Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone become a dad later life?

I was 25 when my eldest was born, and 37 (three weeks before my 38th) when our youngest (boy-girl twins) were born. For me, the biggest issue is financial, I have mandatory retirement the year the twins are freshmen in college - not a great solution.

Physically, I haven't found any issues, though I thought it might have been a problem.

My friend's wife is talking about adopting - he's 50, she's in her mid-40s. That might be a BIT too long in the tooth for my tastes, but the right family can make it all work.

Have fun and enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I wouldn't say we had kids late in life compared to some in this thread, but we had Thing 1 when I was 30 and Thing 2 when I was 35. That was late to me because my parents were in their very early 20s when I was born (oops!). My dad was 40 when I was going off to college. I'm 46 now, so had I started when they did, my kid(s) would be out of college and in the workforce by now.

If I could do it again, I think I'd have kids even earlier (didn't get married till my late 20s). If I started sooner, and had a bigger house and more money, I'd have more kids too. I enjoy being a parent and don't regret a bit of it.

Chris
    Living in NoVA I feel your financial pain. If I lived somehwere cheaper with my income I would have more. Kids are awesome.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

First, congrats!

My father was 40 when I was born. And compared to the dad's of other kids my age, I think I got the better end of the deal. My dad was more mature, confident, and established as a professional and comfortable with himself. He has said many times that the two best things to happen to him, meeting and marrying my mother and having me. From the perspective of seeing some of my friends and colleagues have kids before turning 30 vs. those who waited until their mid-to-late 30s, the difference is night and day how they handle the stress and the types of parents they are. Almost all of them are better as older adults.

Physically, my dad had no trouble keeping up with me as a kid and it's only now that I'm in my 30s and he's in his 70s, with bone cancer, that he struggles. I wish he had been younger, but only from the perspective of having him around longer these days, not because he was limited as a person.

Man, this thread is timely. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one starting late. I’m 37 and my first is on the way, my *mumblecoughmumble43cough* year old wife is 8 months pregnant at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Man, this thread is timely. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one starting late. I’m 37 and my first is on the way, my *mumblecoughmumble43cough* year old wife is 8 months pregnant at the moment.
    Do they not give the "talk" to dudes in the Air Force?

Dude...you know how baby Berettas are made...this isn't hard for you.

Congrats to all the soon-to-be fathers, your dicks work!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Do they not give the "talk" to dudes in the Air Force?

Dude...you know how baby Berettas are made...this isn't hard for you.

Congrats to all the soon-to-be fathers, your dicks work!
    Lol, this one was planned. We both wanted kids and realized that our ages we needed to uh...get after it as soon as possible. The timing sucks a little because I’m going to miss the birth but that’s part of the bargain when I signed on the line.

Most of the parents of the kids I teach (9 year olds) are in their late 30s and forties. They are more often surprised (I'm 28) that I have two kids, one of them in preschool.

I’m 43 with a 3 y/o son and a 2 y/o daughter... so yeah. There are good points and bad points. I think I have a lot more perspective now, but I wish I had the energy that I did 20 years ago.

My father was 39 when I was born, so I’m sort of walking in his footsteps. I just hope I live longer than he did. That, if anything, is my biggest regret. I wish he could have met his grandchildren and I wish my kids could have known him.
    Last edited by LJP; 08-20-2019 at 07:25 AM.

47 years old wife is 30. I have a daughter that’s 24, and another that will be 4 in a couple months. Never thought about more kids before I married a much younger woman

Quote Originally Posted by JKPirate08 View Post
    47 years old wife is 30. I have a daughter that’s 24, and another that will be 4 in a couple months. Never thought about more kids before I married a much younger woman
    That's quite a spread, JK. Heck, that is probably a topic (large spans of our kids' ages) worthy of a thread of its own.

Like you, I married (at 39) much younger than myself (she was 15 years my junior) but I never thought of kids until 3 years post-retirement when she brought the idea up. Got a wonderful son and daughter out of the whole thing. Chasing after them, playing with them and enjoying my time with them, helping them with their studies and just plain old having fun keeps me young and helps me stay in good physical shape. Had my son and daughter at 43 and 45 respectively, best thing that I ever did. Enjoy the time that you have with that little one; these are precious times.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 08-22-2019 at 09:02 AM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List