Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Experience with Citizen Eco-Drive divers?

It will be the same disposable nothing that everything else in the $200 range is.

Not trying to be rude. There just isn’t much thought that need be placed on this type of piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    It will be the same disposable nothing that everything else in the $200 range is.

Not trying to be rude. There just isn’t much thought that need be placed on this type of piece.
    What makes you say this about Citizen?
    The OPs Invicta definitely qualifies as “disposable nothing”, but Citizen makes pretty good quality timepieces for the money. I owned a Nighthawk and it’s build definitely is above “disposable”.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

The '06 Titanium version of this Citizen - https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/p...J8050-08E.html - has been a day-in / day-out watch since Jan '07 at the latest. Truly like it and the other three or four Citizens I've gotten over time.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    The OPs Invicta definitely qualifies as “disposable nothing”, but Citizen makes pretty good quality timepieces for the money. I owned a Nighthawk and it’s build definitely is above “disposable”.
    Citizen makes nice stuff for what it is, but an Eco-Drive is not something you are likely to hand down to your kids. It has a limited service life that is not cost effective to extend. It makes more sense to buy a new one when it dies, i.e. it's disposable.

A good mechanical piece can be regularly serviced and passed down for generations. If keeping the watch around for several decades is not a concern, rock on with the Citizen. The Eco-Drive is awesome at what it does.
    Last edited by 98z28; 08-15-2019 at 03:26 PM.

I guess I'm the only one with a bad experience with an eco-drive? (Mine wasn't a diving watch though.) Wore one all summer - so the battery was definitely fully charged. Then about a month after long shirt sleeve weather had begun I checked my watch only to find it dead. It started working again after sunlight hit it, the battery was simply out of a charge. "Works up to six months in total darkness" my arse...

Quote Originally Posted by kjr_29 View Post
    I have considered a Suunto Core for field work or fitness activities
    Bought one of those too, and ended up breaking about six before the warranty ran out... The barometric sensor was usually the first thing to go.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Im guessing what he means is not worth the money to repair if needed. May as well buy a new one. At least that was the situation with a co worker who had one of the fancy chronometer models. I believe that was with factory or factory approved repair.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Apologies for being brief and rude

Yes I did mean disposable in regards to more costly to repair than replace.

And if that’s the goal then, cool. It’ll work

But if not wasting money is key, planing on sometime not lasting is an odd path imo.

Site Supporter
    I bought a Citizen Ecodrive "field watch" for $65 on an Amazon sale. I am wearing it now and it is doing great. I also have an older Suunto. If I wear the Suunto for a few days - the Citizen Ecodrive is "dead" and I have to rest everything before using. As long as I use it daily - all is ok.

Bought a pair of these, one for me and one as a gift, a few months ago:

Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Promaster Diver Watch with Date, BN0150-28E https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016R90VBK..._NKDvDb33KVGDQ

Nicely finished. Bezel is not as fine as my Sub. Date window is almost impossible to see.

Timekeeping is fine.

I wear it from time to time.

I bought one of those on sale for ~$115 back in December. I have a much older Ecodrive from ~2002 that still works.

User Tag List