Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The End Of L.E. As We Knew It...the Bell Tolls

https://youtu.be/Kb21_qI90pE

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    https://youtu.be/Kb21_qI90pE

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    In my city, we are one smartphone app away from that being reality.

Site Supporter
    And re-reading this, this proposed legislation would ONLY apply to Federal Law Enforcement.

There is a provision in there where states that don't adopt the same use of force policy would lose some Federal funding.

Whether or not states could compel counties and municipalities to adopt a particular policy is another issue. (My state does specify that police agencies have to have a policy on Use of Deadly Force, Use of Non-Deadly Force, Emergency Vehicle Operation and a couple of others, but they do not specify what the policies have to say. They do have model policies as a reference)

Student
    Burlington, Vermont city councilor Perri Freeman believes police not carrying firearms is a viable solution.

https://www.facebook.com/councilorfr...61760997823865

Councilor Perri Freeman
    August 16 at 7:12 PM

Thankful to be able to take a few minutes this week to talk with My NBC5 about policing practices. In Burlington, we have had numerous incidences over the last years that have called into question our police department's use of force and firearm use.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I learned that some countries do not require their police on regular duty to carry firearms: including the UK, New Zealand, and Iceland.

Of these countries, Iceland stood out. Unlike the UK and New Zealand, Iceland has a high rate of gun ownership-- on par with Vermont. Yet their law enforcement officers do not carry firearms and have shot and killed one person in 72 years. In Burlington, two people were shot and killed by police in the last six years.

Iceland utilizes a policing philosophy based on a culture of consent, respect and trust. In the US, firearms as a regular policing tool can enable a policing philosophy built on violence and forced compliance.

These kind of cultural shifts often don't happen overnight-- I am thankful for the opportunity to be part of these conversations and work toward solutions.

Iceland has a population a little more than half that of Wyoming. Pretty much everyone is a relative, and they had strict prohibition laws until relatively recent years. (Though the parents of my old high school buddy from Iceland liked to enjoy a strong libation more than infrequently.)

It's a whole different animal. (Believe me, I've heard the stories.)
    Last edited by blues; 08-23-2019 at 04:35 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    I will hereafter refer to the "San Francisco Board of Supervisors" as know-nothing, spineless lily-livered mental defectives.

It's a two-way street.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Iceland has a population a little more than half that of Wyoming. Pretty much everyone is a relative, and they had strict prohibition laws until relatively recent years. (Though the parents of my old high school buddy from Iceland liked to enjoy a strong libation more than infrequently.)

It's a whole different animal. (Believe me, I've heard the stories.)
    This. A homogeneous culture with no more people than the greater metropolitan area of Spokane, WA.

Total moronic utterances, that Burlington guy.

PS;

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post

Last edited by Totem Polar; 08-25-2019 at 07:07 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Perhaps Councilor Perri Freeman should just move her ass right on over to Iceland and leave Vermont alone.

Site Supporter
    At least 40 years ago teachers were being told to avoid certain language. Telling a lie became misrepresenting the truth. Stealing became borrowing an item without asking. Cheating became not working independently. Rules became agreements. After I retired in 2002, I may have been the last teacher to tell a kid that "this room is only big enough for one fool, and I ain't leaving". I was an effective teacher in the inner city for these reasons: I did care; I did not hold grudges; I gave my best; and I had no fear. Further, I was straight up to the point of being blunt. Today some of these traits would be deemed unsatisfactory. We are seeing cultural shifts. Where it will lead is a mystery.

User Tag List