Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Experience with Citizen Eco-Drive divers?

I bought one of the citzen divers, eco- drive about 3 weeks ago, I checked the time against the official Gov't time website where I set it when I got it, so, 3 weeks in, and it's running two seconds fast..2 seconds! I've worn this watch daily since I bought it, wore it shooting, mowing the lawn etc, you get it..So far no problems/issues to report. Take it off at night, and put it on in the morning, no problems, running fine. I love this watch's accuracy, to me it's the best of both the mechanical, and quatrz movement world..quartz accuracy, but like a mechanical, never needs a battery.. And, it's affordable.. 200 meter water resistance(like I'm going to be diving that deep)What's not to like?
    Last edited by ralph; 08-15-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Apologies for being brief and rude

Yes I did mean disposable in regards to more costly to repair than replace.

And if that’s the goal then, cool. It’ll work

But if not wasting money is key, planing on sometime not lasting is an odd path imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Im guessing what he means is not worth the money to repair if needed. May as well buy a new one. At least that was the situation with a co worker who had one of the fancy chronometer models. I believe that was with factory or factory approved repair.
    My understanding is a Citizen Eco-Drive will last 20 years before needing any factory service, which costs $80 from Citizen. Since most of their models retail for at least double that, it doesn’t strike me as a throwaway brand of watch.

Now a sub $500 mechanical or generic quartz watch I could see being considered disposable. You’re not keeping one of those running for 20 years without paying more then it’s worth.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Experience with Citizen Eco-Drive divers?

I bought one of the original Citizen Aqualand watches in 1991 or 92, doing my AOW cert in the Cayman Islands. Dove with it in the Red Sea on a Aggressor Liveaboard. Same for a couple trips to NC on the Olympus out of Morehead City. Plus 100s of training dives at Haymarket Quarry in VA. The digital depth gauge, timer and alarm were a welcome adjunct to one’s Dive Tables in the early days of the new digital multi-tissue model dive computers then coming out (e.g. Sherwood Source.)

It was warranted till the year 2000 - unheard of at the time.

I bought at least two new rubber bands. I think I had it serviced 3 times maybe, new batteries, gaskets and pressure test.

It was bombproof.

I sold it on eBay in 2010 after my Divorce. Too many memories, if you know what I mean.

I suspect it is still running somewhere.

Looked like this:

Last edited by RJ; 08-15-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Some good debate above. Opening my perspectives a bit.

While I never really considered the legacy aspect, I am not looking for an heirloom piece at this point, just a cut above the quality on my previous Casios (I averaged about 6-7 years with each) and certainly the Invicta which still works fine but has the number piece floating around now sine hitting the concrete from about a 5ft drop. Both of my boys (22 and 17) are into G-shocks now, not much of the classic diver style like interests me.

It will get worn, scratched, slept in, low crawled while bow hunting with, dunked in the river setting up duck decoys, worked out in and stared at longingly during boring meetings at work. I just can’t envision taking a multi-thousand dollar timepiece through that.

In essence, I guess I view it as a finite lifespan item, I just want a little better disposable on my wrist

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kjr_29 View Post
    That blue one is tempting, but I find black timeless and appealing. I should get both! One blue and one black!

The one I bought is blue..I like it, something different than black..

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    My understanding is a Citizen Eco-Drive will last 20 years before needing any factory service, which costs $80 from Citizen. Since most of their models retail for at least double that, it doesn’t strike me as a throwaway brand of watch.

Now a sub $500 mechanical or generic quartz watch I could see being considered disposable. You’re not keeping one of those running for 20 years without paying more then it’s worth.
    I want to be clear i have no problems with a citizen watch. I have almost bought one several times in the past but considering my line of work and everything that is on my wrist gets broken and beat to hell i never have sprung for one.
    I went to their website and i thought they have a great five year warranty. Under repairs for out of warranty there was no stated cost. They want you to send it in and they will give you a written estimate, repair work will not be done without your approval.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I don’t want to gum up the Obligatory Wrist watch thread, but wanted to see what others experiences with the Eco-Drive line up from Citizen have been.

My background - long time analog diver style fan, predominantly Casio G-shocks and analogs throughout my time in the military. Gave my last Casio to my son last year when he was on his own in the workforce.

Picked up an Invicta Pro Diver (https://www.invictawatch.com/watches...al-pc32-quartz) about 18 months ago - it is my one and only timepiece. I like the style, and it worked ok for being an every day use watch. I can wake up at 3am and see the luminescent hands. I dropped it in my garage last week and it smacked the concrete hard, the 12 o’clock marked came off and is floating around inside the case.

Time for a new watch. I don’t mind paying a few bucks, but north of $200 is not happening, just cannot wrap my mind around that for my needs. Amazon has some good deals on the Promaster Diver line at the moment.

I am really liking some Citizen pieces, particularly these models (below) which tick my aesthetic box. Have never owned a Citizen so I don’t know what I don’t know regarding quality and longevity.

https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/p...z=24&start=132

https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/p...z=24&start=131

Let me know your thoughts and experiences!

You do realize when you get this watch you have to post pics ...😎
    Here is the perfect thread for your pics. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....full=1#post504

Site Supporter
    I bought a broken Mickey Mouse eco drive off eBay for 20 bucks for my wife . Somebody had tried to replace the battery. I took it to a citizen dealer. It was sent back to the factory and it cost $80 to repair

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    You do realize when you get this watch you have to post pics ...[emoji41]
    Here is the perfect thread for your pics. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....full=1#post504
    Obligatory! I have spent a few hours lately perusing the thread.

Obligatory! I have spent a few hours lately perusing the thread.

This whole forum is a danger to your wallet and that thread is no exception.
    I typically buy timex $20 dollar watches and usually get two years out of them. Many years ago I bought a Bertucci and the first day I wore it to work I got weld splatter on the glass. Thats when I decided cheap watches only from now on. However retirement is getting closer so you never know.

User Tag List