Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Automakers gearing for a recession

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    The automotive business is being disrupted. I am often amazed at the our new employees who live in downtown Atlanta and do not own a car - they Uber/Lyft most of the time and rent on as-needed basis. I know parents who are begging their teenagers+ to get drivers license so they can stop being chauffeurs (yes, that is a problem in itself).

I was at DMV the day I turned 15 for my Learners and the day I turned 16 for my DL. Already had the first Mustang before 16. Of course, I am a dinosaur.
    We have the same thing going on in Minneapolis. Uber/Lyft are huge. Younger people don't want to own cars. Massive apartment buildings with retail and grocery are going up on every corner so you never have to leave the area. Can't be good for automakers when entire generations don't want your product.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I bought my first vehicle in 1988 (right before I bought my trial wife). It was a Chevy standard cab pickup 4x4, custom ordered for the local dealer's best-friend's son, who subsequently decided he didn't want it. It had the largest V8 available in a Chevy full size at the time, mated to a five speed manual tranny. It was basically a land rocket with cargo capacity added. Loved that truck, and drove it off the lot for WELL under $20K including TTL.

Fast forward to this spring, I was walking around the Ford dealership lot while my work truck was getting 5K service, looking at F150 Raptors. They're STARTING at $71.5K - to me, that's Lamborghini money. WTF has happened to pickup truck prices?

OBTW, before I get accused of being a dinosaur, not too much longer after that, I bought my first Glock for just about $400 out the door. I bought a Gen5 G19 two weeks ago for $426 - about a 6 percent price increase in 20 years. Trucks have increased 300% in the same time period?

And, GET OFF MY LAWN!
    LOL!

That ain’t nowhere near “Lamborghini money”! [emoji1787][emoji38][emoji106]

But I concur with your point(s). It’s gotten well and truly out of hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    LOL!

Getting close to “used Lamborghini” money. But then again anyone who knows anything about exotic sports cars know buying them is the easy part. Which is why I still have a Mustang Cobra and not a Ferrari 308.

/BEGIN cool story bro/

I’m just chiming in here because someone brought up the Chevy Colorado and I just bought a Colorado ZR2 and it’s dope as hell.

/END cool story bro/

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    LOL!

You can barely buy a base model 4WD Silverado or F150 for under 30k anymore. That's "off the lot" price, I don't do enough volume to get fleet discounts.

My grandma just bought a Honda Civic and lamented that it cost more than her house. Of course she bought her house in 1953, but even so. Damn unions.
    Last edited by Darth_Uno; 08-15-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I bought my first vehicle in 1988 (right before I bought my trial wife). It was a Chevy standard cab pickup 4x4, custom ordered for the local dealer's best-friend's son, who subsequently decided he didn't want it. It had the largest V8 available in a Chevy full size at the time, mated to a five speed manual tranny. It was basically a land rocket with cargo capacity added. Loved that truck, and drove it off the lot for WELL under $20K including TTL.

Fast forward to this spring, I was walking around the Ford dealership lot while my work truck was getting 5K service, looking at F150 Raptors. They're STARTING at $71.5K - to me, that's Lamborghini money. WTF has happened to pickup truck prices?

OBTW, before I get accused of being a dinosaur, not too much longer after that, I bought my first Glock for just about $400 out the door. I bought a Gen5 G19 two weeks ago for $426 - about a 6 percent price increase in 20 years. Trucks have increased 300% in the same time period?

And, GET OFF MY LAWN!
    I hear mini-vans are a good deal less these days...thinking of looking at one myself....gray man and all

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    The automotive business is being disrupted. I am often amazed at the our new employees who live in downtown Atlanta and do not own a car - they Uber/Lyft most of the time and rent on as-needed basis. I know parents who are begging their teenagers+ to get drivers license so they can stop being chauffeurs (yes, that is a problem in itself).

I was at DMV the day I turned 15 for my Learners and the day I turned 16 for my DL. Already had the first Mustang before 16. Of course, I am a dinosaur.
    My first car was a Mustang too, or should I say "Mustang II"...1976 vintage w/4 cyl and manual trans.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    https://jalopnik.com/gm-and-ford-are...ion-1837234884

I've been looking for a new vehicle. Went to a GM dealership the other day to look at a Colorado. They didn't have any. That tells me either they sell a lot of those or they simply cut back production, or both. Plenty of full size 40K pickups on the lot but no small pickups.

First time I've ever been into a dealership and was told they didn't have the vehicle I wanted to look at in stock. Something's amiss here. Maybe everyone in Mexico is on vacation.
    Our local Chevy dealer does not stock Colorados. never has stocked them. I don't know why people buy them unless their garage is too small for a full size pick up.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    We have the same thing going on in Minneapolis. Uber/Lyft are huge. Younger people don't want to own cars. Massive apartment buildings with retail and grocery are going up on every corner so you never have to leave the area. Can't be good for automakers when entire generations don't want your product.
    My soon-to-be-16yo has no interest in getting her license. She's terrified of driving (we live in NoVA, which has near California-like traffic snarl.

I'm tolerating it for now because she doesn't work (too young) and doesn't have a huge list of after-school activities that require us to drive her around. However, I'm starting to put gentle pressure on her to get her license even if she doesn't drive around a lot. She needs to be prepared for when it becomes a requirement.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 08-15-2019 at 06:52 PM.

I know a 40 year old dude who doesn't own a car anymore and lives "the uber life". I've met a few people in their 30s doing the same, as well.

It's not just a young people thing, but the other factor influencing the higher rates of adolescents and young adults not owning cars is because they simply can't afford it. We're two generations deep now of children that have been pushed by the boomers and Gen X to waste their entire financial life on useless degrees for exceedingly lower paying jobs. When inflation is accounted for, that minimum wage job you had as a kid would be well over $20-something/hour now. The two same generations have changed the world to a place where being financially stable, single income households (and owning said house) are complete fucking fairy tales for the average person.

Add on top of that the outrageous traffic we have today in major urban cities (where the good paying jobs are located) and how much of a pain in the dick it is to use a car (or outrageously expensive to park it). They're not even convenient, which is supposed to be the whole idea.

So, it's really no surprise to me they're not buying cars, instead focusing on trying to use their money on something they actually need/want (like paying off college and saving up for a house).
    Last edited by TGS; 08-15-2019 at 07:12 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List