Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: “How do you propose to end mass shootings then?”

Site Supporter
    IIRC, the most successful technique is having someone turn the potential shooter in when they show signs of isolation , threats , weapon stock piling. I think more than 50 have been stopped in one study.

If the Bible is correct when Caine killed Abel he destroyed 25% of the world population. Now that is mass murder.
    There have been about 250 people killed in so called mass shootings in 2019. There have been about 280 people killed in Chicago in 2019. You wnt to get rid of mass murder? stop using the term. Dead is dead whether you are killed alone or with a group. You want to stop murder? Good luck. I want to stop possibly being murdered. My guiding principle in that quest is simple: I would rather go on trial for killing someone than have someone go on trial for killing me. I carry a gun.

Site Supporter
    No one has mentioned the crazy picture of the author? Dude looks like a lunatic. Elective CQB training in high school? Please say we as men proficient in guns and war have more capable advocates.

Site Supporter
    Schools will not teach gun safety or anything else about shooting to include self defense. Mass shooting will continue.

We need to develop answers to questions like this: if AR15's and high capacity magazines are repeatedly being used in mass shootings with tragic results, how do you justify allowing future sales of either? A second exercise for us is justifying 30 shot magazines. Explain why a 10 shot magazine would not suffice in either rifle or handgun. I have the guns and the mags. I'm not trolling.

A non shooter will not accept our reasoning.

Some shooters will not accept our reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Schools will not teach gun safety or anything else about shooting to include self defense. Mass shooting will continue.

We need to develop answers to questions like this: if AR15's and high capacity magazines are repeatedly being used in mass shootings with tragic results, how do you justify allowing future sales of either? A second exercise for us is justifying 30 shot magazines. Explain why a 10 shot magazine would not suffice in either rifle or handgun. I have the guns and the mags. I'm not trolling.

A non shooter will not accept our reasoning.

Some shooters will not accept our reasoning.
    AR-15's have been available to the public since 1964. No background check needed. Why now?

Site Supporter
    Unless I'm wrong, dealers are required to submit buyers' names to undergo background checks--for any firearm that is not black powder or not made before a pre 1900 date. Exceptions exist when buyers hold carry licenses in states with certain eligibility requirements.

My post does not address what should or should not be done. It points out that we need to develop answers for questions that will be asked. About requiring universal background checks. This requirement is the least that we should fear. We are very near the point of being subjected to New York, Mass, NJ, or Calif type gun laws.

Assault rifles including AR's may soon face severe restrictions. Ditto for so-called high capacity magazines. In my area I see 18 year old gang bangers buying AR's and 30 shot magazines. I see a steady stream of these folks buying such. All I will say is that they have no business with the guns or the magazines. I do not have a recommendation. I do not know how to correct this problem.

We need to prepare to discuss the gun problem in ways that allow us to defend our position. The gun problem refers to the vast number of criminals, crazies, and incompetents that are causing the shit that we see in the news--from negligent deaths to robberies to homicides. I think that consumerism fuels purchasers by some who are stupid and irresponsible. No fix for this. Then we have large numbers of criminals owning guns. There is a fix for this, but society is unwilling to take steps to fix it. We have described the rabid and rage filled nuts who are carrying out mass shootings. Politicians will use their actions to justify more gun control. We will lose certain freedoms. I would prefer to restrict sales between individuals and require that all sales proceed through dealers. Do I want this change? No. But I would accept it if I could continue to own and use my current mags.

We must develop a dialogue to use when defending our position. Our lobbyist must have a strategy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    In the immediate aftermath of 9/11, there was some discussion concerning the creation of a national retired LE reserve force. Kinda of patterned after the military’s reserve components. I think FLEOA supported it at the time. The idea seems to have fizzled out. But, personally as a retiree now myself, I would donate some free protection duty to nearby schools if a well designed program were in place.
    The Colorado STEM school shooting has pretty much faded into the background because the students didn't want to go along with the political narrative but there was an armed security guard on campus when the shooting started and he engaged the shooters.

The bodies weren't even cold yet before the media started to vilify him and question whether or not he'd shot one of the students and go looking for information that he'd apparently been fired from some police department in Colorado.

After the new life church shooting Jeanne Assam couldn't take a dump without the media commenting on it. When she came out they were there. When she had her spat with the church they were there. Every time she got fired from a police department they were there. They also dug up the fact that she'd been fired from the Minneapolis PD.

I would say that the last thing that the media wants or the Left.wants is an actual good guy with a gun to stop a shooting.

ETA: speaking of Jeanne Assam, she has made herself very clear several times that unless you are a POST certified law enforcement officer you are not qualified to deal with a mass shooting. I actually got to ask her specifically "Is this what you believe?" and she reiterated that only cops and her are qualified to deal with this. She doesn't care how many deployment you have under your belt. She doesn't care how many times you've been to Gun Site. She doesn't care if you're Sergeant Rock. If you're not a cop you are not qualified. And if you're not a cop you shouldn't be in public with a gun anyway.
    Last edited by Cypher; 08-16-2019 at 02:28 AM.

Easy solution-
    1. Eliminate all welfare. People work or starve. Occupations keep people occupied and out of trouble.
    2. Make prison a punishment again. Convicted felons have no rights. Maximum prison sentences are not to exceed 20 years. Any crime/criminal deserving of a harsher punishment than 20 years gets executed within a month. This will thin the population of criminals and democrats, plus serve as a deterrent. Win, win, win!
    Problem(s) solved.

Will it happen? Of course not. Nothing that works will come from government and here's why;

Rules of Bureaucracy

Rule #1: Maintain the problem at all costs! The problem is the basis of power, perks, privileges, and security.
    Rule #2: Use crisis and perceived crisis to increase your power and control.
    Rule #3: If there are not enough crises, manufacture them, even from nature, where none exist.
    Rule #4: Control the flow and release of information while feigning openness.
    Rule #5: Maximize public-relations exposure by creating a cover story that appeals to the universal need to help people.
    Rule #6: Create vested support groups by distributing concentrated benefits and/or entitlements to these special interests, while distributing the costs broadly to one's political opponents.
    Rule #7: Demonize the truth tellers who have the temerity to say, "The emperor has no clothes."

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I don't propose any solution.

I don't propose any solution because there isn't a single problem that leads to someone becoming a malevolent narcissist and acting in a manner that will kill or maim others en masse. There are a number of contributing factors that require interventions that, generally speaking, government cannot actually achieve without creating a worse problem.

The will to evil and the desire to kill to make a statement to the world are not new. Media glorification of it is and to an extent I'm sure that plays a role in the decision to act that out...but I can't come up with laws that stop media coverage of those events that don't do unacceptable violence to free speech in general.

I don't have the answers to problems that have plagued humanity for generations.

Lacking the answers myself, I'm pretty sure nobody else has them either.

You cannot reliably prevent evil before it manifests without creating a system that is oppressive. Which, of course, is the goal of many of the people "demanding action".

There are very, very few problems in this world that have answers that can be shouted through megaphones.
    3/15/2016

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    ^^^What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I would say that the last thing that the media wants or the Left.wants is an actual good guy with a gun to stop a shooting.
    It's not about the guns or the crime. It's about the control.

The objective of gun control is to stamp out the culture that believes there are things the government simply can't do for you, and for which the individual must take responsibility. Guns are a totem to both sides because no other object so perfectly crystallizes that reality, and exposure to the crystallizing focus can change minds. All freedom can be sacrificed, and the government still won't be able to do these things. The Left cannot succeed as long as there are people who understand that.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List