Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Trump is thinking about buying Greenland

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Well, fortunately my pension system is funded properly and I don't see a reason that would change short of total government collapse. We will likely have to adjust how much we pay in, but I wouldn't class it anywhere near in the same category of danger as many state-level pensions. Some of those state employees are taking reasonable measures with such states to fix the issues and make their pensions sustainable, as well.....the police in NJ took their pension away from the state government, for instance. It's now run by the cops, for the cops, and the state can't steal money from it any longer.

And, while this might come as a surprise despite "playing a stupid game" and you thinking I deserve a stupid prize, I understand how retirements work and have a well funded TSP that would be a serviceable retirement on its own, private investments, and as a slacking, non-hacking millennial in his mid-30s, I own most of my home's equity.

Seriously, if my pension disappears we'll be having way, way fucking bigger problems than wondering about retirement planning.
    Being employed by the federal government is not in and of itself a stupid game. I get the sense that you interpreted my post as that which is not what I said or implied.

However, thinking that your pension and Medicare alone will support your retirement would be pretty dumb. Fortunately, it sounds like you are not making that mistake. Contrast that with a recent stat that some 20% of federal retirees will enter retirement with more than $25K in unsecured debt; 10% will owe more than 100K on their mortgage. That Sir, is a very stupid game.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    I'd actually entertain a holiday in southern Greenland. It's on my bucket list.
    Several years ago, I spent an hour at the sleepy little airport in Narsarsuaq on a fuel stop crossing the North Atlantic. The other pilot and I hung out and had a few smokes with the tower controller before blasting off eastbound over the ice cap.

No hotels, but they had what sounded like a hostel or B&B, can’t remember..

He said there’s a ton of outdoor activities to do, hiking, biking, kayaking, etc. Viking relics.

It was cool, unique experience. Greenland and Iceland fascinate me despite my aversion to cold.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Maybe we could trade the Virgin Islands back to Denmark for Greenland. Of course, Trump would probably want to keep an island of Virgins. The Danes minted some very nice coins for them in the early 1900s.

User Tag List