Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia USAO Goes for the Throat...

That Krasner guy is probably not going to be leaving the world in any better shape than it was when he came in as an infant. Time will tell, but smart money says total ‘vacation incarnation’ on that dude.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

From Wikipedia, here is a little on the wonderful Mr. Krasner:

In his first week in office, Krasner fired 31 prosecutors from the District Attorney's Office, including both junior and career supervisory staff. Up to one-third of the homicide prosecutors in the office were dismissed, and the total number of those fired represented as many as a 10% reduction in the number of Philadelphia assistant district attorneys.[22][23]

In February 2018, Krasner announced that law enforcement would no longer pursue criminal charges against those caught with marijuana possession.[24] That same month, Krasner instructed prosecutors to stop seeking cash bail for those 'accused of some misdemeanors and nonviolent felonies.[25] Krasner said that it was unfair to keep people in detention simply because they could not afford bail.[25] He also announced that the DA's office had filed a lawsuit against a number of pharmaceutical companies for their role in the city's opioid epidemic.[24] Krasner instructed prosecutors to stop charging sex workers who had fewer than three crime convictions.[26]

In March 2018, it was reported that Krasner's staffers were working on creating a sentence review unit–the first of its kind in the country–to review past cases and sentences, and seek re-sentencing in cases where individuals were given unduly harsh punishments.[27]

Also in March 2018, it was reported that Krasner instructed prosecutors to: "Offer shorter prison sentences in plea deals. Decline certain classes of criminal charges. And explain, on the record, why taxpayers should fork over thousands of dollars per year to incarcerate people."[28] He further stated that: "Fiscal responsibility is a justice issue, and it is an urgent justice issue. A dollar spent on incarceration should be worth it. Otherwise, that dollar may be better spent on addiction treatment, on public education, on policing and on other types of activity that make us all safer."[29]

In April 2018, it was reported that some judges had rejected the reduced sentences which Krasner's prosecutors had sought for juveniles which had previously been sentenced to life in prison.[30]

In June 2018, it was reported that Krasner had requested a comprehensive list of police officers who had lied while on duty, used excessive force, racially profiled, or violated civil rights. According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, "The exercise, unprecedented in scope in recent city history, is designed to help prosecutors flag officers with credibility issues early in a case and possibly prevent their testimony".[31]

On July 15, 2019, Krasner filed a motion in the Pennsylvania Supreme Court to declare the state’s death penalty unconstitutional. Krasner cited high turnover rates, racial disparity, and ineffective counsel among reasons that capital punishment as practiced in Pennsylvania violates the state constitution’s ban on cruel and unusual punishment.[32]

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    From Wikipedia, here is a little on the wonderful Mr. Krasner:

In his first week in office, Krasner fired 31 prosecutors from the District Attorney's Office, including both junior and career supervisory staff. Up to one-third of the homicide prosecutors in the office were dismissed, and the total number of those fired represented as many as a 10% reduction in the number of Philadelphia assistant district attorneys.[22][23]

In February 2018, Krasner announced that law enforcement would no longer pursue criminal charges against those caught with marijuana possession.[24] That same month, Krasner instructed prosecutors to stop seeking cash bail for those 'accused of some misdemeanors and nonviolent felonies.[25] Krasner said that it was unfair to keep people in detention simply because they could not afford bail.[25] He also announced that the DA's office had filed a lawsuit against a number of pharmaceutical companies for their role in the city's opioid epidemic.[24] Krasner instructed prosecutors to stop charging sex workers who had fewer than three crime convictions.[26]

In March 2018, it was reported that Krasner's staffers were working on creating a sentence review unit–the first of its kind in the country–to review past cases and sentences, and seek re-sentencing in cases where individuals were given unduly harsh punishments.[27]

Also in March 2018, it was reported that Krasner instructed prosecutors to: "Offer shorter prison sentences in plea deals. Decline certain classes of criminal charges. And explain, on the record, why taxpayers should fork over thousands of dollars per year to incarcerate people."[28] He further stated that: "Fiscal responsibility is a justice issue, and it is an urgent justice issue. A dollar spent on incarceration should be worth it. Otherwise, that dollar may be better spent on addiction treatment, on public education, on policing and on other types of activity that make us all safer."[29]

In April 2018, it was reported that some judges had rejected the reduced sentences which Krasner's prosecutors had sought for juveniles which had previously been sentenced to life in prison.[30]

In June 2018, it was reported that Krasner had requested a comprehensive list of police officers who had lied while on duty, used excessive force, racially profiled, or violated civil rights. According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, "The exercise, unprecedented in scope in recent city history, is designed to help prosecutors flag officers with credibility issues early in a case and possibly prevent their testimony".[31]

On July 15, 2019, Krasner filed a motion in the Pennsylvania Supreme Court to declare the state’s death penalty unconstitutional. Krasner cited high turnover rates, racial disparity, and ineffective counsel among reasons that capital punishment as practiced in Pennsylvania violates the state constitution’s ban on cruel and unusual punishment.[32]
    I get that context is important, but in a vacuum all of that actually sounds pretty good to me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I get that context is important, but in a vacuum all of that actually sounds pretty good to me.
    The clue about the context of this being that judges in a liberal city like Philly are pushing back against this.

The guy is a commie shit bag creating fake issues in a community with real crime problems.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The clue about the context of this being that judges in a liberal city like Philly are pushing back against this.

The guy is a commie shit bag creating fake issues in a community with real crime problems.
    Yeah, I don’t disagree with any of that. The point actually is understanding the power of sound bytes in the modern media age. I guarantee if I took that list and presented it to my moderately left-leaning wife, she’d think it was cool.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, I don’t disagree with any of that. The point actually is understanding the power of sound bytes in the modern media age. I guarantee if I took that list and presented it to my moderately left-leaning wife, she’d think it was cool.
    It actually sounds like Bernie Sanders new talking points and he is FAR from moderate.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/san...ement-officers

I can't agree. The guys is a prosecutor--not God. He has taken an oath to enforce the law. Instead, he announces which laws he will enforce and which he disagrees with, and won't enforce.

He was one of the prosecutors a Soros-linked group heavily backed to do exactly this, and it goes far beyond prosecutorial discretion--it amounts to rewriting the law. That is the job of the Pennsylvania legislature, not some local DA.

Now personally I think that we have far too many laws on the books and they need to be reduced and simplified. But if I ran for DA my job would be to enforce the existing laws. If I wanted to change the laws, I should run for the legislature.

As for his specific ideas, almost all of them have been tried elsewhere and haven't worked. In the end, it will just result in more violent felons being put back on the street, just like the drug dealer who shot the 6 cops. He was repeatedly arrested for weapons/violence/drug offenses and got back on the street almost immediately.

I am willing to admit that extreme lefties like this guy might actually care about people and particularly poor people. (Although frankly most extreme lefties I've met have just been virtue signaling--in fact they are wrapped up entirely in themselves to the extent that their own wives and kids are very often treated like afterthoughts). But even if you assume that, the ideas they suggest almost never work in real life, and they often--like this guy--ignore all the rules to do whatever they want to do.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Moderate lefties often have initial reactions like that. The next question should be whether she really wants to hand the power to one man to decide which laws count in a city and which laws should be ignored. Hard-left people such as Krasner often like the idea (because it gets around democratic constraints on their power). But the idea that a DA should have essentially dictatorial powers tends to make others uneasy.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    The big WTF flag to me is: "Up to one-third of the homicide prosecutors in the office were dismissed"

That's generally your "best and brightest" sort of group of experienced prosecutors. I don't give a shit about prosecuting simple possessions or prostitutes, but Murder is one of those things you really ought to try to tamp down. Even ignoring that, culling them is a long term loss for the organization. You're losing knowledge, experience, and mentors.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The big WTF flag to me is: "Up to one-third of the homicide prosecutors in the office were dismissed"

That's generally your "best and brightest" sort of group of experienced prosecutors. I don't give a shit about prosecuting simple possessions or prostitutes, but Murder is one of those things you really ought to try to tamp down. Even ignoring that, culling them is a long term loss for the organization. You're losing knowledge, experience, and mentors.
    Exactly this. Some are still in the game in various roles with other organizations where their experience can sill make a difference.

User Tag List