Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Automakers gearing for a recession

Automakers gearing for a recession

https://jalopnik.com/gm-and-ford-are...ion-1837234884

I've been looking for a new vehicle. Went to a GM dealership the other day to look at a Colorado. They didn't have any. That tells me either they sell a lot of those or they simply cut back production, or both. Plenty of full size 40K pickups on the lot but no small pickups.

First time I've ever been into a dealership and was told they didn't have the vehicle I wanted to look at in stock. Something's amiss here. Maybe everyone in Mexico is on vacation.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I'm surprised they had any $40k trucks. I assumed that is what a Colorado would cost. Trucks are crazy compared to 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I'm surprised they had any $40k trucks. I assumed that is what a Colorado would cost. Trucks are crazy compared to 20 years ago.
    Colorado isn't really a money saver. Full size can be had for 40K without a lot of added packages, about the same as a Colorado with the added off road packages and interior upgrades.

If been driving mine for 12 years and it's still worth 20K retail.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I bought my first vehicle in 1988 (right before I bought my trial wife). It was a Chevy standard cab pickup 4x4, custom ordered for the local dealer's best-friend's son, who subsequently decided he didn't want it. It had the largest V8 available in a Chevy full size at the time, mated to a five speed manual tranny. It was basically a land rocket with cargo capacity added. Loved that truck, and drove it off the lot for WELL under $20K including TTL.

Fast forward to this spring, I was walking around the Ford dealership lot while my work truck was getting 5K service, looking at F150 Raptors. They're STARTING at $71.5K - to me, that's Lamborghini money. WTF has happened to pickup truck prices?

OBTW, before I get accused of being a dinosaur, not too much longer after that, I bought my first Glock for just about $400 out the door. I bought a Gen5 G19 two weeks ago for $426 - about a 6 percent price increase in 20 years. Trucks have increased 300% in the same time period?

And, GET OFF MY LAWN!
    Last edited by psalms144.1; 08-15-2019 at 11:40 AM.

We are going into an election cycle and the news is pushing this recession thing hard. I sell products to automotive manufacturers and am not seeing a slowdown.

As for the price of trucks, they are the hottest seller right now. GM and Ford have almost completely abandoned making cars and with the crazy financing options available, are able to ask big numbers for the trucks. Dodge is doing well in the truck market and have climbed into second behind Ford.
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 08-15-2019 at 11:49 AM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Fast forward to this spring, I was walking around the Ford dealership lot while my work truck was getting 5K service, looking at F150 Raptors. They're STARTING at $71.5K - to me, that's Lamborghini money. WTF has happened to pickup truck prices?
    Supply and demand. Trucks are in demand, manufacturers are taking advantage of the demand, and we've been willing to keep writing checks to buy them. By the way, go check the prices on a new Lamborghini. In some cases you could have a Raptor for each day of the week or one Italian machine.

The Colorado I experienced was a total piece of trash.

Maybe they’ve improved.....not willing to risk it

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I bought my first vehicle in 1988 (right before I bought my trial wife). It was a Chevy standard cab pickup 4x4, custom ordered for the local dealer's best-friend's son, who subsequently decided he didn't want it. It had the largest V8 available in a Chevy full size at the time, mated to a five speed manual tranny. It was basically a land rocket with cargo capacity added. Loved that truck, and drove it off the lot for WELL under $20K including TTL.

OBTW, before I get accused of being a dinosaur, not too much longer after that, I bought my first Glock for just about $400 out the door. I bought a Gen5 G19 two weeks ago for $426 - about a 6 percent price increase in 20 years. Trucks have increased 300% in the same time period?

And, GET OFF MY LAWN!
    Calculating for inflation alone, that first truck you bought would be well over $40k today. With the trend that trucks are following, going from barebones utility/work vehicles to luxury power symbols, the $71k price tag for a raptor is pretty understandable.

I honestly thought Raptors were more than that....
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

It’s been a very crappy year, so much less shooting for me unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    The automotive business is being disrupted. I am often amazed at the our new employees who live in downtown Atlanta and do not own a car - they Uber/Lyft most of the time and rent on as-needed basis. I know parents who are begging their teenagers+ to get drivers license so they can stop being chauffeurs (yes, that is a problem in itself).

I was at DMV the day I turned 15 for my Learners and the day I turned 16 for my DL. Already had the first Mustang before 16. Of course, I am a dinosaur.

User Tag List