Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: “How do you propose to end mass shootings then?”

“How do you propose to end mass shootings then?”

Site Supporter
    An armed society is a polite society.

"Self-Defense" cannot be outsourced.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    There will always be evil. Restrictions on the law abiding is stupid to stop evil is stupid.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Well said...

Excellent! I for one like the public school class elective training.

Site Supporter
    Some good points, except for his belief that the military is qualified to teach firearms skills and safety. Tier 1 units, yes. The others, not so much.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Some good points, except for his belief that the military is qualified to teach firearms skills and safety. Tier 1 units, yes. The others, not so much.
    If the suggestion was to teach students in high school and college the basics of safe firearms handling, most NRA instructors should be able to handle it. If the plan is to give students the same kind of training you’d receive in the average two day handgun class, then you’re completely right.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I agree with the spirit of your statement, but there are plenty of non-Tier 1 units like vanilla Army SF that have this capability. Not trying to snipe you, just feel like that's a significant distinction. Vanilla SEAL, SF, MARSOC, et al are not Tier 1.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UniSol View Post
    I agree with the spirit of your statement, but there are plenty of non-Tier 1 units like vanilla Army SF that have this capability. Not trying to snipe you, just feel like that's a significant distinction. Vanilla SEAL, SF, MARSOC, et al are not Tier 1.
    I should've clarified that. Those folks are good to go.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    There's no hardware solution. You can minimize casualties, maybe, although look how quick the Ohio shooter was taken down and still managed some decent damage. Particularly if the attacker assumes it's a suicide mission, the notion that more armed people are going to make them rethink it is foolish.

To prevent mass murder, you'll have to reboot society. You can't, of course. Too many people at all levels invested in it the way it is.

1) We make them famous and glorify them in the media. The media makes money, the masses enjoy gory entertainment and/or revenge/white knight fantasies.
    2) We reward them with attention for their fucked up agendas. See #1. We take loser nobodies into someone we all need to care about.
    3) Politicians, the media, social media, etc. thrives on this Balkanization of the US. Anyone who disagrees with me on "X" is an enemy of the nation/"my people"/etc. They are "them", not "us", and are barely human. Someone on the edge anyway sees that as society's green light authorizing them to go kill "them".
    4) Purposeless people will look to find a purpose. There are fewer and fewer real relationships in modern life. People are more mobile and transient, largely due to the nature of the economy. We have fewer real connections and very few long term connections. That disconnect, especially for someone already a social outsider, makes #1 and #2 all that much more attractive.

I find it odd that folks who argue that mass murderers will find a way to kill even if guns are outlawed don't think they are also clever enough to adapt to an armed populace. IED or VBEIDS, vehicle assaults, arson of occupied structures, etc. Shit, anyone remember "killdozer"? If every swinging dick walked around with a carbine, we'll see more dickweeds with pressure cooker claymores and fuel truck bombs. It's not a hardware access issue. It's a society issue. I don't see it getting better, either. Too many people enjoy the divide.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I should've clarified that. Those folks are good to go.
    Forgive me for the "Well ACTUALLY..." tone of the post, if it came off that way.

User Tag List