Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excellent article on the last US icebreaker

Excellent article on the last US icebreaker

#RESIST

Site Supporter
    I had just been reading about Operation Deep Freeze a few days ago, thanks for posting the link.

According to my dad, in 1968 or 1969 (his best recollection) the Coast Guard donated a bunch of these cabinets to the Seattle School District where my dad (University of Washington) had just received his first job out of grad school as a Principal, prior to moving to Idaho. The metal cabinets came off of an Icebreaker that was stationed in Seattle, though he could not recall/did not know the name of the ship.

It has been doing duty as an ammo storage cabinet for years now in my home:

I was clueless! What a sad story for a superpower. Thee superpower.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Great read!

Thanks for posting
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Meanwhile, in Russia......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLrHVDpo3ps

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...open-up-arctic

Russia launched a nuclear-powered icebreaker on Saturday, part of an ambitious programme to renew and expand its fleet of the vessels in order to improve its ability to tap the Arctic’s commercial potential.

The ship, dubbed the Ural and which was floated out from a dockyard in St Petersburg, is one of a trio that when completed will be the largest and most powerful icebreakers in the world.

CWM11B
    They're working on it gang:

https://news.usni.org/2019/04/23/vt-...ard-icebreaker

Plus, given the QC in Russia, and their pretty widely known issues with seaworthy vessels, I'm not too worried

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I was clueless! What a sad story for a superpower. Thee superpower.
    Given recent Navy ship issues, sailors using ingenuity to keep an older ship going is refreshing.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Given recent Navy ship issues, sailors using ingenuity to keep an older ship going is refreshing.
    +1 that was really cool. Very true. Funny I bet that crews esprit de corps is pretty decent
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    +1 that was really cool. Very true. Funny I bet that crews esprit de corps is pretty decent
    Exactly. At least they can buy parts on eBay. Zumwalt's crew can't buy ammo at any price.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List