Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginning reloading

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Titan Reloading has the Lee Loadmaster for about $250 bucks. You can swap calibers and turrets in about 3 minutes after a few times of practice. My original Lee Progressive 1000 (less expensive than Loadmaster) was originally purchased in 1982 and still sits on my bench as a turret press.

Reloading press “colors” are akin to religion or truck brands. Pick who you want.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Titan Reloading has the Lee Loadmaster for about $250 bucks. You can swap calibers and turrets in about 3 minutes after a few times of practice. My original Lee Progressive 1000 (less expensive than Loadmaster) was originally purchased in 1982 and still sits on my bench as a turret press.

Reloading press “colors” are akin to religion or truck brands. Pick who you want.
    Yep. I always buy from Titan. Great prices and they give a good military discount on top. But as I’ve said. There’s a reason the Loadmaster has its reputation. It may be worth the $250. I still haven’t decided. And I have actually got one to run. But it’s worth it to spend more and get a press you aren’t always expecting to go down. Or spend less and get a Pro 1000 like you said and crank out ammo. It definitely has it’s demons too (priming system) but I would still call it reliable. And a great value at the $150-200 you can find them at.

Thanks for the discussion in the 550, guys. I guess I just don’t get the appeal of the 550 over the 650. Or if pistol only (like my case), the SDB. I find it hard to spend 550 $$ and not get progressive capability. Just me though.
    Last edited by TOTS; 08-19-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post

I'd get a Lee Turret before a Loadmaster.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd get a Lee Turret before a Loadmaster.
    I know right! I found a Loadmaster for a friend at $150 set up and I feel guilty sometimes that he bought it.

Site Supporter
    Everybody needs one single stage if for nothing else other than experimenting. Buy a used older one off ebay. I have given away several to help younger shooters learn to reload. The Lee Classic Turret, though not viewed as a single stage, has strength for most purposes. Then it can be used for load development. Lee outdid themselves with this model.

Started reloading with my father, when I was 5. Used a Lyman Turret till about 21 or so, and then purchased a Dillon 650. Depending on one's mechanical ability and understanding, a progressive is not always best. Some need the step by step, one thing at a time, others can safely have multiple steps (progressive) going on at once. When assembling ammunition, an honest evaluation of one's mechanical ability needs addressed.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Some have good experiences with Lee progressive progresses. I think that very many do not. I beat mine flat with a sledge hammer. The Lee Classic Cast presses, single stage and turret, are excellent. For the man or woman who wants a progressive, there are few reasons not to buy a Dillon 550. The fact that that it does not automatically index with each pull of the handle is a saving grace for those of us who are slow witted or mechanically inept or feeble minded.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Some have good experiences with Lee progressive progresses. I think that very many do not. I beat mine flat with a sledge hammer. The Lee Classic Cast presses, single stage and turret, are excellent. For the man or woman who wants a progressive, there are few reasons not to buy a Dillon 550. The fact that that it does not automatically index with each pull of the handle is a saving grace for those of us who are slow witted or mechanically inept or feeble minded.
    Also, the 550 can go as slow as you want and pretty darned fast too.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Since I retired I have been looking for a new hobby. with a recent purchase of a .44 special reloading seems just the ticket. Thirty plus years ago I would have just used my father’s RCBS rock chucker set up but he sold it all off because I didn’t have the time. I will be buying everything and I plan to start with a rock chucker supreme; then move onto a Dillon progressive. Any suggestions? Other models?
    A little against what everyone else has said, I would start with a single-stage "kit" (Lee, Lyman, RCBS...any quality one) and use it for a bit before going full blown with Dillon. Once you get used to the single-stage, if you find you have the need, then jump into a Dillon progressive.

Why? A single stage is very easy to use to help you get the basics down, it's relatively inexpensive and you will always have a use for it on your bench. The "accessories" that come with the kits (scales, funnels, loading block, etc) will also always have a use.

I have two Dillon SDB's, a Lymont T-Mag, and still find myself using the humble old RCBS JR2 for quite a few tasks.

Site Supporter
    I agree that starting with a single stage is best because it allows one to master quickly basic techniques. It permits one to observe and take time to analyze procedure. I do not imply that progressives prevent learning best practices.

User Tag List