Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone become a dad later life?

39 when our (now 2 year old) twin girls were born.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    We were 35 when our oldest was born. Our second was 3 years later.
    I've always thought that the timing was perfect.

Do watch out for the Dad Bod...

Congratulations!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

On our next birthdays, I'll be 51, my wife will be 35 and our son will be 3...only thing that worries me is making sure I live to at least 80 so that he's out of his 20's when I go. And I say avoid dad bod whether you've progeny or not!

We were 32/33 when we took our newborn son home (adoption). Baby plus wife's medical issues led to dad bod quickly. Finally fixed that and now I'm in the best shape of my life.

Honestly I don't know if we would have been really ready for a kid before that age.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Wow, seems like late 30s is more common than I thought.

I quit the gym this year due to work but I pay attention to what I eat to fend off the dad bod and I ride bikes with my other kids. I may hit some weights this winter again.

Thanks everyone for responding!

I do not, but have a brother in law who started his second family in his late 50s. He's 73 with a 50 year old wife, and a 16 & 14 year old daughter. They are both former academics, and he runs a medical IT & programming section at an Anchorage hospital.
    I don't know how he does it, but he's a quietly remarkable man. And yeah, no dad bod yet, either. His cruise speed on a road bicycle is consistently faster than mine.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Congrats!
    35 when my now 12 year old daughter was born, wife is a year younger. We delayed a few years because I was skittish about kids, and fertility issues cost us a few more. No real regrets, younger me would have been a shit father, and as others have said it's good motivation to stay in shape. I want to be around and in good enough health to maybe enjoy some grandkids one day.

For some contrast, my BIL is a few years older than me (49 I think} and has 7 kids. 32 and 28 year old daughters from his first marriage, 19, 14, 11 and twin 5 year old boys with his current wife. It's a circus but they're all good kids.

And my daughter's BFFs mom is about 28 or 29. So she's 17 years older than her kid, and we're about 17 years older than her. It's weird to be around them and think that I could have a fully grown child at my age, much less be a grandfather already [emoji41]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NickA; 08-17-2019 at 08:39 AM.

Congratulations! Much wisdom here.

Edit: figured I would have been too young to post but figured wrong. 34 when my first showed up, wasnt ready for kids but then couldnt come soon enough after I made the switch in my head.

Totally let the dad bod take over. Lot of stuff going on right now but really its just excuses, and choosing to do something else I would rather do with my time, working on getting the gumption to start back up. Duke is an inspiration.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Grey; 08-17-2019 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Wow, seems like late 30s is more common than I thought.

I quit the gym this year due to work but I pay attention to what I eat to fend off the dad bod and I ride bikes with my other kids. I may hit some weights this winter again.

Thanks everyone for responding!
    Forgive the initial rudeness that the following will indicated. I promise I mean well - especially as a dude who was 60lbs overweight at one point

But. Unless you’re working 120 hours a week or your job is an mma fighter/fire trench digger or some other total body inclusive labor then “quitting the gym because work” is just an excuse - and poor one at that.

Again. I don’t at all mean to seem as rude as I seem.

You don’t have to join a commercial gym - in fact that’s mostly a step backwards for a lot of folk.

Pull up bar (tree, gate, door frame) sprints, burpees. Free And effective in little time.

If we can’t save ourselves we can’t save anyone. Not eating trash is a good addition - but it won’t make you stronger.

Fitness is just you against you. So don’t go backward

All respect - these are things I tell myself daily
    Last edited by Duke; 08-17-2019 at 09:15 AM.

I was 26 and 28 when my girls were born. My wife was a year older. By contemporary standards, we were young parents. The other parents we knew were usually 5-10 years older than us. There were also a couple of dads on their second marriage: they might be in the early 50s, but their second wife was a 20 something and closer to our age.

The advantages to having kids young is the energy you have. When I was in my 30s and 40s, I never stopped moving. Kid and family activities occupied most of my time. There were times when I was worn out and dreaded having to go to yet another swim meet on a hot July weeknight evening, knowing that I had to get up and go to work the next day, but I also knew to enjoy those days as much as possible. Whatever free time I had was spent fixing something around the house. I was also doing a lot of triathlons and ultra running, and would squeeze in training whenever I could, and did some crazy workouts just to fit them in. When I look back at those days, I can't imagine how I pulled it all off. I *never* had problems falling asleep.

The disadvantages were that I had no idea what I was doing as a parent. I was still in grad school when my older daughter was born and didn't have much life experience, and I was still working on my maturity. Fortunately, I was smart enough to do what my wife told me to do. The other disadvantage was that we didn't have a lot of money. Some times there was more month left at the end of the money. We lived frugally, but really, my kids didn't want for anything.

But being a parent when you're young or when you're old, the most important thing I learned from my wife was: "don't worry: this will all work out in the end."

User Tag List