Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What are you wearing under your vest?

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Try an external vest carrier in hot weather. You can unzip the sides and air yourself out when sitting in the car or in the office. This is a double plus if you can your whole vest off when report writing, etc.
    Are external vests an option for you, @BehindBlueI's?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I and others have had great luck with cornstarch baby powder. Supposed to be nine times more absorbent than mineral based talc, and with no allergy issues.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Are external vests an option for you, @BehindBlueI's?
    Yeah, they are now authorized. Some guys really like them, but I haven't tried one yet.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Yeah, they are now authorized. Some guys really like them, but I haven't tried one yet.
    A third to one half of our guys are using them. A couple tried them and went back to the regular uniform. I've not tried one either, and I'm too close to retirement to be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    A third to one half of our guys are using them. A couple tried them and went back to the regular uniform. I've not tried one either, and I'm too close to retirement to be interested.
    I think they look fine for certain folks. Others look like a popped can of biscuits. I also wear my vest so that it overlaps on the sides, so I think I'd have to get remeasured and get new panels to fit an exterior carrier. Maybe I misunderstand how they fit, though.

Site Supporter
    I think they look fine for certain folks. Others look like a popped can of biscuits. I also wear my vest so that it overlaps on the sides, so I think I'd have to get remeasured and get new panels to fit an exterior carrier. Maybe I misunderstand how they fit, though.
    They should fit just like your under shirt carrier rather than like an IBA/plate carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    They should fit just like your under shirt carrier rather than like an IBA/plate carrier.
    I'll look into our approved version, then. I'm detailed to Homicide soon anyway, so won't be a pressing concern for a bit.

I work down in south Louisiana so y’all can all image how hot it is here. I’ve been been wearing an Academy brand (BCG) loose fit tech shirt under my armor. We have to wear our armor under our uniform shirts, and our uniforms are polyester and dark blue. It’s not comfortable at all in the summer.

Has anyone tried the inserts that go under the armor that allows air to flow through?

Others look like a popped can of biscuits.
    I resemble that statement.

At least more than I like to admit.

As others have mentioned, it fits your vest exactly the same as under your shirt. It's just an over-shirt. It's a great benefit for those of us in middle age. The ability to pop it off when report writing is worth it, alone. I'm going to explore attaching some of the items on my vest, like my radio, to it to get some weight off my belt. A couple buddies of mine have nothing on their belts except pistol and taser.

I've recently tried wearing "tactical" suspenders under my vest carrier to take some of the weight off. It works pretty well, and guys who have sciatica have mentioned it really helps.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I resemble that statement.

At least more than I like to admit.

As others have mentioned, it fits your vest exactly the same as under your shirt. It's just an over-shirt. It's a great benefit for those of us in middle age. The ability to pop it off when report writing is worth it, alone. I'm going to explore attaching some of the items on my vest, like my radio, to it to get some weight off my belt. A couple buddies of mine have nothing on their belts except pistol and taser.

I've recently tried wearing "tactical" suspenders under my vest carrier to take some of the weight off. It works pretty well, and guys who have sciatica have mentioned it really helps.
    Ours aren't the "tac vest" kind, they are vests that look like the uniform. You still have to wear all your stuff on your belt.

I did find a Under Armor Heat Gear shirt on clearance at Marshall's and wore it today with a liberal coating of Gold Bond. No itching, so that was a plus.

User Tag List