Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you wearing under your vest?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    It more about the compression than the actual material. Lets the armor sort of move with me rather than bunch up the undershirt like cotton shirts tend to.
    Yep. I'd have liked having such back in the day.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I took my cumberband strap off. Not sure why the vest even has that, none of my previous ones did. I think that might be a source of a lot of the issue.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I took my cumberband strap off. Not sure why the vest even has that, none of my previous ones did. I think that might be a source of a lot of the issue.
    I think armor fit is like an AIWB fit. Everyone is different. I use the cummerbund as it allows the armor to stay put which having the panel straps a little looser. I think, as a department, we run about 50/50 with the use of them. We have the new super-duper PB armor with the wiz-bang carrier. It has all sorts of adjustment. And...seems to last longer and stink less than previous generations of carriers. FWIW, these are concealed vests not external carriers.

All those using UA undershirts...they have a proven history of sticking to skin when they begin to melt...

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpu...12348dpi72.pdf

Areas of both the polypropylene
    and Under Armour T-shirts had melted. Melting materials
    may stick to the skin, aggravating burn injuries.
    The tests showed burn injury was predicted on a
    high percentage of the mannequin’s surface (figure 9).
    Polypropylene had the lowest predicted percent of burn
    injury, while Under Armour and silk fared the worst.
    Significant portions of the Under Armour and polypropylene
    garments melted during the radiant exposure tests (figures 10
    and 11), as they had during the flame engulfment tests.
    The Missoula Technology and
    Development Center worked with the University of Alberta’s Flash Fire Facility to test undergarments made of cotton or
    wool (both approved for firefighters) and silk, polyester, polypropylene, and Under Armour. Tests showed that firefighters
    wearing synthetic undergarments would be more likely to suffer burn injuries because the synthetic materials might melt and
    stick to their skin. The 100-percent cotton and 100-percent wool undergarments did not ignite, melt, or char during testing.
    Thought this was public knowledge already, no one I work with uses UA, at all.

As far as Duluth shirts...I use their armachillo cooling v-neck: https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-a...hirts-t-shirts, and their buck naked tank top: https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-b...gender&start=1

These are the best two I've used so far. In the winters I use their heavier cotton shirts.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    I just used regular T-shirt’s but I did keep a bottle of corn starch baby power handy. I would carefully pour it inside my t shirt during my shifts. Don’t be afraid to bring extra T-shirt’s to change into

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    All those using UA undershirts...they have a proven history of sticking to skin when they begin to melt...

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpu...12348dpi72.pdf

Thought this was public knowledge already, no one I work with uses UA, at all.
    Didn't Jared Reston have some sort of weird, albeit very minor, wound caused by a UA type shirt doing something funky behind the vest where it was shot?

I gave up trying to find some magical material to wear under my west. The issue is air circulation. My dept now allows us to wear plate carriers and that's been the best solution for me. The carriers fit looser and allow air to circulate around your shirt. You still get sweaty but it's not a bad as wearing soft body armor underneath a uniform shit.

During the summer months I still enjoy relaxing in the beer cooler at the local convenience store.

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    My dept now allows us to wear plate carriers and that's been the best solution for me.
    Plate carriers as in outer soft armor carriers, or legitimate plate carriers? Do you guys have a concern with the reduced coverage?

I currently wear one of the under armor shirts. Not the heat gear shirt, but the slightly thicker one. The thing that’s saved me is a 5.11 Rapid Performance Polo. It’s like a combat shirt concept of a lightweight body, with normal ish sleeves.

I’m on a Bike Unit in AZ, so in the summer we’re seeing some pretty high heats. The combination of a UA shirt, lightweight body of the polo, and the mesh padding on my Velocity Systems carrier have made it semi-bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    Didn't Jared Reston have some sort of weird, albeit very minor, wound caused by a UA type shirt doing something funky behind the vest where it was shot?
    No idea just putting it out there

If you have not done so yet seriously look at Duluth
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I don't know, it's not even been that hot. I asked my wife if she changed laundry detergent, I thought maybe I was having an allergic reaction to something or other. I'll take a look at some of the suggestions in the thread. I guess for now it's two shirts a shift and Gold Bond.

I do keep my top side strap pretty tight as my BUG is velcro'd under it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List