Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A pair of Smiths from my father

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I knew a guy who worked there from about 1970-1995. He said in the 70s they would tap the curb with their nightsticks to communicate. He said there was a code they all used and they could just check in or summon help, etc..

I tested there in 1987 and part of the obstacle course required the applicant to dry fire a Model 65 six times with each hand.
    They had transitioned to, I believe, S&W semi-autos by then but were still using some of the 65-2s during training. I seem to recall they still used the revolver for training because it was easier for them dryfire than the new semi-autos. When they issued the 65-2s they initially fired the .357s in them but quickly realized many of the officers couldn't qualify with them, I assume, because of the harsh recoil. It does have smooth, sweet double action trigger pull though. My father said that they used .38s in the 65-2 until his retirement. He didn't carry much on his duty belt back then. Revolver, cuffs, and night stick and little else. I'll have to verify that. I don't believe they even carried speed loaders for the revolver. I think they were using belt loops for the spare rounds. When they went to the semi-autos they did start carrying a spare magazine. The firearms training back then was minimal at best.
    I don't know how an officer can stand upright with all of the stuff they carry today.
    Last edited by baddean; 08-18-2019 at 10:23 PM.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by baddean View Post

I don't know how an officer can stand upright with all of the stuff they carry today.
    Agreed. I started in 89 with a revolver, cuffs, speedloader pouch, baton ring, spray, and a radio pouch. It was a lot simpler then.

Site Supporter
    I'll pass that along. He'll appreciate it.
    I asked him about the things you mentioned and he said that the only radio was the radio in the cruiser. His medical training/kit consisted of radioing to dispatch to send an ambulance. I asked him about what types of equipment they carried in the trunk of the cruiser and he looked at me kinda funny and said "what equipment?".
    A Salute To Your Dad, and Thank You For Your Service Sir.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Very nice set of revolvers and appreciate his hard work! We're in Cincy quite a bit and the police are always on the beat!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The Judicial Marshal (chief bailiff) of where I was in practice was a plainclothes job. One told me that getting into plainclothes and ditching the equipment belt was the best thing that ever happened to his back.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

My early years were spent in a very rural part of Northern KY, so the very first policemen I ever laid eyes on were Cincinnati PD on the street downtown walking a beat when we went to Shilitoes (sp) Department store to shop (circa 1961-64) and to see the model train display in the windows of CG&E. Being a big fan of the westerns on TV and the proud owner of a set of cowboy cap sixguns, my first question to my father about the Cincinnati PD was "why are they only carrying one gun?" since all my western hero's like Roy Rogers and the Cisco Kid had a pair of sixguns on their belt (and of course my cap guns were a left and right pair).

Name:  roy rogers.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  27.7 KB

I will never forget my Dad's answer. He told me the Cincinnati police were such good shots they didn't need two guns.

[QUOTEI will never forget my Dad's answer. He told me the Cincinnati police were such good shots they didn't need two guns.[/QUOTE]

Back in the day they were better shots because they knew that they only had six rounds to work with. They had to make them count. Anecdotally, once they had 15-17 rounds to work with in a semi-auto they got lazy with accuracy. Even today there are accounts of officers emptying a 15-17 round magazine at an assailant and not hitting them. Back in the day of the six shooter that usually didn't happen.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

User Tag List