Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Relevance of the Cooper Color Code?

Modern Relevance of the Cooper Color Code?

I'm hoping that we can discuss the Color Code as classically promulgated by Jeff Cooper.

The best YouTube videos that I've seen are these two:

Color Code Video 1

Color Code Video 2

I'm hoping that we can seperate the content of Cooper's presentations from his pedagogy. I love the classroom setting, the use of chalk on a board, and his presentation style, but I want to try to seperate that from the material.

My first exposure to a Cooper book was Principles of Personal Defense, which from my limited knowledge and understanding, does accomplish Cooper's specific goal of being independent of the type of weapons and available technology.

I'm on the "copy machine repair-man" end of the spectrum of shooting and defense enthusiasts, I have no relevant military or police experience, I've never had to fight for my life, but the few times something really serious might have happened, I found the Color Code to be very useful.

Does the modern professional self-defense instructor community find the Color Code to still be relevant? If it's not among the current best practices in mental and emotional framing of the self-defense mindset, what is the most superior technique?
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I still find it valid, although admittedly I have a bias.

It is "a" way to break it down and explain it. I've heard several different presentations on MindSet related to the defensive &/or offensive world over the years, multiple ones from direct students of Cooper - none were verbatim.

Can you add events, thoughts, specifics that resonate better with you? Sure. Should it be at least somewhat tailored to those hearing the presentation? If at all possible, yes. Had an older lady in a pistol class last year who provided me with some solid examples & insights to use that I would never have thought of given my background and experiences. They slid into the framework of Cooper's presentation.

I do not have a bias regarding Cooper.

I find his Color Codes hold up very well, and effectively convey important concepts to students. I also personally use them as a simple framework in my own awareness.

When presented correctly in context, students tend to sit up, engage, and generate great follow-up questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I do not have a bias regarding Cooper.

I find his Color Codes hold up very well, and effectively convey important concepts to students. I also personally use them as a simple framework in my own awareness.

When presented correctly in context, students tend to sit up, engage, and generate great follow-up questions.
    Well said, sir.

Yes, it's still relevant. It isn't new and flashy, but hardly obsolete.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Yes, it's still relevant. It isn't new and flashy, but hardly obsolete.
    In a world of new and flashy, it's good to see an old-school professional.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    In a world of new and flashy, it's good to see an old-school professional.
    We all like new and flashy, it's what drives the consumer market. With the proliferation of firearms "trainers" in the last ten or fifteen years it's become a problem in the field. Too many trainers feel the need to find something that will make them stand out from the crowd. Most of the time this is counterproductive. But to be fair, all too often it does seem to be necessary, given the short attention span of the common consumer/shooter. Eventually, you spend enough time in a particular endeavor and grow old enough, that you realize the basics really don't change. It's all just cyclic with some different shiny bits thrown in here and there. While there have been advances in equipment and technology, the requirements for pulling a pistol and shooting someone in the face haven't really changed for a hundred years.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I appreciate all these really great responses. I haven't had the opportunity to take MUC or MUC-oriented training (yet!), and I've been curious to see if any different or evolved conceptulizations of mental prepardness for defense had been discovered.

While I'd like to think I'm always ready to learn better things, hearing that the Color Code is still very relevant is encouraging.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I found this article illuminating with respect to integrating Cooper's color codes into my life: https://www.breachbangclear.com/reth...rs-color-code/

Col. Cooper's Color Code is absolutely relevant today, as are his Four Rules of Gun Safety.

You can add more colors or more rules but in my opinion, those additions add unnecessary complexity to some fairly simple and straightforward stuff.

User Tag List