Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Experience with Citizen Eco-Drive divers?

Experience with Citizen Eco-Drive divers?

I don’t want to gum up the Obligatory Wrist watch thread, but wanted to see what others experiences with the Eco-Drive line up from Citizen have been.

My background - long time analog diver style fan, predominantly Casio G-shocks and analogs throughout my time in the military. Gave my last Casio to my son last year when he was on his own in the workforce.

Picked up an Invicta Pro Diver (https://www.invictawatch.com/watches...al-pc32-quartz) about 18 months ago - it is my one and only timepiece. I like the style, and it worked ok for being an every day use watch. I can wake up at 3am and see the luminescent hands. I dropped it in my garage last week and it smacked the concrete hard, the 12 o’clock marked came off and is floating around inside the case.

Time for a new watch. I don’t mind paying a few bucks, but north of $200 is not happening, just cannot wrap my mind around that for my needs. Amazon has some good deals on the Promaster Diver line at the moment.

I am really liking some Citizen pieces, particularly these models (below) which tick my aesthetic box. Have never owned a Citizen so I don’t know what I don’t know regarding quality and longevity.

https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/p...z=24&start=132

https://www.citizenwatch.com/us/en/p...z=24&start=131

Let me know your thoughts and experiences!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Both great choices. The first on is also avail. w a dark blue dial.
    The eco drive system is well vetted. 10 yrs plus on the watch would be my expectations.

As you said, Amazon often has them at well under 200 shipped. Jomashop is another source of deeply discounted Citizens.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 08-15-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Site Supporter
    I had one that worked well. My brother had one that never worked. That said, I would buy another if price were right. Might look at the Seiko line before deciding. We are talking about cheap watches. I've never owned any other kind and suggest buying a model with a good track record, information that you are seeking.

I have had zero bad experiences with any of my Citizen watches. At last count, I owned four and wear them regularly on a rotating basis.

As mentioned earlier in this post, one can catch some real bargains on Amazon on Citizen watches, and another source is Macy's. They have a "Friends & Family" sale a couple of times a year when some really deep discounts are available on a lot of merchandise. I don't know when those sales are held . . . . but my wife does! She bought me a Citizen Navihawk AT model for my birthday a couple of years ago and it is my favorite.

The watch in the first link provided by the OP was on a special sale on Amazon some time back and IIRC, they were available for somewhere around $110-$115 delivered on Amazon Prime. Seem as though that subject was discussed on this forum at that time and several members scored one of those watches. I was among them, and it's another great watch.

Site Supporter
    My go to work watch has been a G shock for years. My “dress” watch has been a seiko diver for over thirty years. I started with a seiko quartz Pepsi diver but moved to the black seiko 007. I like them a lot. One 007 has the stainless band, the other a NATO strap with a dragon band. The problem for me was I never wore them enough to keep the automatic movement wound up enough to keep good time. If I wore one everyday after a couple weeks it would keep great time but if I took it off for the weekend it required to be reset. Not a big deal but not great. I even bought a watch winding box. It helped but not enough. I recently switched to two eco drives. A titanium golf watch, super thin and light and a diver. I keep them on the window sill and they work great. Any time I want one it is ready to go. I want to get another eco drive diver. One with a stainless steel band and one with a nato band. I have been wanting to email dragon shroud for a shroud to fit the citizens. I got my son his own eco drive diver. I got them off amazon on sale

Site Supporter
    I've had two eco-drives for a few years, a chrono and a small field watch, and I have no complaints about either.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Both great choices. The first on is also avail. w a dark blue dial.
    The eco drive system is well vetted. 10 yrs plus on the watch would be my expectations.

As you said, Amazon often has them at well under 200 shipped. Jomashop is another source of deeply discounted Citizens.
    That blue one is tempting, but I find black timeless and appealing. I should get both! One blue and one black!

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I have had zero bad experiences with any of my Citizen watches. At last count, I owned four and wear them regularly on a rotating basis.

As mentioned earlier in this post, one can catch some real bargains on Amazon on Citizen watches, and another source is Macy's. They have a "Friends & Family" sale a couple of times a year when some really deep discounts are available on a lot of merchandise. I don't know when those sales are held . . . . but my wife does! She bought me a Citizen Navihawk AT model for my birthday a couple of years ago and it is my favorite.

The watch in the first link provided by the OP was on a special sale on Amazon some time back and IIRC, they were available for somewhere around $110-$115 delivered on Amazon Prime. Seem as though that subject was discussed on this forum at that time and several members scored one of those watches. I was among them, and it's another great watch.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    My go to work watch has been a G shock for years. My “dress” watch has been a seiko diver for over thirty years. I started with a seiko quartz Pepsi diver but moved to the black seiko 007. I like them a lot. One 007 has the stainless band, the other a NATO strap with a dragon band. The problem for me was I never wore them enough to keep the automatic movement wound up enough to keep good time. If I wore one everyday after a couple weeks it would keep great time but if I took it off for the weekend it required to be reset. Not a big deal but not great. I even bought a watch winding box. It helped but not enough. I recently switched to two eco drives. A titanium golf watch, super thin and light and a diver. I keep them on the window sill and they work great. Any time I want one it is ready to go. I want to get another eco drive diver. One with a stainless steel band and one with a nato band. I have been wanting to email dragon shroud for a shroud to fit the citizens. I got my son his own eco drive diver. I got them off amazon on sale
    I was a huge G-shock fan but found as my travels increased, the process to change time back and forth was just too much. I got my first Casio analog style diver and have been a fan ever since. Simple, timeless style.

I have considered a Suunto Core for field work or fitness activities but still undecided. Might take some hard use wear off my daily piece.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    I've had two eco-drives for a few years, a chrono and a small field watch, and I have no complaints about either.
    Thanks!

User Tag List