Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Beginning reloading

Site Supporter
    When I started reloading in volume - USPSA shooting in 1986 plus some steel challenge, etc. - I had three Lee 1000 presses, one in 45, one in 9mm, and one in 38 Special. I loaded a lot of rounds through them but I literally wore them out to the point the Lee presses were disposable. I salvaged the Lee powder disc systems and all the Lee dies and those continue serving on my Dillon 550s. The Lee 1000s worked but were finicky and not a long term solution.
    Last edited by ranger; 08-19-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    For the man or woman who wants a progressive, there are few reasons not to buy a Dillon 550. The fact that that it does not automatically index with each pull of the handle is a saving grace for those of us who are slow witted or mechanically inept or feeble minded.
    Very true. It's really easy to unfuck a 550 when you have a problem.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    The deciding factor is how many rounds you shoot, or plan to shoot. If you're shooting 50 rounds a week, you'll be OK with a single stage. If you're shooting hundreds of rounds a week, it's 550 time. I load 9mm and .45 auto on my 550s, but all others on a single stage.
    I'm almost there. Except every summer I say I'm buying a progressive and then winter rolls around. Days of nothing but cold freezing weather. My range is outside so not much shooting going on. Lots of reloading though.

If I had a Dillon I would have pistol ammo stacked to the ceiling.
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-15-2019 at 10:21 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I'm almost there. Except every summer I say I'm buying a progressive and then winher rolls around. Days of nothing but cold freezing weather. My range is outside so not much shooting going on. Lots of reloading though.

If I had a Dillon I would have pistol ammo stacked to the ceiling.
    Not sure who is running Nike these days but I always liked their old slogan - Just Do It

I'm currently making a 9mm load on the 650 that costs me $5.00 for 50 rounds, or $100 per 1000. It isn't so much the money savings as this load shoots so nice, tailored to my gun. Spend 15 minutes here and there making ammo and soon you have an ammo can full.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    I've recently hooked up the old turret press because it's more in line with my apartment space requirements.

It's great. I shoot maybe a few hundred rounds a month. I have my .45 USPSA load that barely scrapes past major for way cheaper than factory ammo. I just throw on a podcast and my match ammo for the weekend match is ready.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Dillon is not the only game in town in regard to progressive presses. The Hornady LnL AP is a solid machine as well, and as a 5-station auto-indexing press with a quick change die system for about the same price as a Dillon 550, it has a lot going for it. I'm not going to claim that it's a perfect solution, but I've been very happy with mine.

I will say that if you choose to set up a bullet feeder system, it's FAR better to go with the Mr. Bulletfeeder (or Mini Mr. Bulletfeeder) than the Hornady bullet feeder die. Its design makes it both less fiddly to set up *and* more reliable, as well as working smoothly with any type of bullet you choose to feed it.

User Tag List