Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A pair of Smiths from my father

A pair of Smiths from my father

Since there have been a number of threads lately about the older Smiths I thought I would share these two from my father.
    The .38 M&P snubbie was his off-duty gun that he purchased in 1956 when he joined the Cincinnati Police Dept. He purchased it from a long ago closed LGS that sold guns to officers through the dept. Aside from some minor holster wear near the end of the barrel it is in very good condition. We believe that it probably has less than a box of ammo through it other than a few of my .38 reloads. Unfortunately he no longer has the box or papers other than a receipt.
    The 65-2 was his last duty revolver that he carried up to his retirement in 1982. About the time he was retiring the dept. was transitioning to semi-autos and he was allowed to keep this one into retirement. Other than some of my .38 reloads and a few .357 rounds (.357s are brutal to shoot from it) he probably only fired it during quals. He says he never fired a gun on duty in 25 years in the force. One side is stamped C.P.D. below the cylinder.
    We recently learned that at the age of 93 he is the second oldest living retired Cincinnati police officer. I'm hoping that the longevity of my parents and ancestors bodes well for me.

Name:  S&W left side.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  99.9 KB

Name:  S&W right side.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  44.6 KB
    Last edited by baddean; 08-16-2019 at 07:11 PM.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Very nice...thanks for posting

Very cool.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Very cool. Thank you for sharing them.

Fantastic heirlooms to be cherished and passed down for generations.

Congrats to your father for his accomplishment.

-Rainman

Thank you for sharing the nice revolvers, that your Dad carried. Owned models of each as I was a working cop in the 70s and they are solid, reliable weapons. Your father chose wisely!

Beautiful, and with family history.

Please tell you father Thank You.

We sincerely appreciate his years of dedication to his community.

The old guard had it tougher in many ways than today. While we have entered a new era of disrespect and lawlessness, we also have better training, better communication (they had virtually no portable radios for many years)etc. Many of the old guard did their job their entire careers without vests, no medical training, no medical kits, etc.

Again, a sincere thank you to your dad.

LR.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Please tell you father Thank You.

We sincerely appreciate his years of dedication to his community.

The old guard had it tougher in many ways than today. While we have entered a new era of disrespect and lawlessness, we also have better training, better communication (they had virtually no portable radios for many years)etc. Many of the old guard did their job their entire careers without vests, no medical training, no medical kits, etc.

Again, a sincere thank you to your dad.

LR.
    I'll pass that along. He'll appreciate it.
    I asked him about the things you mentioned and he said that the only radio was the radio in the cruiser. His medical training/kit consisted of radioing to dispatch to send an ambulance. I asked him about what types of equipment they carried in the trunk of the cruiser and he looked at me kinda funny and said "what equipment?".
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by baddean View Post
    I'll pass that along. He'll appreciate it.
    I asked him about the things you mentioned and he said that the only radio was the radio in the cruiser. His medical training/kit consisted of radioing to dispatch to send an ambulance. I asked him about what types of equipment they carried in the trunk of the cruiser and he looked at me kinda funny and said "what equipment?".
    I knew a guy who worked there from about 1970-1995. He said in the 70s they would tap the curb with their nightsticks to communicate. He said there was a code they all used and they could just check in or summon help, etc..

I tested there in 1987 and part of the obstacle course required the applicant to dry fire a Model 65 six times with each hand.

User Tag List