Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: “How do you propose to end mass shootings then?”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Would be interesting to see if the ACLU gets involved for violations of his rights.
    Why would the American Communist Lawyers Union do that?
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

“How do you propose to end mass shootings then?”

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    1. Women want to have children.

2. Men want to have sex and some want to produce children.
    I think it’s more that teenage boys and girls want to have sex. Girls get pregnant.

Solutions include better education, birth control, and easy access to abortion. Freqkonomics did a podcast a while back about how crime rates declined when better abortion options became available.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-21-2019 at 01:53 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I think it’s more that teenage boys and girls want to have sex. Girls get pregnant.

Solutions include better education, birth control, and easy access to abortion. Freqkonomics did a podcast a while back about how crime rates declined when better abortion options became available.

Our public schools are all about "sex education".

Contraceptives are easy to obtain and in many cases free.

There is "easy access" to abortion. Planned Parenthood and the like are everywhere.

It's been like this for, oh, a few decades now. Your so-called solutions have already been implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Our public schools are all about "sex education".

Contraceptives are easy to obtain and in many cases free.

There is "easy access" to abortion. Planned Parenthood and the like are everywhere.

It's been like this for, oh, a few decades now. Your so-called solutions have already been implemented.
    Your'e so fucking wrong, it hurts to read your post.
    You are almost implying that taking personal responsibility for ones actions, either abstaining, or using birth control, or Lord help us, sticking around and being a providing parent would help the situation.
    Nah, nope, no way that would help at all.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    Repeatedly I saw girls continue to get pregnant even though their doctors had put them on oral contraceptives after the first pregnancy. To use an expression, they got pregnant with birth control pills in the dresser drawer. Some lacked motivation to take the pill. Some were too disorganized to take them. Some chose to get pregnant to have a baby with certain guys. Some liked the attention from peers. Many enjoyed welfare benefits. Few were violating cultural norms. Teen pregnancy lacked stigma. Their mothers and grandmothers and aunts had been teen mothers. Some had low intelligence. Because of enormous effort to provide services to teen mothers, in many cases these services enabled them to continue. When I expressed concern about teen pregnancy issues, I risked raising the ire of minority teachers who often saw my comments as an indictment of their race. I speak as I write and am neither insensitive nor dim witted. This topic is one of several that can't be discussed.

QFT:

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Repeatedly I saw girls continue to get pregnant even though their doctors had put them on oral contraceptives after the first pregnancy. To use an expression, they got pregnant with birth control pills in the dresser drawer. Some lacked motivation to take the pill. Some were too disorganized to take them. Some chose to get pregnant to have a baby with certain guys. Some liked the attention from peers. Many enjoyed welfare benefits. Few were violating cultural norms. Teen pregnancy lacked stigma. Their mothers and grandmothers and aunts had been teen mothers. Some had low intelligence. Because of enormous effort to provide services to teen mothers, in many cases these services enabled them to continue. When I expressed concern about teen pregnancy issues, I risked raising the ire of minority teachers who often saw my comments as an indictment of their race. I speak as I write and am neither insensitive nor dim witted. This topic is one of several that can't be discussed.
    Moral of the story: You cannot save people from themselves.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    I advocate continuing to try to help people but become enraged that those from within the culture, those who are leaders, refuse to address issues. High incidence of teen pregnancy and high incidence of new HiV cases are never discussed. The subjects are taboo. When brought up elsewhere, they make people feel uncomfortable. Hence, they are taboo. I hear shit like, "They need love." Compassion is needed but must go beyond lip service. I don't see much guidance. I see a lot of folks who walk around and grin and draw big salaries and blow buzz words out their asses. Despite my anger, I criticize lack of action and not the people caught up in this misery. I know a great deal about buzz words. I wrote a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    QFT:

Moral of the story: You cannot save people from themselves.
    Simple, help them find the ability to break the cycle, saves them and saves every one else in the process. WIN WIN
    Like @willie said, glad handing and lip service isn't going to cut it.

A whole lot of promises get made during the election cycle, how many of them ever get fulfilled?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Simple, help them find the ability to break the cycle, saves them and saves every one else in the process. WIN WIN
    Like @willie said, glad handing and lip service isn't going to cut it.

A whole lot of promises get made during the election cycle, how many of them ever get fulfilled?
    There are those who, even if the "ability to break the cycle" exists, are simply unwilling to avail themselves of the opportunity. You cannot save them from themselves. You cannot help those who are unwilling to be helped no matter how much you want them to want that help. You may like it, but there it is.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 08-21-2019 at 09:17 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    There are those who, even if the "ability to break the cycle" exists, are simply unwilling to avail themselves of the opportunity. You cannot save them from themselves. You cannot help those who are unwilling to be helped no matter how much you want them to want that help. You may like it, but there it is.
    Oh, I agree. But they are a small minority of the big picture. For many, it's all they know. It's easy for us, on the outside looking in, to sit in judgement. But, when every day is a fight for survival, be it from peer on peer violence, drugs, economic captivity, or lack of a viable education, just making it Monday to Sunday is a sometimes lofty goal, let alone thinking of "breaking cycles" or personal betterment.

Public housing is as bad as the Native American reservation plan. Basically holding folks hostage in exchange for freebies. After a few generations, people just seem to forget the face of their fathers, and remain willing captives to the system. You don't need fucking chains to enslave people, just oppress them for a few generations, and make them fear getting away from the only support system they know.

And "Community Leaders", why would they want their community members to rise and succeed? If people move away to better employment and housing, their power base shrinks, and they become less relevant.

I don't know the answers, but I think they start with a better education system, and a strengthening of family values.

This whole issue is like a bacterial based skin infection. We can keep scraping off the scabs and putting on fresh bandages, or we can start administering a course of the proper antibiotics and start curing the root causes.
    Last edited by wvincent; 08-21-2019 at 09:55 PM.

User Tag List