Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Remington V3 Tactical

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    Thanks for the update! Was the width of the hand guard what makes it feel foreign? I held one in the store (28"er) and was not a fan of how the forend felt in my hand. I assume I'd get used to it.. Maybe? But my 870, and 1100's I've held fit so much more naturally.

I'm also sticking with the 6+1 because NY law is a complete mess regarding shotgun magazine capacity. It's technically legal after some court victories declared the law unconstitutional, but it's not written down anywhere and most people think they're still illegal. It's a mess.

One thing I'm curious about - does it really hold only 6 shells? Other guns that have the magazine tube flush with an 18.5" barrel can hold 7 (Beretta 1301 for example) so I'm confused what would cause the v3 to have less room in there.
    The hand guard felt fine and the width was not bad at all. For me it was the controls. I am used to to the 870 and running something new was like driving a rental car. I had to second guess what I was doing, it didn't feel natural.

I just went and tried to stick 7 (2-3/4") shells in it, 6 in fully, #7 half way and that's it. So, yes it truly is 6 rounds in the mag only. My 870 has a mag extension and is the same barrel length and that is also 6 only. (Maybe a Remington thing)

Anyone have a V3 with a folding brace yet?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I am veering out of my lane here, but I *think* ATF pretty much put the kiabash on folding braces with the last “ruling” that the OAL of a braced firearm will be determined when folded. This, contrary to a prior directive that they be measured open/extended. Needs on OAL of 26”? This most recent ruling caused at least one purveyor of SG braces to discontinue offering folding brace set-up for shotguns. I could be wrong about all this. ATF rules screw with my head.

Withdrawn
    Last edited by Doug; 03-01-2020 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    I am veering out of my lane here, but I *think* ATF pretty much put the kiabash on folding braces with the last “ruling” that the OAL of a braced firearm will be determined when folded. This, contrary to a prior directive that they be measured open/extended. Needs on OAL of 26”? This most recent ruling caused at least one purveyor of SG braces to discontinue offering folding brace set-up for shotguns. I could be wrong about all this. ATF rules screw with my head.
    Is this ruling specific to shotguns?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Is this ruling specific to shotguns?
    No it applies to all the “pistol” firearms based on all the popular long guns. Since the brace isn’t necessary to the function of the firearm it’s considered an accessory and not used in the OAL calculation. The OAL of a standard AR pistol, for example, would start at the muzzle and end at the rear of the receiver extension. The same concept applies for a folding brace. If you have an AR pistol with a Law Folder, for example, the OAL is now measure with the Law in its folded position (tip of the muzzle to rear of the folded Law).

ETA: Since we’re on the topic, I wonder how this rule change works with the length of pull measurement. Several prior ATF letters have mentioned that a length of pull longer than 13.5” was one of the factors that would make your pistol an SBR. Since the brace is no longer part of the OAL measurement, does it also no longer count for measuring length of pull?

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    No it applies to all the “pistol” firearms based on all the popular long guns. Since the brace isn’t necessary to the function of the firearm it’s considered an accessory and not used in the OAL calculation. The OAL of a standard AR pistol, for example, would start at the muzzle and end at the rear of the receiver extension. The same concept applies for a folding brace. If you have an AR pistol with a Law Folder, for example, the OAL is now measure with the Law in its folded position (tip of the muzzle to rear of the folded Law).

ETA: Since we’re on the topic, I wonder how this rule change works with the length of pull measurement. Several prior ATF letters have mentioned that a length of pull longer than 13.5” was one of the factors that would make your pistol an SBR. Since the brace is no longer part of the OAL measurement, does it also no longer count for measuring length of pull?
    Are you sure on “pistol” firearms, I understood this was just for “other” firearms? Have a link to a thread?

Are you sure on “pistol” firearms, I understood this was just for “other” firearms? Have a link to a thread?
    Here’s one: thread from 2019
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Here’s one: thread from 2019
    I read this to say it is a problem if you want a vertical fore grip, but not an issue to, for example, put a SB brace on an HK SP5 or AR pistol?

I read this to say it is a problem if you want a vertical fore grip, but not an issue to, for example, put a SB brace on an HK SP5 or AR pistol?
    Right. The measurement rule only matters when there is the potential to turn a “pistol” or “other firearm” into an NFA item. The recent interpretation of how pistols are measured doesn’t prohibit adding a brace at all. I’ll stick to your examples of the HK SP5 and AR pistol. For the HK SP5, since the brace isn’t counted when you measure the overall length of the gun anymore, if you add a vertical foregrip you’ve likely made an SP5 into an AOW because I believe the gun measures less than 26” from the muzzle to the back of the receiver. A Law Folder on an AR pistol means the receiver extension isn’t counted when you measure overall length so you should probably grab a tape measure before you add a vertical foregrip. With a non folding brace, an AR pistol is likely over 26” from muzzle to end of receiver extension unless you’re running a very short barrel so a vertical foregrip should keep the gun as an “other firearm” instead of an AOW.

With the Remington V3, the rule change means that the gun ends up being under 26” when you add a folding brace to it because the shape of the factory grip is what gets the gun, in its factory configuration, past the 26” mark. I’m not sure how a non folding brace would affect the V3 because I’m not familiar enough with it’s measurements or the types of available braces for it.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List