as to what works best.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    I spent about 10 years carrying daily in various NPE’s. During most of that time, a pocket carried North American Arms .380 or a Kel-Tec .32 or .380, depending on what was available at the time, was my choice. Pants were often Dockers, but given the anti-gun leanings of Levi-Strauss, I now prefer Eddie Bauer. Ordering my normal size in pleated, relaxed fit works very well.

Given the small bulk of a P365 in an Aholster, I would give serious thought to that combination if I had to work for someone else today, perhaps with about 4 sheets of copy paper folded up into an anti-print panel over the holster. I do presently meet with clients using that combination.

If that is too bulky, a Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT is about as small and light as a reasonable level of protection can get, and would make a very good choice given the risks to be balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    On the pleated pants, since I’ve never weighed more than 165 at 5’11” I can’t find a pair that doesn’t look like I’m wearing someone else’s clothes. I’ll admit that I let my personal hate for pleats bias my post and I do still hate them.

But, for the folks that might like or want to try them I found this article that seems to have good advice on the subject of pleats.

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/sh...pleated-pants/

User Tag List